Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2012, 08:27   #151

Boat: Beneteau 41S5
Re: Does everyone here feel this way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Only from your perspective. People are people, now matter where you go. We do joke around a lot on here and some are just tooo serious to deal with it.
And I do appreciate your perspective. On the other hand, if you go back and read many, many of the replies to people asking questions, which to them anyway, aren't stupid, they get flamed. You hear people spout that old adage about, "No such thing as a stupid question", but of course that doesn't hold true with a bunch of sailors. Half will say, "Hell, we've all made that mistake more than once." Nice to hear.

But the other half, or more, on this site will say things like, "Go back to sailing a dinghy to figure it out." "You've got no business on that big of a boat, take a lesson." Well that wasn't what was being asked, was it? In the short time I've been paying attention to this site, the replies have gotten more insulting, more.... "Let's pick on the idiot." I'll still be here trying to pick a few bits of knowledge out of the chaff but if you think this is a friendly site, you're very wrong.

I also hang around a Harley site and you'd think a bunch of bikers would be less accomodating to newbies, you'd be incorrect.

JMHO
97fxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 10:37   #152

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Re: Packing for 4 Month Cruise

I apologize if anything I posted sounded critical or disdanful, I honestly took a few seconds to figure out that the OP was in fact going on one of those huge ships I see out there.

After a few gear changes, I did take a cruise ship once myself, if you don't have the experience or life situation to buy your own, renting a spot on a big boat may be the only way to get there.

Unfortunately except for the usual don't forget the swimsuit, sandals, and sunscreen, I don't have a lot of advice for someone in that situation. Other than take lot's of pictures, (don't forget camera either), and have fun. It will be memories that you will cherish the rest of your life, no matter how you got there.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 16:04   #153

Boat: Vagabond 42

Quote:
Only from your perspective. People are people, now matter where you go. We do joke around a lot on here and some are just tooo serious to deal with it.
When all the receiver experiences of a conversation, there is a lot of room for misinterpretaion - an LOL or goes a long way to clarify.

But, personally, I don't believe it is joking for the most part. I believe this forum is aquiring too many mean spirited members. I rarely post any more because of them.
Old 17-01-2012, 16:11   #154

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarian View Post
I believe this forum is aquiring too many mean spirited members. I rarely post any more because of them.
What percentage out of 86,850 members would you say?
Old 17-01-2012, 16:13   #155

Boat: Vagabond 42

Quote:

And, here we go again. I shouldn't have bothered.
Old 17-01-2012, 16:25   #156

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarian
I believe this forum is aquiring too many mean spirited members. I rarely post any more because of them.

DOJ is the meanest person on this forum,,,, he should be banned. Hope the mouse ate all your peanut-butter
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 16:45   #157

Boat: Haida 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
Well, if you are looking for info on sailing then you CAN find a lot of incredibly experienced people who are happy to help.

If you are expecting big fans of the Cruise Ship Mode of Travel... well... frankly not so much. Not really our cuppa tea.

I think that what DeckOfficer was observing was that Sally came here, pretty confused and got polite responses and clarification to let her know she had landed in a forum that was not going to have much of use to her packing plan.

On the other hand, I went to Cruise Critic, appropriately, for information about what my experience might be like on an Alaskan cruise and was pretty much lambasted for presenting honestly my concerns about cruising and how that was going to work for me. And rather than satire and silliness, which is mostly what this thread has become as my friends have offered advice, both humorous and pertinant, I was greeted with very personal attacks.

And your comment about how ungrateful it is to not be over the moon with the opportunity to take a cruise ship (insert itinerary here) is typical. Just because you think cruising, in a huge combo malllasvegasresortfoodcourt, is a treat doesn't mean everyone will.

I have a great deal of experience with online communities and forums and I have to say that while I have met folks on Cruise Critic who have been helpful and pleasant, and I have gathered a great deal of information that has been valuable in planning for our Alaska trip, over all I find it to be one of the worst moderated and virulent communities I have ever spent time on. You yourself may be the nicest guy in the world, I have no reason to think you are anything else, but the nastiness in the threads involving formal wear, this line or that line, enforcing alcohol policies, and children on cruise ships astounds me. It's not just newbies who get attacked. People attack each other like rabid piranhas!

I may or may not come back from my Alaska cruise as a fan of cruise ships, but I feel pretty certain that I will NOT be posting a review of my experience. It's been made pretty clear over there that my viewpoint is not appreciated or wanted.

Slavishly adores huge cruises no matter how well or badly they are staffed/priced/organized/provisioned seems to be pretty much the big picture over there. But I don't feel that just *being on a cruise ship* is a sufficiently wonderful enough thing to negate any expectations about the actual experience. And that was pretty much the most common message I got. As you yourself expressed, how dare I not be delighted?

Well, I dare ; -)
I have over 50,000 sea miles in my lifetime, all on less than 30' and have never been able to afford a liferaft... Thinking about a carnaval cruise............Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..I can't afford a personal liferaft.....Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 17:22   #158

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyjean View Post
I have over 50,000 sea miles in my lifetime, all on less than 30' and have never been able to afford a liferaft... Thinking about a carnaval cruise............Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..I can't afford a personal liferaft.....Michael..
Michael,

Considering your < 30' boats have much more positive stability than ANY cruise ship, I'd go with the same bet you have wagered.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 04:46   #159

Boat: Morgan Classic 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
DOJ is the meanest person on this forum,,,, he should be banned. Hope the mouse ate all your peanut-butter
Really? I only see a clueless clown.

Name:   avatar3589_18.gif.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  9.5 KB

See? Looks harmless enough...
mjwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 04:52   #160

Boat: Able 50

You guys are altogether too cruel.

Imagine waking up every morning knowing that the best you could ever hope for was a bad hair day.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 04:54   #161

DOJ was outsmarted by a mouse. Must have been having a bad hair week.
Old 18-01-2012, 04:56   #162

I've heard that mice have that problem now and then.
Old 18-01-2012, 04:58   #163

If you take a look at the IQ level of a mouse what does that say about DOJ??????
Old 18-01-2012, 05:04   #164
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kalik 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarian;863303I
believe this forum is aquiring too many mean spirited members. I rarely post any more because of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
[U][I][B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwarner View Post
Really? I only see a clueless clown.

Attachment 36167

See? Looks harmless enough...
I gotta say, I am not enjoying this forum as much as I used to when I joined and members were kind, supportive and funny. Not so much any more. It seems this place now often turns into a Battle of the Bitches.

Being a Brit, I consider myself a Master of Sarcasm, in a Blackadder sort of way. Well, I largely avoid using it now, cos when a notable number of members who DON'T know how to use sarcasm effectively try responding with it, it just comes across as mean-spirited.

Please, guys... Can't you just start being nice?
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 05:27   #165

Are those fishnets there Saucy ? Phwoarrr ! !

Tags
cruise