Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2016, 07:43   #16

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Monohull in ARC sinks, everyone safe!

I posted about it when it happened on the ARC thread with photos. That seems a bit silly to me because they have been experiencing problems with a considerable amount of water on the bilges before arriving to Las Palmas and it is dificult to understand why they had left without the problem sorted out.

First it was sea water, then they said it was fresh water and finally it seems it was sea water again....or maybe not because the boat was supposed to have sunk more than 24 hours ago with that rate of influx of water and it is still there, the satellite locator still working (Noah).

Maybe after all it was sweat water and the boat as the bilges now full of it. Maybe mixed with some salt water since they said the water entered by the deck junction!!!! when they were cleaning the boat. An excellent catch for the ones that go there with a powerful gasoline water pump. The boat is new, an one off, a Berckemeyer design. I wonder who have built that boat?
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 07:48   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
I posted about it when it happened on the ARC thread with photos. That seems a bit silly to me because they have been experiencing problems with a considerable amount of water on the bilges before arriving to Las Palmas and it is dificult to understand why they had left without the problem sorted out.

First it was sea water, then they said it was fresh water and finally it seems it was sea water again....or maybe not because the boat was supposed to have sunk more than 24 hours ago with that rate of influx of water and it is still there, the satellite locator still working (Noah).

Maybe after all it was sweat water and the boat as the bilges now full of it. Maybe mixed with some salt water since they said the water entered by the deck junction!!!! when they were cleaning the boat. An excellent catch for the ones that go there with a powerful gasoline water pump. The boat is new, an one off, a Berckemeyer design. I wonder who have built that boat?
Is there an account somewhere? I didn't see any mention on their blog or maybe it was deleted.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 07:50   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

I agree completely, Sandero. Engineering to save money and maximize internal space (think liners) compromises safety. It also makes maintenance a nightmare, a common issue on this forum. And then, maintenance issues lead to safety issues. Every boat is a compromise, but if you are a manufacturer, cost to build and features that sell have priority over reducing the distant rare possibility of a boat sinking. After all, most boats don't sink.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 07:53   #19

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

I can sympathize, my boat came with 21 ( mostly unused) thruhulls in various conditions. When I'm done there will only be 6 below the waterline (1 engine intake, 3 sink drains, 2 cockpit scuppers) All are easy to get to!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 08:09   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
I can sympathize, my boat came with 21 ( mostly unused) thruhulls in various conditions. When I'm done there will only be 6 below the waterline (1 engine intake, 3 sink drains, 2 cockpit scuppers) All are easy to get to!
Why do the sink and cockpit drains need to be below sea level? ours is just above the waterline at rest so can't leak when level and unattended. How does the loo flush?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 08:27   #21

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
That was a stupid and uncalled for remark... you are now a persona non grata... well done!
Youre absolutely right. I should have exceised more self-control. My apologies.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 08:28   #22

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
Is there an account somewhere? I didn't see any mention on their blog or maybe it was deleted.
Yes, I read it on their blog.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 08:44   #23

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

OK maybe a dumb question but... If your taking on water, and you can't find the source from inside, wouldn't the next step be look from the outside? Water temp could be an issue, but I would think the prospect of losing the boat would motivate you into all but truly arctic water.

I suppose sea state could make it impossible, not sure what they were dealing with.
wyb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 08:48   #24

Going over the side in open ocean like the Atlantic in anything but becalmed waters is like suicide for most mere mortals.

Also I don't see how a visual inspection from the outside would be more helpful if they don't have the capacity to find it inside. If you can't access it you can't plug it.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 09:12   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Once the water gets to a certain depth in the boat it is very difficult to find the leak. The water sloshing around masks the water flow into the boat. On boats with no real bilge sumps the water sloshes up the sides of the boat and will quickly take out all electronics and electrical systems. Not a good situation to be in.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 09:20   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Just wondering if they were picked up by another rally entrant as had happened in other ARCs or commercial shipping or government entity?

Also did someone mention boat was floating and transmitting for along time after rescue?
Old 25-11-2016, 09:25   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Other rally boats stood by, but the 4 persons onboard were picked up by the RSS James Cook.
RRS James Cook - Ships | National Oceanography Centre | from coast to deep ocean
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 09:28   #28

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Yet another sinking of an inherently unsafe monohull.

....sorry, just couldn't resist.

Did some miss B's apparent tongue in cheek remark that was meant as humor? I didn't read this an attack on monohulls. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 25-11-2016, 14:33   #29

Boat: Dickerson ketch, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
You would think that with a metal boat all the through hull intakes and outlets could be accomplished with metal pipe welded and run to a location well above the waterline where no seacock would be necessary. This is what I have done with the single hull penetration on my Gemini, of course its glass but same principle with the hose connection at bridgedeck level. On a glass boat it is even easier than on a metal boat as the pipe is formed to follow the hull and heavily glassed to the hull all the way becoming part of it and has the added benefit of being light weight with no corrosion and being dirt cheap. I would do the same on any boat I own.
Glad that the crew are all ok, adults and children equally.

Steve.
Steve,

How would you drain the galley sink thru a long pipe run to above the waterline? I've considered seachests for intake and output, but your suggestion sounds different from that.

Thanks,
Jack
The Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 14:45   #30

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Did some miss B's apparent tongue in cheek remark that was meant as humor? I didn't read this an attack on monohulls. Good luck and safe sailing.
Yes, it was meant as humor...thus the multiple smiley faces, but I probably should have refrained none the less.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, hull, monohull