Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 11:58   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
... Obviously naughty offering charters on an unlicenced vessel - but I can't help wondering if it was priced accordingly............
$3,500 Each x 5 persons = $17,500 total.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:09   #32

Boat: Rainbow 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
The passengers should be grateful that the pricing wasn't on a per-day basis...
Old 03-05-2010, 13:24   #33

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
Although the skipper sounds like a whack job I'll bet the experience will be more than a bit useful should any of the participants ever get over the fear of being trapped on a boat at sea. All useful even if it was hard learned. As for suing the guy I think it would be throwing good money after bad. What are you going to get? The boat and what ever is on it? I'd take a pass on that mess. Scammers like this are all over and as long as there are "fish" out there these guys will keep on fishing............m
Old 05-05-2010, 13:13   #34
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

From today's 'Lectronic Latitude, comes word on the current state-of-play in the case of SS Columbia, and her skipper Boguslaw 'Bob' Norwid:

"More on Bogus Bob

"May 5, 2010 – Southampton, UK

"The extent some people will go to in perpetrating a fraud never ceases to amaze us. Take, for example, the case of Boguslaw 'Bob' Norwid, who is now the focus of scrutiny by the maritime authorities of several nations."

To read the rest of the story, go to:

http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/...5-05&dayid=422 - scroll down to "More on Bogus Bob."

TaoJones
Old 05-05-2010, 13:37   #35
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I thought there were only 3 paying (or did they eat 2? )..........whatever, if he was capable of attracting that sort of business for a 40 day (intended!) trip sounds a bit shortsighted to not be fully registered / legal.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...944/story.html

Even more shortsighted if you know you are not 100% legal to unneccessarily upset the punters
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 04:00   #36
Armchair Bucketeer

Bit of an update............

"The ship captain who refused to allow his novice crew members to call home when their boat went missing for seven weeks off the coast of Chile has had his ship confiscated and his licence revoked."

Skipper is stripped of his ship

Although the rest of the story refers to the Chileans having fined him $2k and having impounded the yacht (which I read as different from confiscated).

A nice trick of the UK MCA to revoke his licence. Given he didn't have one Perhaps referring to the yacht registration having been made to a non existent address (as well as being by a UK non-resident) and therefore simply being invalid.

Even a Facebook support group for "survivors"

Survivors of Robs Discovery Sailing Academy SS Columbia | Facebook
Old 30-05-2010, 05:14   #37

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
........whatever, if he was capable of attracting that sort of business for a 40 day (intended!) trip sounds a bit shortsighted to not be fully registered / legal. . . .
Actually it is quite normal for these type operations to be both unlicensed and not registered for commercial operations. In the southern Windwards I know more than a half dozen such operations where the boat is a private recreational vessel being used to operate paid charters. They are all unlicensed and do not have insurance for commerical operations - if they have any insurance at all. In the Leewards there are many times more such operations.
- - They are sold by word of mouth referrals and are especially attractive to European clients as the prices undercut legitimate paid charter boats. It is difficult for legitimate boats to stay in business with all the unlicensed, uninsured boats undercutting their prices.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2010, 02:38   #38
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Actually it is quite normal for these type operations to be both unlicensed and not registered for commercial operations. In the southern Windwards I know more than a half dozen such operations where the boat is a private recreational vessel being used to operate paid charters. They are all unlicensed and do not have insurance for commerical operations - if they have any insurance at all. In the Leewards there are many times more such operations.
- - They are sold by word of mouth referrals and are especially attractive to European clients as the prices undercut legitimate paid charter boats. It is difficult for legitimate boats to stay in business with all the unlicensed, uninsured boats undercutting their prices.
Sounds a bit like a $50/day operation to me... 5x50=$250/dayx40=$10,000....... he just charged a tad more...... then stretched the time to meet the $50.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2010, 03:05   #39
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Sounds a bit like a $50/day operation to me... 5x50=$250/dayx40=$10,000....... he just charged a tad more...... then stretched the time to meet the $50.
Oh you sceptic

The fundamental difference is that...............he got caught I am sure he will learn for next time. Clause 8 of his (self) insurance policy - no Survivors / Witnesses ..........also works well for anti-litigation protection .

So perhaps Guest Crew should think twice before complaining about stubbing a toe onboard the s/v Wayluya ..........especially as she is named after someone who thought it quite reasonable to invoke clause 8 (sub section C - not taking the p#ss) over a manufacturers warranty issue on a DVD/Karaoke machine "Wayluya!, Wayluya! - wotch ya gonna do when she comes for you?"
Old 31-05-2010, 03:21   #40
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Oh you sceptic

The fundamental difference is that...............he got caught I am sure he will learn for next time. Clause 8 of his (self) insurance policy - no Survivors / Witnesses ..........also works well for anti-litigation protection .

So perhaps Guest Crew should think twice before complaining about stubbing a toe onboard the s/v Wayluya ..........especially as she is named after someone who thought it quite reasonable to invoke clause 8 (sub section C - not taking the p#ss) over a manufacturers warranty issue on a DVD/Karaoke machine "Wayluya!, Wayluya! - wotch ya gonna do when she comes for you?"
David... never been skeptical about the theory mate... tried it myself many a time.. including here in Portugal when I still had the Oceanis331... the hard bit is finding the folks to take up the offer...
I was throwing in a beach barbie and bubbly(friend has a vineyard)for 40euro's/day but still no takers... dunno why but if its not something you've got to take a mortgage on its not good value to most folks... think all these mobile phones are irradiating the good sense outa peoples brains....

My Bubbly supplier on a day out...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2010, 04:00   #41
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
the hard bit is finding the folks to take up the offer...................I was throwing in a beach barbie and bubbly(friend has a vineyard)for 40euro's/day but still no takers... dunno why but if its not something you've got to take a mortgage on its not good value to most folks... think all these mobile phones are irradiating the good sense outa peoples brains....
Yeah, different line of work - but a lot of truth in that. Folks can easily perceive higher cost meaning an item is worth more and it therefore becomes more desirable.............for me that translates as having less success giving ideas away than charging for them. Still puzzles me , but business model flexible enough to cope

Punters are strange people

Mobile phones? At the risk of thread drift I think you may be onto something. or it's something the Govt puts in the water