Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2012, 07:20   #61

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
L 38 has an agenda I have read things there, posted by mods and admin that are unbelievable. I no longer go there.
Old 27-08-2012, 07:25   #62

Re: Mexico...a Changing Place

Unlike in the US a cruiser in Mexico stands out like a sore thumb...

And law enforcement is a tad less vigorous...

I've lived in south or central Texas for 50 years and for the last 20 or so years the mantra has been,: take nothing into Mexico that you wouldn't want top leave there" AND THAT INCLUDES YOUR LIFE...

I have lots of friends who have family still in Mexico and they absolutely, to the man, hate going back.. Especially the ones with lots to lose...

Mexico SUCKS......

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 07:32   #63

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Chicago as neighborhoods , some neighborhoods, are dangerous. Are the marinas dangerous? Doubt they are a hood culture.

To go to Mexico and do well there, you have to know where you are doing, you have to speak the language, and don't stick out like a tourist. You should also hide the appearance of money. Hard to do sitting on a big sailboat. I personally would never go to within a 100 miles of that border. Even as far away as Phoenix AZ. It is a hot spot for Mexican violence. The old days of Mark, Lucas and the little town being protected by Mica are pretty well over.
Old 27-08-2012, 07:46   #64
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

tourists are actually not fair game in mexico, in case you have not realized that-- mexico protects their tourist business well. the violencia that the usa rabid journalists holler about is not as bad as they proclaim. there is violence, yes, but there is a problem with usa and the sales of munitions and arms across the border and with the drugs cartels sell to usa and other wealthy locales. this makes the border towns very violent--more so than the rest of mexico. where there are main roads that connect easily with the north there are also outbursts of violence as the cartel/narcos move their products on them and claim territory and have turf wars. these do not affect the tourist population.
my intelligence sources are expats and dea agents i met here while being a cruising tourist -- these souls have been in place for over 10 years.
yes we can hear the gunfire occasionally---and we see corpses occasionally and we see headless souls on posts--these are results of messing with the cartel/narcos. don't mess in the spiders web and you should not be in danger.
who is still counting on the force being with them?? rofl. i think most everyone here has grown up somewhat, despite still playing with toys.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 07:59   #65

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Heck New Orleans has one of the highest Murder rates in the US ! and we go there all the time !! ya don't go up town where the drug dealers rule !! but the French Qtr, has great music, food and crazy folks LOL Ya still need to keep your eyes open and know whats going on around you !! but those are rules everyone should be aware of !! All I know is Mexico has been good to us and we like it there !! ya lock your stuff and leave your deck lights on at night! But heck we do that at home down the Bayou !! Just sayin watch your back anywhere ya go Mexico or New Orleans, LA, Chi Town and so on!!
Old 27-08-2012, 08:05   #66

Boat: OEM, proportional

Quote:
New Orleans has one of the highest Murder rates in the US ! and we go there all the time !!
Hmmmm. I hope those aren't directly related phenomena....
Old 27-08-2012, 08:19   #67

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

No micah, I stoped all that in 1969 when I came home if ya don't know from where theres no help for ya !
Old 27-08-2012, 08:23   #68

i LOVE NOLA--- am aiming to get there before all my friends die off.....could be a close one...
Old 27-08-2012, 08:38   #69

Quote:
No micah, I stoped all that in 1969 when I came home if ya don't know from where theres no help for ya !
Oh, you were over there. My deepest condolences to you and your buddies. To what extent has that experience helped you with a cruiser's nose for danger of the two-legged kind?
Old 27-08-2012, 09:05   #70

Boat: Pearson 34-II

there is violence, yes, but there is a problem with usa and the sales of munitions and arms across the border and with the drugs cartels sell to usa --Zeehag

So, if I understand this correctly, the violence and crime in Mexico is not their fault but rather the fault of the USA since arms have been sold to the Mexican Cartels by unscrupulous criminals and the stupidity of Eric Holder, our Attorney General, in the "fast and furious" scandal. So, with that reasoning, simply remove the gun sales and Mexico will once again become the idyllic paradise I remember from the 70"s. Thanks for the clarification. Good luck and good sailing.
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 09:31   #71

the violencia in mexico is cartel vs policia and other narcos violence. is not involving usa tourists or other tourists. is narco on narco or narco on police. these are funded by usa and usa gun sales to mexico over the border of usa--smuggling guns. is just as evil as smuggling drugs or humans. does not involve tourists unless the tourist is collateral damage or unless that tourist contributes to the narco problem.
the drug war is a munitions and human smuggling war also and is profitable to usa gummint--wanna research?? go ahead-- you will see this cycle and the problems caused by it. the people of mexico are good folks. narcos and the violencia therefrom are not good souls.

if you think the regular people of mexico is where the violencia is coming from, please find the place in any publication that so states and quote it and source. everything published and seen has been otherwise. is not the normal every day mexican who is a narco. is cartel and money. follow it. research it. then make statements. all ye have to do is call dea and converse for a bit. if you wish to read--look up in any publication that publishes about la violencia in mexico. this has been ongoing for decades--not just since 1970s, btw. and no one ever said was an idyllic paradise here. rofl.
Old 27-08-2012, 10:32   #72
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
there is violence, yes, but there is a problem with usa and the sales of munitions and arms across the border and with the drugs cartels sell to usa --Zeehag

So, if I understand this correctly, the violence and crime in Mexico is not their fault but rather the fault of the USA since arms have been sold to the Mexican Cartels by unscrupulous criminals and the stupidity of Eric Holder, our Attorney General, in the "fast and furious" scandal. So, with that reasoning, simply remove the gun sales and Mexico will once again become the idyllic paradise I remember from the 70"s. Thanks for the clarification. Good luck and good sailing.

So how come the attempt to get Holder fired failed? The answer is because the whole F&F "scandal" was manufactured. It never happened. Read this award winning Fortune article, wherein they investigated the issue in depth. The whole problem is caused by the NRA's gun lobby, which had tied the hands of ATF agents in Arizona legally speaking. It's because the whole moronic Gun Show thing is considered untouchable by that lobby. What the suspects who were being surveilled were doing was perfectly legal, and the ATF could not prosecute. Read the article if you actually care about the issue, it's quite revealing.

The truth about the Fast and Furious scandal - Fortune Features

Don't get me wrong, I dislike Holder as much as the next guy. But not because of this manufactered garbage. More because an AG with no balls is useless, where's the prosecutions on Wall Street?
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 10:45   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post

Surely it was just an oversight, and you meant to place the blame squarely on the shoulders of Alberto Gonzalez who was AG when the F&F 'idea' was implemented, and Michael Mukasey who continued it, AND Eric Holder, right? I mean it would be pretty unfair for you to hold a guy accountable for (probably) not knowing about a program but giving a guy that created it a pass... right?

Eric Holder stated, "If you want to talk about Fast and Furious, I'm the Attorney General that put an end to the misguided tactics that were used in Fast and Furious. An Attorney General who I suppose you would hold in higher regard was briefed on these kinds of tactics in an operation called Wide Receiver and did nothing to stop them -- nothing. Three hundred guns, at least, walked in that instance." Holder cited a briefing paper on "Wide Receiver", later clarified to be about the Fidel Hernandez case, prepared for Holder's predecessor, U.S. Attorney General Michael Mukasey in 2007.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 10:46   #74

Quote:
where's the prosecutions on Wall Street?
He who pays the piper gets to call the tune.....
Old 27-08-2012, 10:47   #75

Boat: Pearson 281

Minaret.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote