Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 23:56   #16

Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
I love the Panama Canal Yacht Club......well I did...

I was sad to hear that the Panama Canal Yacht Club was no longer.

We really enjoyed spending time there while waiting for 2 weeks to go through the canal in June last year.

It wasn't that pretty a place, but it was wonderful! The bar was fabulous.....I just loved the 60cent (US) cokes and Mark loved the $1 beers.

I also can say (after trying many hamburgers around the world so far) that they had the BEST cheeseburgers for only $2.50 (with chips and salad) EVER! They were soooooo delicious!

The man at the bar and the ladies at the cafe' were so sweet and so cute....I tried to speak as much Spanish as I could to them. Also the security guard was really nice, we made friends with everybody, the guys in the office. It was just wonderful!

It was also had everything we needed, lovely free anchorage, internet, showers, laundry, and a dinghy dock to load our provisions up, fuel dock & water.....etc.....etc.

We venture into the town area of Colon often, it wasn't as bad as people were saying.......some people we met never ventured outside the yacht club security area........they missed out on so much!

We can't live our life in feel and never go out and explore.......of course we were careful. We took a taxi into town and back to the yacht club. But it was amazing to see the town, yes it wasn't the prettiest or safest town....but we stuck to the main streets and only in daylight.....we had a wonderful time and found some great bargin shops and great places to eat! Everything ws so affordable, it was lots of fun!

It was so wonderful to be anchored in the flats near all of the huge container ships, and see the tugs help dock the large ships. It was like a super highway of constant ship activities. And at night the lights looked so amazing from all the ships.

There was also a wonderful cruising community of international cruisiers who would spend time around the bar, cafe' and yacht club. We made so many wonderful friends from al around the world and had lots of great meals at the cafe'. They also did great steaks and rice dishes.

I have met people since that have said they went to Colon and didn't even go to the yacht club....or if they did they never used the bar or cafe'.......you can't judge a book by its cover, because even if it didn't look perfect......there was so much beauty, friendship, wonderful times, memories and wonderful atmosphere to be lived and experienced at a very special place like the Panama Canal Yacht Club.

I will be sad not to be able to enjoy it again when we next go through Panama.......I will miss all the little cats and kittens too that lived there....we fed them because they looked a little hungry. But I know there will be another amazing place that the cruisiers who visit there often will help create.

It won't take long until a similar place is created and able to be enjoyed by cruisiers from all over the world.

I can't wait to visit the new "Panama Canal Yacht Club".

Hope you all have a wonderful day!

I am off to the the washing as it is a hot beautiful day after the cyclone!

Smiles & hugs,

Nic
From Sea Life xoxoxo
www.ourlifeatsea.com

Tags
Panama Canal, Panama