Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2010, 04:22   #121

Boat: Catalina 30
Our "house sitter" is currently visiting her dad in Texas. We felt safe living on the boat. Eventually we moved the boat to Jones Maritime and it was great to step off the stern unto the dock and walk up and down the boardwalk. There have been a few muggings there but not to the people that looked "prepared"
Most of the islands have the same or worst problems and it is not worth it to visit them again to then have to lock your self up in your boat. BTW same as in a house.
The condo has a view of the harbor with the boats on their moorings and the yachts comming and going. We can walk into town in 10-15 minutes and enjoy some of the best restaurants in the Caribbean.
The boat is for sale mostly because of my age and the difficulty of doing the same tasks that were easy before. It was time to let it go.
At least we got to visit the islands when there were no worries about getting boarded or shot or whatever.
We found that St. Croix is the best island to live at anchor. Not enough yachts to steal from. The locals rather go for easier pickings on the island, mostly among them selves and mostly in the west.
cayennita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 07:16   #122

Boat: West Wight Potter 19
Anyone have an update on this situation?
Homespun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 13:09   #123

Boat: 42 US YACHT

Please see post #113 on this thread for Mikes response as it seems that he's healing well and is headed down Island for the hurricane season, as follows:
Quote:
David,
That is so kind of you to offer me your reserve laptop.
I discovered that my credit cards were not taken from their hiding place and they work, so was able to buy a replacement MacBook here at Blue Point. The Indian owner heard of my plight and gave me a good deal.
Thanks for the well wishes. I am healing very well, the pain is mostly gone and i can chew again. I have one more appointment with the face surgeon and then I will head south to the Grenadines.
I won't be here after next week, but thanks for the offer. I will return to the area in November for the new season.
Mike Harker
WanderLust 3
boatrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 15:21   #124
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
THis was a good thread

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 16:43   #125

Boat: West Wight Potter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatrips View Post
Please see post #113 on this thread for Mikes response as it seems that he's healing well and is headed down Island for the hurricane season, as follows:
David,
That is so kind of you to offer me your reserve laptop.
I discovered that my credit cards were not taken from their hiding place and they work, so was able to buy a replacement MacBook here at Blue Point. The Indian owner heard of my plight and gave me a good deal.
Thanks for the well wishes. I am healing very well, the pain is mostly gone and i can chew again. I have one more appointment with the face surgeon and then I will head south to the Grenadines.
I won't be here after next week, but thanks for the offer. I will return to the area in November for the new season.
Mike Harker
WanderLust 3
Thanks, boatrips. I did see that, but was curious if there had been any updates since then, such as whether his last surgery went well and whether there were any prosecutions of the perpetrators, etc.
Homespun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 09:59   #126

Boat: S2 11.0A
Does anyone know where is Mike now? Did he actually return to St. Martin after his terrible experience? I would find it hard to go back.
Panama Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:29   #127

Captain Mike Harker, of "The Wanderlust"..................

was my friend for over 50 years, I just heard about Mike's passing last friday in Marigot. I am NOT a sailor but I have been around boat racing since I met Mike in 1961, we ski raced together,behind 18 ft. flat bottom boats. I'm trying to find out ANY info as to whether or not Mike's death was a result of the beating he took awhile back when his boat was boarded while anchored in the harbor. All we know at this time we got from a post on another site, stating it was thought he had a stroke. Me and a couple other "old ski racers" were gonna meet Mike up in San Francisco at the boat show later this month. The attached pics are of Mike riding a skyski when he was here in the states.....
all of us ALWAY's looked forward to the rare occasion when Mike was here in America. If anybody know's of another sail boat forum this could be posted on , please let me know.
thanks in advance, and sorry for such a long read on the 1st post.

Denny Scales
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mh 1.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	389.4 KB
ID:	25935   Click image for larger version

Name:	mh 2.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	25936  

skyskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:18   #128
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Re: Mike Harker Savagely Beaten In Carribean

Oh, very sad news. RIP Mike!
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:42   #129

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Re: Captain Mike Harker, of "The Wanderlust"..................

Please accept my condolences on the loss of your friend. Very sad news indeed.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 13:46   #130

Boat: Cabo Rico

Apparently he did make it there. He died of a stroke in marigot. I wouldn't doubt that the beating last year led to the stroke. I hope they find those people.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 14:15   #131

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

"He was an inspiration. His life read like an action adventure novel," Gary recalled. "That Mike survived the horrific accident in Grenada is a testament to the man's character. He knew about music, he loved the sea, he was a gentleman.

RIP
Old 07-04-2011, 14:26   #132

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannySt View Post
Well, the "dog on board" versus "no dog on board" could sure make a difference on someone getting the drop on you.

Unless he is on deck, and like so many dogs, also barks at the other 99% of well meaning cruisers who are just taking a dinghy ride to shore... I sometimes use motion detector alarms in the cockpit. They don't go off from the dinghies just passing by, and are still considerate of others.
M.
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 14:39   #133

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Mikes passing is such sad news... RIP Mike. M.
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 16:07   #134

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamlicoTraveler
Apparently he did make it there. He died of a stroke in marigot. I wouldn't doubt that the beating last year led to the stroke. I hope they find those people.
This just plain sucks. I felt so bad when I saw what those scum did to him... and then I saw the cruising community reach out to him. Mike will be sorely missed, and left way before his time.

BTW, has anyone ever seen his cruising videos? If you have, could you post a link? I had read about them somewhere, and it would be cool to have a link here. See you on Fiddlers Green, Mike.

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 16:13   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
This just plain sucks. I felt so bad when I saw what those scum did to him... and then I saw the cruising community reach out to him. Mike will be sorely missed, and left way before his time.

BTW, has anyone ever seen his cruising videos? If you have, could you post a link? I had read about them somewhere, and it would be cool to have a link here. See you on Fiddlers Green, Mike.
Around the world with Mike Harker

Wanderlust 3 Sailing Adventure: Latitude 38 Interview - Mike Harker: Part 2

Mike Harker - H-TV Television & Video Productions - Videoproduktionen, TV-Produktionen, Fernsehproduktionen, Fotos, Photos, Drachenfliegen, Segler, Weltumsegler etc.
skyskier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain