Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2007, 18:30   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerman View Post
In general it seems that every hobby is turning into such a pain in the ass with taxes, paperwork, maintenance etc. that it's really not worth the trouble. Everything from fishing, boating, flying, shooting, horses etc. has turned into more work than fun. Alot of this stems from our overbearing good ol US who think we rule the world when in fact we are some of the least "free" people in the world. There's a big difference difference between freedom and perceived security.

? least free? compared to whom?

seer
Old 01-12-2007, 19:02   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeratlas View Post
? least free? compared to whom?

seer

Islanders of Kiribati, Chileans in patagonia, there are all kinds of people with more freedom....the more isolated.....the more free you are, we are a country enslaved to paperwork, order, efficiency, and consumerism.
And we want the whole world to be like US.......sad.
Old 01-12-2007, 19:22   #48

Don't know a lot about Kiribati, but I havn't heard of any illegals trying to sneak into Patagonia...<wink>

I guess if your definition of freedom is: *not being messed with*, well, there's a number of populations that might qualify- however, seems to me that *freedom* connotes the ability to make your own choices, but to do that, you have to have *choices* to make. The populations you mention and the other similar ones I can think of , don't seem to have many.

I see your point tho, one made well by Twain, in his comments about the useless luxuries we in the west are taught if not indoctrinated, to consider as necessaries, and in so doing dethroning God and setting up the shekel in his stead; something I'm reminded of every time a chain of commercials is momentarily interrupted for a few brief moments of programming

hmmm, think I'll get a boat and go cruising

seer
Old 02-12-2007, 09:04   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeratlas View Post
Don't know a lot about Kiribati, but I havn't heard of any illegals trying to sneak into Patagonia...<wink>

I guess if your definition of freedom is: *not being messed with*, well, there's a number of populations that might qualify- however, seems to me that *freedom* connotes the ability to make your own choices, but to do that, you have to have *choices* to make. The populations you mention and the other similar ones I can think of , don't seem to have many.

I see your point tho, one made well by Twain, in his comments about the useless luxuries we in the west are taught if not indoctrinated, to consider as necessaries, and in so doing dethroning God and setting up the shekel in his stead; something I'm reminded of every time a chain of commercials is momentarily interrupted for a few brief moments of programming

hmmm, think I'll get a boat and go cruising

seer
You interpreted my point correctly. I see my children enslaved by the "need" to have the biggest i-pod or the latest phone. Parental preaching meets deaf ears compared to the prowess of the corporate ad agencies. They are just getting set up for a life of credit card debt. Not much freedom there by golly.
Old 02-12-2007, 14:02   #50
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"They are just getting set up for a life of credit card debt. Not much freedom there by golly."
See, Badgerman, your folly here is the same folly that most of us have foolishly made. instead of railing against "those bastards" who suck the life out of everyone else with credit card debts, usury, slimeball cable TV and telephone charges and fees...
What you (we) should be teaching out children is by all means, consume away. And be aware that in this world there are only sheep and wolves. If you aren't going to learn how to set up your own credit card company, or predatory sub-prime mortgage company, or find another way to become a really successfully nasty unethical WOLF, then you are going to be the mutton on the dinner plate.

Sad that it has come down to that state of affairs. Sadder still that some of us are ethically and morally impaired, and unwilling to be predatory. But don't worry, I'm working on a 12-step program to cure those moral and ethical impairments, and if you send me $49.95 NOW in the next thirty minutes, I'll not only send you a deluxe box set of DVDs and your own personalized manual to help you get started, but I'll include THREE personal telephone counseling sessions, normally $29.95 each, so you'll be saving nearly $90 if you ACT NOW. Pay by money order or bank check or cash, instead of credit card, and I'll also waive the shipping and handling fee AND give another 10% discount to any of your children (must be age 18 or over please) who also sign up for the program.
But act now--this offer is limited to the first 500 callers!!

[sigh]
Old 02-12-2007, 14:10   #51

Boat: Endeavour E40
Didn't I see your commercial during the "Benny Hinn" show? hehehehehe
AUTHOR: My dear ole MOM
Old 02-12-2007, 17:16   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Cotton View Post
Didn't I see your commercial during the "Benny Hinn" show? hehehehehe
Yeah.....Benny had to trade in his new Gulfstream 200 for a new GIV .....the 200 was just "too small"
Old 03-12-2007, 15:27   #53

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Just say NO to Red Tape....

use good old black tape or silver Duct Tape!!!!!!!

or just stay out in your boat!!! gona give it a try in 9 YESSS!! 9 days!!! WaHOOOOoooo
Old 03-12-2007, 22:11   #54

Boat: C&C, Crusader 40 Yellow Bird
MaArk Twain (in essence recommended) 1 more law should be passed, making it illegal to pass additional laws, without first repealing two existing laws.
APIS should be first in line for repeal.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:17   #55

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
The first part of HelloSailor has the situation nailed down. All of this is nothing new - Writing was invented in the earliest civilization thousands of years ago because the rulers were ripping off the merchants with claims their taxes were not paid. So writing - those funny little triangular indentations - were invented to keep track of who paid what to whom.
- - But anyway in a Capitalistic culture the sellers are the wolves and the buyers are the sheep. If the sellers have a product the buyers don't want or need they will advertise the heck out of it and generate a market. Virtually all of our privacy and personal freedoms have been eroded away as the sellers track everything we do and buy in order to increase their sales and income. Everything from credit cards, banking, rfid chips in your purchased goods - and - now in your new drivers and identity cards enable the sellers to track you virtually 100% of your lifetime.
- - The small countries and island nations are way behind in this game because their economies are undeveloped and their government infrastructure is not developed enough to know what their citizens are doing or even to know how many people are living on/in their country. So by default these places have "more freedom/liberty" compared to heavily developed first world countries.
- - Or to look at it another way the small undeveloped countries have remained static in terms of liberties while the capitalistic countries have raced ahead into total control and tracking of their citizens for capitalistic purposes.
- - The government rides along and cherry picks the information and tracking systems to ensure it can remain in power - and - in the business of collecting revenue to continue existing.
- - Again, nothing new - history is full of this theme repeating itself time and again. As a wolf or smart "quasi" wolf you can join the "have's" and avoid being one of the "have-nots".
- - I would suppose one of the most important liberties is the liberty to move geographically to more pleasant environments. Sailing/cruising I would suggest is the best way to exercise that liberty and anything like APIS is a direct threat to that liberty.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:22   #56
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
It was indeed the USA who invented this system of advance notification. I think the US sailors complaining in this thread should become really quiet when they realize that their own country is leading all the others when it comes to "ridiculous regulations" and is in fact teaching them how to do it.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:35   #57
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
This is an old thread on a subject that no longer has any "legs", so to speak, since the initiatives to extend APIS to small private and charter yachts were abandoned.

No need to revive it and turn it into a political soapbox.
Old 09-02-2010, 19:32   #58
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Hmm Hud you're right... 2007 last msgs. What got into you Osiris, suddenly posting here?! ;-))

Let the thread rest again

cheers,
Nick.
Old 10-02-2010, 19:08   #59

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Easy - a link was published by another leading to this thread which was obviously 3 years old but dirty glasses enabled me to put my reply in this thread rather than the other one - it is the old "look before you leap/click"" problem. Sorry!
Old 11-02-2010, 12:35   #60
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
The UK is bringing in APIS for yachts next year, despite objections from the boating community. The EU was forced by the US to provide APIS information, wonder how long before APIS is brought into the effect here.

The US has a lot to answer for in regards this nonsense. most APIS schemes are a direct result of US enforcement
Closed Thread

Tags
Caribbean, red tape