Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2020, 17:26   #136

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058
Re: New Anchor-out Law - Madeira Beach FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
Actually unfortunately not, the Submerged Lands Act gave ownership of submerged navigable lands within 3 miles of state boundaries to the states. As I might have mentioned already in this thread
You really should read the whole thread if for no other reason than to see the responses I got about the "tyranny" of balkanization, it included some not so polite references to my alleged ignorance of the 10th Amendment. As I said, it's an uphill battle against those folks here in the U.S.
True, but this “law” was enacted by a municipality which does not have any authority to do so. Much like states cannot trump federal law in most cases. .
GreenWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 17:29   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I'm not implying/opining - just offering some fact, which others might use, in part, to form opinions.
Good on you Gord placing the focus on facts.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 18:02   #138

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Unfortunately, this problem is likely to get worse. More development means more views to be protected, and more people to complain about trashed up trailer parks on the water. All the good, responsible, cruising boaters are going to pay the price - as much in pure hassle as it will be in fees. Some kind of standard mobility requirement, for anchoring in public water, would be the best solution, IMO. I'd actively support that, as opposed to the alternative.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 19:20   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
True, but this “law” was enacted by a municipality which does not have any authority to do so. Much like states cannot trump federal law in most cases. .
It may very well violate a FL state law, although many states do allow municipalities to pass such laws. My point was only to correct the persistent misperception that I've had to point out dozens of times in the last few years that there's no restriction to only federal oversight on navigable waters. The irony is that in many cases the same folks who insist that only the federal government can regulate navigable waters are often "states rights" types when it comes to life in general, and I find the absurdity in that humorous in an existentialist kind of way.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 19:52   #140

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Quote:
It may very well violate a FL state law, although many states do allow municipalities to pass such laws. My point was only to correct the persistent misperception that I've had to point out dozens of times in the last few years that there's no restriction to only federal oversight on navigable waters. The irony is that in many cases the same folks who insist that only the federal government can regulate navigable waters are often "states rights" types when it comes to life in general, and I find the absurdity in that humorous in an existentialist kind of way.

Kinda points to ideology being awfully convenient. True with a lot of things when you get right down to it.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 20:05   #141

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Yes my point was it conflicts with FL state law. I should have stopped there and not brought the federal piece in.
GreenWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 03:06   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
Yes my point was it conflicts with FL state law. I should have stopped there and not brought the federal piece in.
Again, municipalities have attorneys who have subject matter expertise and certifications in such laws. In this case, MBs attorney suggested tweaks to the ordinance to prevent conflict with applicable state and federal laws and statutes. Perhaps the ordinance will be challenged and the ordinance over turned. But right now, there is an informed and learned opinion by a legal expert with knowledge of the facts that the ordinance is enforceable and coexists with state and federal laws and regulations.

I was through this area two nights ago. Nothing has chanced. Either there have been no complaints since Jan 1 or there has been no enforcement.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:08   #143

This is interesting for same reason. This article about Tampa Fl. Just a few miles from Madeira beach.
https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/ne...n-city-streets.
The head lines talk about overnight parking of boats on city streets. The story is about trailers and non motorized vehicles being parked long term. As in weeks months and years. Does this sound familiar?
Sounds like a person living 75 miles away that parks his boat here to get early start in morning can get ticket. Yet resident that parks his boats here for months or years is just an inconvenience. They complain about one thing and try to regulate something different.
smbdyiam2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Madeira