Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2014, 12:10   #61

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: Man Found Dead In Life Raft

I have had more problems with run away diesel stoves, than I have ever had with propane burners. The key to keeping propane safe, is shut off the tank unless it is in use right then, insure that your fittings are gas tight, insure there is no damage to the piping/hose, frequent inspections and testing with soapy water will tell you if you have a problem. Keeping things clean, tight, and chafe free is your best insurance.
Old 29-03-2014, 13:10   #62
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
I have had more problems with run away diesel stoves, than I have ever had with propane burners. The key to keeping propane safe, is shut off the tank unless it is in use right then, insure that your fittings are gas tight, insure there is no damage to the piping/hose, frequent inspections and testing with soapy water will tell you if you have a problem. Keeping things clean, tight, and chafe free is your best insurance.
Same here, actually.

The only thing that has ever exploded in my life was a Dickinson Lofoten diesel heater. The explosion separated the chimney from the stove and blew the cast iron lid off.
oceannavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 13:10   #63

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Right on!

I've worked with 5000 psi CNG. It's not that hard to do a monthly maintenance check, along with the other important items on ones CHECK LIST.
Old 29-03-2014, 16:54   #64

Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'
Re: British yachtsman found dead on burnt out life raf

I will go with the theory that there was a fire and with the training and background he tried to save his vessel and it got out of hand. Explaining why the raft and papers got out.

My pops ran back inside our burning house to get his phone to call 911 because he could not wake anyone up. Amazingly he did get back out. Granted he went through some training back in the Navy but he was trying to call for help.

Now to this diesel fumes being combustible? I'd like to see that. There is a suction line just it's better to have a few inches of extremely high pressure then let's say 15 feet of ultra high preasure. Also a diesel would never be able to work if it had a carb. It's the fine atomization from high psi in the thousands being forced through the injector combined with extreme compression heating up the air igniting the fuel. A electric fuel pump may put out 80 to 100 psi before the regulator in a gas tank and it is a sealed motor. What about the older rusted tanks or non evaporated system vehicles with a electric fuel pump how do they not just explode with all that fresh air combining with the fumes at the turn of the key?

wondering around with no destionation
Wonderinlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 17:21   #65

Boat: PETERSON 44

I am going with he was a secret agent that smuggled his girl out of town a day before shark faced killers swam up and broke his arm. killing him with asphyxia they then glued him to his liferaft. Set the boat on fire and vanished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 18:03   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderinlost View Post
I will go with the theory that there was a fire and with the training and background he tried to save his vessel and it got out of hand. Explaining why the raft and papers got out.

My pops ran back inside our burning house to get his phone to call 911 because he could not wake anyone up. Amazingly he did get back out. Granted he went through some training back in the Navy but he was trying to call for help.

Now to this diesel fumes being combustible? I'd like to see that. There is a suction line just it's better to have a few inches of extremely high pressure then let's say 15 feet of ultra high preasure. Also a diesel would never be able to work if it had a carb. It's the fine atomization from high psi in the thousands being forced through the injector combined with extreme compression heating up the air igniting the fuel. A electric fuel pump may put out 80 to 100 psi before the regulator in a gas tank and it is a sealed motor. What about the older rusted tanks or non evaporated system vehicles with a electric fuel pump how do they not just explode with all that fresh air combining with the fumes at the turn of the key?

OK, ask yourself why they sell diesel powered stoves, diesel powered heaters. Hmmm, must be the power of mass hysteria that creates the heat, since apparently diesel doesn't burn.

Do a youtube search for truck wrecks, and ask yourself what is it that is catching on fire and burning the truck up. Must be all of that gasoline in the diesel truck's fuel tanks.

Some diesel fuel systems have a lift pump just outside of the fuel tank, but it's never mounted inside of the tank. Do a Google search if you don't believe me. It would be easier for packaging and cooling to mount the pump inside of the tank, just like every gas auto, but they don't do it. Believe it or not, makes no difference to me.

