Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2013, 17:29   #136

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason
Re: Mexico confiscated 380 yachts?? Any confirmation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
I would immediately contact your embassy in country and get them on the problem. Seizing foreign flagged vessels is a violation of a number of treaties.It may also be worth contacting the US embassy and get them involved, since there are likely more US vessels involved than those from NZ. taking them all as a package may get faster results than dealing with them one by one.
What International Treaty makes it illegal for a country to arrest a foreign flagged vessel for violating local Maritime Laws?

I think a lot of cocaine smugglers would like to know...

Old 13-12-2013, 17:33   #137

Boat: Tayana 37
re: Mexico confiscated 380 yachts - MERGED THREADS

I can't speak for the other's affected by this, but the problem we had was the paperwork the MARINA had on file. We did everything by the book when we entered Mexico.
Old 13-12-2013, 17:51   #138

Boat: Corbin 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Here is some good advice when cruising, and dealing with government officials, whether in the US or somewhere else. "When they want apples, give them apples. When they want oranges, give them oranges." All that means, is just give them whatever they want, even if you think it's stupid, or useless, or whatever, and move on. Don't get upset and don't get stressed. Believe me, its just another day in the job to them, and nothing personal, and if you will treat it this way, it won't get personal. The whole point of cruising is for stress free fun and adventure. Why try and make it something else?
Good advice, well put!
Old 13-12-2013, 19:11   #139

Mexico. Take nothing there that you aren't willing to leave behind. I've live most of my 66 years in south or central Texas. We USED to go to Mexico all the time. I've driven to Belize from Texas more times than I can count IN THE PAST. Not anymore, thank you very much.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
Old 13-12-2013, 19:42   #140
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
Mexico. Take nothing there that you aren't willing to leave behind. I've live most of my 66 years in south or central Texas. We USED to go to Mexico all the time. I've driven to Belize from Texas more times than I can count IN THE PAST. Not anymore, thank you very much.
And it continues....

Comparing the Texas/Mexico border towns to the areas visited by cruising boats is about as helpful as comparing...well...I'll say it...A Mexican Taco Cart Taco to a McDonalds McCrapper....meaningless
Old 15-12-2013, 15:23   #141
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

third day and jeremiasson both said exactly what it is.
too many cruisers flout the rules here. also too many talk about the subject as if they do it.
this is a napoleonic code based legal system, exactly opposite usa.
complying with mexican law is easy and not a convoluted affair.
checking in is very easy.
there is no reason not to keep all`papers current.

i know of 2 boats in mazatlan that were seized by mexico for running drugs. one is now privately owned and the other is a reef for fishies.
Old 16-12-2013, 01:52   #142

Boat: Tayana 42

Update from an owner of a temporarily impounded boat.

Marina informed me the boat had been impounded and to wait until the marina met with lawyers. Paperwork was available and in order no reason for the impoundment was given.

New Zealand consulate informed. They contacted SAT and the Marina. Explanation given by SAT was the boats would be impounded until they could verify the documents.

Acknowledgement that the Lawyers were given the confiscated boats documents.

Marina informed us the process of releasing the boats could take 4 MONTHS. To speed things up the marina requested I send either the original documents including proof of ownership, TIP and ships registration. I have done this.

Marina informed me I could also take the originals or notarized documents to the SAT office myself.

Marina informed me that some other owners have cleared their boats themselves with SAT by taking them the original documents.

Marina reiterated to me and other owners not to leave the dock.

That it for now.
Old 16-12-2013, 05:55   #143

Boat: Tayana 37

Tarzan, where is your boat located?

The other cruisers here in San Carlos have said others that have been "tagged" have had the situation resolved pretty quickly.

YIKES 4 months, that won't work for us.

We are heading into the marina office today to check and see if the lawyers say it is ok for us to leave.

Will let you know how it goes.
Old 16-12-2013, 07:39   #144
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Copies of documents, are not typically accepted by Mexico officials: Customs, Immigration, Aduana. This isn't that different than the Estados Unidos, I just was at the Post Office to replace my lost passport and I needed Orginal copies of the documents. It sounds like some of the boats having problems clearing themselves are not able to present orginal copies. My TIP sticker is attached to my boat window by the way, so even if I was inspected while away from the boat, the authorities could see the orginal.
Old 16-12-2013, 08:38   #145

Boat: Caliber 40

Just received an e-mail from cruiser friend who was not at his slip in San Carlos for the last month - they and their boat were cruising in the Bahia Concepcion area since Thanksgiving. He just returned to the San Carlos Marina.

The marina informed him that the "inspectors" said his TIP must be "amended" to be in compliance with regulations. The marina can not tell him:

- what must be amended
- how it would be amended
- who need to review and approve the amendment
- where he should go to get advice
- if it is legal to move his boat

He was told that the "inspectors" took down his boat name and slip number and would come back to impound his boat when he returned

This is the fourth time in 15 years that my friend has been cruising in Mexico. He is absolutely anal about paperwork and is very proud of his Spanish language skills and his ability to negotiate the Mexican bureaucracy.

My friend spent three days last week trying to figure out what is expected of him and what he must do - NADA!

We were planning to leave for Baja next month for our third cruise there but are now beginning to wonder if that would be prudent?
Old 16-12-2013, 09:02   #146

tacoma...there have been no federales here in barra area. i was in marina during purge and there was absolutely no activity. i did not check with users of ixtapa marina and south, but it seems the purge was in the areas frequented by most souls who disregard paperworks by history and where the loudmouths brag on not having legal ones.

carry papers with you and make sure they are in good order and current.
Old 16-12-2013, 09:20   #147

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Zee,

Keep your head firmly in the sand and they will get around to you eventually. There people with confiscated boats who followed all the rules and had all the papers.
Old 16-12-2013, 10:29   #148

Boat: Caliber 40

zeehag said: "carry papers with you and make sure they are in good order and current."

And if the papers are in order and the marina officials say the papers are in order AND you are told they are not in order but given no further guidance.... WHAT THEN?

If you are told to update your papers but not told what to update or how to update or where to update or who to ask for help ... WHAT THEN?

Many people, with apparently valid paperwork, are reporting the same problem - are they all sofflaws, incompotent, or negligent cruisers?
Old 16-12-2013, 11:28   #149

Boat: Tayana 42

Our boat is in Ensenada
Old 16-12-2013, 11:32   #150

so keeping open communications with port captains is head in the sand?? lol.
in teresting.....i did so enjoy hearing their interpretations of gringos checking into their ports over beer and pizza. shame. i will miss that almost as much as helping judge the regattas...lol that was a kick.
Closed Thread

Tags
Mexico