Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2007, 17:11   #31

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Forget the advice he was getting from the coasties. Even though he was tired, he was the skipper. It was his choice and IMO a bad one.

The boat wasn't sinking he had plenty of provisions and with plenty of time on his hands there is lot's he could have done first.

Even if he was told there was a storm coming, he should have known about the weather from his own independent sources.

I also agree that he should have had better knowledge of his boat and systems.

Expensive lesson.
You are right on all counts, of course. I wasn't there so I can't say what I would have done, in his shoes, with his limited experience, with any amount of certainty.

It's easy to stand aside and say, "Well I would have done this or that" as most of us certainly would. However, Walter has limited mechanical ability and the USCG was telling him, "You're gonna die out here, if you don't go with the Divinity. This is your last chance of survival".

Now these guys are supposed to be professionals and Walter is not. In the end, he took the advise of the "Professionals". Was he wrong????? In my book he was but I wasn't there. Was the CG wrong to give him that advise?.....same answer.

I only put this story out here for others to learn from. The fact is, the USCG or any other CG will tell you whatever they have to to conduct a rescue. I just don't think that is right. I have seen this time and time again to many yachts in many different countries.

Please LEARN THE LESSON.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 17:23   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanani View Post
Am I missing something here???? What the hell are you talking about?
No, your not missing a thing. cruisingcat seems to be the type of fellow who won't discuss any idea that conflicts with his.

Didn't you know he is building a cat that won't sink, flip, burn, break, or ever get dirty. In fact it is faster then a Gunboat 66, sexier then anything afloat, and his girl gives the best xxxx south of the equator. He's the man!

Or maybe he's just a dumb*** or a troll.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 17:39   #33

Take a good long look in a mirror.

You don't see me in the monohull forum every day, saying "that's unseaworthy, this will sink, I wouldn't take my mother-in-law out in that."

You have admitted more than once you do it just to aggravate people. And yet here you are, name calling, swearing, and apparently getting all worked up yourself. How about a reasonable discussion? Beyond your capabilities? Who's the troll?
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 17:46   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Take a good long look in a mirror.
Good to see your still contributing to the thread! Your comments are thoughtful and obviously supported by your real life experiences. We're all enjoying your witty contributions.

Since I will respect Gords request. Your the man cruisngcat!
Old 04-12-2007, 17:48   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Forget the advice he was getting from the coasties. Even though he was tired, he was the skipper. It was his choice and IMO a bad one.

The boat wasn't sinking he had plenty of provisions and with plenty of time on his hands there is lot's he could have done first.

Even if he was told there was a storm coming, he should have known about the weather from his own independent sources.

I also agree that he should have had better knowledge of his boat and systems.

Expensive lesson.
But if the Coastguard tell you there is a storm coming, and that your chances of rescue may not be good in the future, why would you expect them to be lying?

In hindsight he should have stayed on the boat, but everything is easy in hindsight.
Old 04-12-2007, 17:48   #36

Quote:

You have admitted more than once you do it just to aggravate people.
Please post where?
Old 04-12-2007, 17:48   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanani View Post

It's easy to stand aside and say, "Well I would have done this or that" as most of us certainly would. However, Walter has limited mechanical ability and the USCG was telling him, "You're gonna die out here, if you don't go with the Divinity. This is your last chance of survival".

<snip>

I only put this story out here for others to learn from. The fact is, the USCG or any other CG will tell you whatever they have to to conduct a rescue. I just don't think that is right. I have seen this time and time again to many yachts in many different countries.

Please LEARN THE LESSON.
It is hard to discuss these things without sounding critical and I am not trying to be. It is very sad for him and for his boat that this happened.

However, I wonder if we are also not being to hard on the coast guard. I mean they "were" there and they aren't really in the business of making people lose their boat.

In talking to him they may have assessed that he was in over his head and "potentially" could be a rescue for them if the weather went down, yada, yada.

I'm trying to think what it is they coast guard should have done.

1 - Offer to fix his boat? - They aren't AAA
2 - Offer to stand by for 3 days while he tries to sort things out?
3 - Offer to come back in 3, 12, 30, 60 days to see if he's making it?
4 - Just motor off and wait for any future distress call?

I am not trying to be facetius but it seems like we should not blame the safety net for our own shortcomings.

It's like the 911 call from the guy stalled on the railroad tracks, "Hey can you stop the train? I am stuck on the tracks" - "No we can't stop the train. Get out of your car - dumass"

We should have a good understanding of the coast guard, their limitations and their responsibilities.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 17:49   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
No, your not missing a thing. cruisingcat seems to be the type of fellow who won't discuss any idea that conflicts with his.

Didn't you know he is building a cat that won't sink, flip, burn, break, or ever get dirty. In fact it is faster then a Gunboat 66, sexier then anything afloat, and his girl gives the best xxxx south of the equator. He's the man!

Or maybe he's just a dumb*** or a troll.
IS this your idea of contributing to the thread? Good for you.
Old 04-12-2007, 17:51   #39

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Kanani...Is the vessel on the Big Island now?...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 18:04   #40

Quote:
IS this your idea of contributing to the thread? Good for you.
Unfortunately it does not contribute to the thread. My apology's to all but it certainly describes you to a T.
Old 04-12-2007, 18:58   #41

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
guys,
how about pm'ing each other and saving us all?
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 21:35   #42

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Kanani...Is the vessel on the Big Island now?...
No, he's in Honolulu at the Hawaii Yacht Club. He cleaned the boat up in Kona then tried to overhaul his Ford Lehman. It wasn't salvagable (at least on the Big Island). The pistons were galvanized into the cylinders after 6 months of being full of sea water.

Funny thing is, I tried to talk him into sailing the boat (engineless), to Honolulu and get it worked on there. He opted for buying a new engine and flying it into Kona. He installed the engine (a big feat for him) and it failed 3 miles out of Kona and he ended up sailing all the way with no power anyway. The poor guy just can't win for losin'.

He doesn't know how long they will let him stay at the yacht cluub. He's been moving around quite a bit and is running out of places.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 22:32   #43

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Thats too bad Kanani...I live on the big Island and if I had known I would have certainly extended any help I could. Although Hawaii could be the Pearl of the Pacific, local government makes it as difficult as they can on anyone working or staying on their boat. Most political leaders here come from a long line of asian decent where the belief is if you have a boat you are a second class citizen. They would rather have cruise ships come in with 2200 people on board drop a chunk of change in a few days and leave.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 23:05   #44

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
Can't we take the infantile behavior back to SA where it belongs.
This crap is worse than the political ranters

Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 00:31   #45
Rez

Giving the man a break

He's done a first rate job of bringing his boat back to life.
When he was drifing he was exhausted and perhaps not thinking as well as usual. 2nd, his engine was down and he is not an engine guy. 3rd, the mainsail halyard was up the mast. Apparently there was not a spare halyard up there for a bosuns chair or such. And it seems he could not physically climb the mast. (if the damned stowable mast steps didn't rattle we'd all have them).
So what was he supossed to do?
His boat is disabled and he is exhausted.
Perhaps ask for help with the halyard and for the CG to hang around 10 hours while he slept.

From what everyone has said, the CG did not have that sort of option in mind.

But since that exact sort of help was on the way from a friend, and the CG knew it, I think they done him wrong with what they did do.

And think of it, climbing a mast is not a big thing, why didn't they get his main halyard down? They probably could have careened him a bit and done it on their deck. The whole thing smacks of a lack of comitment about truly helping a seaman in need.

"Have a good time, do as little damage as you can." Harold Coby
Rez is offline   Reply With Quote