Gasoline has a much higher vapor pressure, so even if the tank is vented to the air, gas vapors are always seeping out. That's why modern cars have carbon filter canisters to trap the vapors.

Anyway, my final and most important thoughts on all of this:

My deepest condolences to his family and loved ones. What a truly tragic end to his life. R.I.P.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 18:32   #67

Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'

Socaldmax the heaters, stoves, and oil broilers in many peoples homes, schools, hospitols all work in a different fashion then in a IC (internal combustion) motor. The fuel is still atomized as it is pumped under pressure out of a nozzle a small hole making the fuel misting not vapors. With a open igniyion source mostly today is a electric almost spark plug device instead of compression. Diesel fumes do not ignite. I do not need to do a YouTube search. I am a tow truck operator currently have driven these tractor trailers for many of miles. Oh gosh should I even mention about white diesel? That's even more violent then diesel alone :gasp:. I do also work on and do little diagnosing with the equipment I run and understand the theory involved on how and why and what's the difference between fuels. The diesel in a truck wreck is already under severe heat and many fires on those trucks start from hot oil appx 35 quarts of 15w40 that's already around 200 degrees or a break of the fuel line of fuel that may be close to 150 to 200 degrees to start making contact to a 1500 degree exhaust manifold from the trauma of the accident. Yeah take a Chevy suburban with the duramax diesel there is a lift pump on the frame rail. That means what? A example that it's there? I know they have em changed one last year. I really wanted that suburban to the customer sold it on me.

Before I even try to explain what the charcoal canister and evap system is on a gas car those are sealed and not much air enters. There are still the older cars with a electric fuel pump in the tank without the canisters that are so rusted you can smell the gas evaporating out and they have not blown up. The fuel pump as I mentioned is sealed. It's OK tho. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Wonderinlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 18:54   #68
cruiser

Diesel vapor can indeed ignite and therefore explode, just as dust in a grain elevator can explode.

It happened to me.

I hadva Dickinson Lofoten heater. The heatert burns diesel by super heating the diesel to create a diesel vapor, which readily ignites.

If you end up with a quantity of this vapor filling the stove body somehow, which I did, then you go to light the stove....

BOOM!

The diesel stove explodes.

So... it would be incorrect to say diesel can't ignite or explode. Once heated (by another fire), it can easily vaporize and even explode.

I did go back for more! lol

I now have a Dickinson Newport propane heater. Never a problem in 4 years of use. The difference is that the Lofoten creates the combustible diesel fumes by heating a pool of diesel in a pan. Not easily controlled. The Newport propane model uses a precise valve to give you control of the propane, so no uncontrolled propane filling the heater is possible, unless you screw up.
oceannavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 07:33   #69

Man Found Dead In Life Raft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
Am I the only one who noticed that the gym teacher owned a 58' boat? Those gym teacher jobs must pay better than I thought.

LOL! I teach science and have a 45' boat. Of course, I've taught 20+ years (18 when we bought our boat). We made good investments then sold all and bought a boat.Got lucky-sold property when economy was just going down then bought boat when economy was low for boats. Best investment ever as far as return-in joy and memories!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:47   #70

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

If the fire is in between the radio and you there isn't any message going out.
If it was an explosion, which seems most likely, he would have been burnt and most likely concussed, neither of which leads to a very good outcome. He was most likely in shock as a result ( I know, I've been there) and could only have been functioning on a rudimentary level.
Most ditch bags with the documents found floating are left in an easy to access place, or should be. The life raft was fire damaged too leads me to believe it was a quick and consuming blast/fire event. When your flesh is burning the only thought in your mind is to get as far away as fast as you can, it's extremely hard to think clearly in that state.
I'll wait for the official report before making any further guesses.
I do know that I check my gas system on a regular basis, especially the flexible connecting hoses. Don't ever want to be in a burn unit again.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 19:03   #71

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Maybe he was cooking something and it went BOOM!

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rd-123782.html
Old 05-04-2014, 14:30   #72

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Where was OJ when it happened?

Tags
yacht