Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2013, 02:35   #166

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
re: Mexico confiscated 380 yachts - MERGED THREADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodoVelaMexico View Post
Here's an update from Lectronic Latitude that one could say properly describes the situation.

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude
Crud ! Let's hope they take next week off.

-Sven
Old 21-12-2013, 09:05   #167

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodoVelaMexico View Post
Here's an update from Lectronic Latitude that one could say properly describes the situation.

I find Latitude 38s new view on the situation comical. It went from "don't worry about it" to a heightened panic after getting their boat impounded.
For myself, I'm a little concerned because my boat is a pre hull number vessel. Hull numbers were required by manufacturers to have hull numbers engraved or molded on the transom. I doubt AGACE knows this. I'll just have to see what happens.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 21-12-2013, 09:22   #168

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

sorry to say this but I'm glad to be headed west in the spring instead of south..
See Ya in The Islands...............
Old 21-12-2013, 09:23   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I find Latitude 38s new view on the situation comical. It went from "don't worry about it" to a heightened panic after getting their boat impounded.
For myself, I'm a little concerned because my boat is a pre hull number vessel. Hull numbers were required by manufacturers to have hull numbers engraved or molded on the transom. I doubt AGACE knows this. I'll just have to see what happens.
Point of clarification from the net discussion we had this AM in La Paz. The boats aren't really impounded, just told they can not leave. Still a royal pain if it happens to you.

We were also told that the documentation number should be used if you don't have a stamped VIN. Of course, you have to have the doc # carved into a structural member as specified in the US vessel documentation rules, if you are US documented.

-Sven
Old 21-12-2013, 09:26   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
sorry to say this but I'm glad to be headed west in the spring instead of south..
See Ya in The Islands...............
Randy...Haven't you heard?...French Polynesia has been secretly monitoring this forum and selected key bad elements from all your past posts and are waiting for you to dock. Since you own a Beneteau, they are going to impound your boat as returning French property and you will be taxed accordingly.
Trust me on this...I heard it on another forum in another thread based on 100% fact...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 21-12-2013, 09:48   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenG View Post
Point of clarification from the net discussion we had this AM in La Paz. The boats aren't really impounded, just told they can not leave. Still a royal pain if it happens to you.

We were also told that the documentation number should be used if you don't have a stamped VIN. Of course, you have to have the doc # carved into a structural member as specified in the US vessel documentation rules, if you are US documented.

-Sven
Yup...That's what I'm hoping. I have a carved teak plaque in the boat. When we're raided, we'll see what happens. To me...they should check out the boats that have anchored for eons in the Ensenada here in La Paz. Judging from the layers of bird crap on their deck, they haven't seen an owner for years. Let alone any updated documentation.
Old 21-12-2013, 09:52   #172
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
To me...they should check out the boats that have anchored for eons in the Ensenada here in La Paz. Judging from the layers of bird crap on their deck, they haven't seen an owner for years. Let alone any updated documentation.
Amen Amen...some of those boats are the same ones we first saw there on our first trip to La Paz back in 2007...

And lets not even get started in talking about all the illegal moorings being dropped in La Paz and the Puerto Escondido "Waiting to Sink Room"....

now there is something for the authorities to really crack down on....
Old 21-12-2013, 10:02   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Amen Amen...some of those boats are the same ones we first saw there on our first trip to La Paz back in 2007...

And lets not even get started in talking about all the illegal moorings being dropped in La Paz and the Puerto Escondido "Waiting to Sink Room"....

now there is something for the authorities to really crack down on....
Ya...I love how the right of entitlement rule applies. If you want to hoard a spot in an anchorage and take off for an undefined amount of time, merely drop a weight over the side with a crappy fender on it and it's saved for you upon your return if they ever do.
I think a reason why AGACE would never hassle anchor outs is because there is no place to impound the boats to! I would estimate 20% out of compliance.
Old 21-12-2013, 10:07   #174
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
I think a reason why AGACE would never hassle anchor outs is because there is no place to impound the boats to! I would estimate 20% out of compliance.

After 4yrs of anchoring out exclusively around the anchorages in Mexcio....I'd say closer to 50-60% noncompliance.
Old 21-12-2013, 11:14   #175
cbp

It is real, our boat also is impounded in Ensenada although everything is in perfect order. Very scary to be the subject of such a high-handed action by a government entity. If and when we get our boat back, we are canceling all future plans to cruise, or even visit, Mexico - EVER.

Latitude 38 just posted a news story on this situation yesterday - here's the link:

Old 21-12-2013, 11:22   #176

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

We have spent years been getting ready for our first extended cruise to Mexico. Getting our boat, our lives, etc. ready is a Herculean effort. We applied for Residente Temporal to stay for a year and intend to do everything Mexico requires of us as correctly and completely as we can. We were just about to leave from SoCal a week from now. But, based on what has been happening to cruising boats there, we just decided not to enter Mexico until this is resolved. I understand Mexico has the right to enforce its laws about importation and that every country has its Bureaucracy, but we will not take the chance of getting caught up in this. We will spend our time, weeks or months, cruising from San Diego to Santa Barbara, Catalina, Channel Islands, etc instead. A missed opportunity for us and a lot of USD spent here rather than in Mexico. I hope Mexico can get this straightened out quickly and all of the boats involved will be released soon. These kinds of problems between friendly neighbors do no good on either side of the boarder.
Old 21-12-2013, 11:36   #177
cbp

We have our TIP and all other paperwork absolutely correct. That is what makes this so scary - that boats that followed the rules are still impounded, and that even after presenting evidence to that effect
we are still not released.
Old 21-12-2013, 11:38   #178
CLOD

Boat: none

seems the lesson is that if you are going to be leaving your boat that you ensure that the marina has a copy of your paperwork
Old 21-12-2013, 11:40   #179
cbp

The marina had a copy of the paperwork and we did not leave the boat.
Old 21-12-2013, 11:46   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbp View Post
The marina had a copy of the paperwork and we did not leave the boat.
What was the rationale given, if any ?

-Sven
Closed Thread

Tags
Mexico