Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2010, 13:55   #1

Missing Boater...Suspicious?

Before you read this, I have a few comments. I have sailed this area quite a lot, Nantucket is 30+ miles from Hyannis. March is not a time of year anyone normally transits outside of the ferry boat to Nantucket, especially abnormal is aboard a small boat, 23 feet in this case, small meaning under 50ft, and a well planned trip during best of daylight conditions. The Cape Cod Times reports this story as almost nonchalant, as almost as a typical scenario, but with only with a missing person to report. The boat in question, as photographed, a 23' open console powerboat, with no cabin spaces, as reported to have very sleepable spaces below, are telling of poor news paper reporting and people in the news business of not having a clue, but assuming instead. I'm troubled with this story, what do you think?

Missing Nantucket boater believed drowned

Nantucket police say Jonathan Hemingway, shown with his wife Katherine and daughter Elizabeth, fell off his boat and drowned.Family photo

By K.C. MYERS

kcmyers@capecodonline.com

March 21, 2010

NANTUCKET — Investigators believe Jonathan Hemingway, the 36-year-old father of two who went missing Wednesday, has drowned.
Nantucket police Lt. Jerry Adams said based on an investigation of boat navigation equipment, the Nantucket man went overboard Wednesday, nine miles off the coast of Nantucket.

To read the entire article, go to:

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pb...1/NEWS/3210328

Also see:

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pb...WS11/100329986

and:

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pb...0/NEWS/3200323
Gnitfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 14:14   #2

Photo of boat in question...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bilde.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	14026  
Old 22-03-2010, 14:32   #3

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
2009 Maritime 23 Patriot: Sport Fishing Boats Title

My sympathy's go out to the family

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 14:36   #4

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Gnitfar-
I think you wouldn't make much of a journalist. If you study the article you will realize that the paper was only reporting what they were told by the authorities. The Coast Guard told them that the boat had berths. The Coast Guard said the conditions were calm. These folks apparently live full time on the island, and running back and forth to the mainland would not be unusual to them.
I rather doubt that there is a full time investigative reporter on Nantucket, so a mainland paper probably has to rely on information relayed from the island authorities as well as the USCG.
If you care to do a little investigating yourself you will find that the Maritime company manufactures at least one 23" skiff with a 7' vee berth.
There are some oddities in the story, such as the delay in reporting the husband missing, but I don't blame any of them on the journalists involved.
Old 22-03-2010, 14:52   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Quote:
My sympathy's go out to the family
And mine as well.

But Gnitfar, I found the news report much better written than your critique.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 14:59   #6

You don't think it odd to make a trip to Nantucket, 30 miles, in late winter, aboard a 23' boat, after dark, at 9PM, a bit odd, actually possibly dangerouse, with babies no less, aboard?
Old 22-03-2010, 15:18   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
And mine as well.

But Guitar, I found the news report much better written than your critique.
Obviously you have never sailed the north east Atlantic ocean, to Nantucket, in winter months. Ignorance is bliss! The news report is incomplete, reporting a seemingly unusual account...and anyone boater with common sense might question the story told. I'm not sure I would want to be aboard your boat going anywhere!
Old 22-03-2010, 15:31   #8

I am originally from New England and have sailed to and from Nantucket many times. It’s been a long time, but Nantucket is one of my all time favorite places - in the off season. The locals think nothing of going out in open boats (mostly for fishing) in weather that would scare off "normal" people. And, Mr. Hemingway along with 2 small children evidently made the run from Nantucket to Hyannis with no trouble. In a small fast power boat with calm seas, this is about a 2 hr. run. The high on Wed. March 17th when he made the run to Hyannis was 57 degrees. But, the return voyage was at night. The low for Hyannis on the morning of Thurs. March 18th was 37 degrees. I cannot see myself setting off with a wife and 2 small children in an open boat (even with a V berth) at night with temperatures in the 40s. But if you're from Nantucket and it's St. Patrick's Day ........ why not?

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 15:40   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Gnitfar, if you are going to quote me, please do so accurately. Copy and paste works very well.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 15:41   #10

I have heard several other people state that if you are on your own you should always attach to a jackline. This would seem to bear that out.

Very sad.
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 15:42   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Guitar-
I think you wouldn't make much of a journalist. If you study the article you will realize that the paper was only reporting what they were told by the authorities. The Coast Guard told them that the boat had berths. The Coast Guard said the conditions were calm. These folks apparently live full time on the island, and running back and forth to the mainland would not be unusual to them.
I rather doubt that there is a full time investigative reporter on Nantucket, so a mainland paper probably has to rely on information relayed from the island authorities as well as the USCG.
If you care to do a little investigating yourself you will find that the Maritime company manufactures at least one 23" skiff with a 7' vee berth.
There are some oddities in the story, such as the delay in reporting the husband missing, but I don't blame any of them on the journalists involved.
My point: News journalist often don't have a story straight before they report. There is more to this story, I believe, than has yet been told. As the published story is told, it rings alarm to me, as a boater, which not everyone is, like you and me...Common sense, as seen from a boater, this story is not yet fully told, and it may never be of interest to landlubbers what this story may be all about......Personally, I sympathize for such a loss of life, but I wonder about it! I would never ask anyone to transit with me to such a distance, in the dark, in winter months, with a babies aboard, in unpredictable circumstances, such a voyage.....
Old 22-03-2010, 15:44   #12

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
Tough to grasp

I think we'd all agree that the emotions dealing w an unexpected death can be tough to digest. But it is so easy to 'Monday morning quarterback' someone elses decision, but that's human nature and it wil always be the case. I'm glad I don't have to 'report' on those situations for a living. Certainly anyone of us would roll back the clock and change the story outcome if that were possible. Life is a gift.

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 15:54   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Get Fat, if you are going to quote me, please do so accurately. Copy and paste works very well.
Got a problem? As a captain, of large sea going vessel, I would order you off the bridge!