Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 09:57   #1

Boat: Irwin 40
One More Rescue off the Carolinas

Story here I think they do not have all the facts right as i do not think there was snow it was in the upper 60s onshore

Coast Guard called to rescue two from sailboat off N.C. | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Wayne Canning, AMS
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:37   #2
Eternal Member

Wayne,

I wouldn't completely rule out some sort of wild climatic event (hail? snow?).

An hour before the time of rescue of the second guy, it was blowing bloody stink 100nm off of Cape Lookout.....45-knot plus southerlies.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:08   #3

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
My father was a quartermaster on the Furness Withy steamers that ran here to Bermuda from NY in the late 20's. He was also a photographer. I have his photos, one of which he told me was taken from the bridge just before picking up the pilot off St.Georges, in Dec 1929. The entire fo'cstle, foredeck, sampson posts and derricks are still covered in ice. He said they had to break out the steam hoses and melt the ice off the winches, before they got to Hamilton.
Old 03-12-2009, 18:41   #4
elf

Boat: Catalina 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailvayu View Post
Story here I think they do not have all the facts right as i do not think there was snow it was in the upper 60s onshore

Coast Guard called to rescue two from sailboat off N.C. | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Wayne Canning, AMS
Agreed completely.
elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 20:24   #5

It might have been some sort of frozen precip. There were severe thunderstorms near Wilmington NC last night with tops up to 50,000 feet. There was a lot of really severe weather in VA/NC including a tornado watch. I don't know if it had been forecast to be as bad as it was....
Silverbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:53   #6

Boat: Irwin 40
Yes we did have severe weather that night, my boat was heeling over in the slip. I would not rule out snow as we all know how weird these storms can get but a few things to consider. The winds were out of the south bringing warm air up. The boat was in the warming waters of the Gulf Stream. I also wonder about the boats weather knowledge in this. This was a fast moving system i would have thought they could have ridden it out. But then again they say they were taking on water. Could be the weather just made things worse.

I always wonder about these things and it is impossible to sit here safe in harbor and know what they were going thru.

Fair Wind

Wayne Canning, AMS
projectboatzen.com
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:11   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailvayu View Post
Yes we did have severe weather that night, my boat was heeling over in the slip. I would not rule out snow as we all know how weird these storms can get but a few things to consider. The winds were out of the south bringing warm air up. The boat was in the warming waters of the Gulf Stream. I also wonder about the boats weather knowledge in this. This was a fast moving system i would have thought they could have ridden it out. But then again they say they were taking on water. Could be the weather just made things worse.

I always wonder about these things and it is impossible to sit here safe in harbor and know what they were going thru.

Fair Wind

Wayne Canning, AMS
projectboatzen.com
I was about 100 E of Cape Hatteras and got hit by a 56kt gust of wind which was quite exciting especially as I was trying to get away from a freighter who had obviously not seen me and was trying to run up my stern. Made for a busy half hour or so until I could eventually heave to and get my sh*t together. Bloody cold and raining. Gale force for about 8 hours and the seas didnt build up much more than 8 or 9 feet as I recall.
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rescue