Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2014, 15:56   #61

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Panama for Cruisers ?

Soooooo.....what happened to the marina?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 17:53   #62

Boat: S-2 9.2cc

Yea,my thoughts too. Really looking for a place to head next year,if our place sells that is. Would like to have a place all ready to go to.
BobnCamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 19:55   #63

Boat: Pearson 365 and Jeanneau 371

FWIW- I sailed through the canal right after US invaded Pana and into San Blas islands. They were beautiful. Worked in Bocas for Smithsonian at Tropical Research Institute 10 years later. Talked with fellow that wanted to start marina and sell lots. Seemed promising enough. Mosquitos were vicious and numerous. They loved my warm blooded heat seaming missile attracting body. Don't know how long I would survive there without strong breeze (which there didn't seem to be even a light one) and financial incentive.
piloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 20:24   #64

Bocas is fantastic, if a bit wet. Yes the shelter Bay Yacht marina is expensive almost as much per week as to transit. Panama is a fantastic destination, especially the pacific side. And no it is not a dump and Panama City is world class

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
svzafarse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 21:32   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

For the latest maybe you can hit up long term member "colemj" aka - Mark on Reach.

Just arrived in Bocas - Looks like there is a pretty nice but expensive looking marina there. Reach is on the hook though.

Bocas del Toro | East of the Equator | M&M

I've become a recent closet lurking fan of their blog - Real low on the "look at me" factor and big on the "interesting & practical tell me stuff I don't know" factor. Their photography is excellent and their observations of local culture almost make me feel like I am there with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Soooooo.....what happened to the marina?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnCamie View Post
Yea,my thoughts too. Really looking for a place to head next year,if our place sells that is. Would like to have a place all ready to go to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svzafarse View Post
Bocas is fantastic, if a bit wet. Yes the shelter Bay Yacht marina is expensive almost as much per week as to transit. Panama is a fantastic destination, especially the pacific side. And no it is not a dump and Panama City is world class

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 11:01   #66

I really liked Bocas del Toro and looked longingly at the boats anchored off Bastimentos while I was swinging in my dockside hammock. I'd stop there if we ever get our boat over to the Caribbean side. Got stuck in Chiapas for hurricane season this year due to mechanical problems.
Old 07-12-2014, 14:42   #67

Boat: Islander Freport 41

I have been living aboard in Bocas Del Toro, Panama going on nine years so I guess I like it. I spent the first couple of years between two of the three marinas, Bocas Marina and then Red frog Marina. I have not had my boat in Carinaro marina but friends that use it like it fine. Both Bocas and Carinaro are a short dinghy ride to town, Red Frog is on Bastimentos island about 5 miles from Bocas. The archipelago here has an uncounted number of wonderful anchoring spots to explore, the marinas are helpful and well protected. Myself I only use a marina when I need mechanical or medical help, I have been on the hook for about 6 years. A Panama cruising permit runs $195 a YEAR. I am currently anchored off Red Frog Marina where for $20 a week you can get WIFI, use the showers and Laundromat, and use of the free shuttle to Bocas town 4 days a week. It is about a 1/2 mile walk across the island to the wonderful Red Frog Beach, surfing, swimming and hiking. Bocas Marina more accessible to town, also has great support personal. This anchorage off Red frog is about 1/2 mile across in all directions, currently has 6 other boats. If some fool anchors within 100 feet or so of me I just move off a ways. The 2 anchorages near Bocas are a bit more congested. Have no idea about the proposed marina that started this thread??
garyosborne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Panama Canal, Panama