Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 04:58   #16

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: Pirates in Bahamas??

Skipmac's advice about dried, canned, whole grains, plus sprouts is spot-on. Sprouts in particular are heaven.

I would just add that we bought a pressure canner before we departed and cooked up a bunch of meals (soups, stews, etc.) in 1-qt jars. You can preserve a lot of vegetable goodness that way, and have easy dinners at hand all the time.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:27   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Is the Government Produce Exchange still operating on Potter's Cay dock?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:51   #18

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

YES! There are indeed pirates in the Bahamas! Terrible, greedy and relenting. They don't give up easily, and they will come right up to your boat to get their booty! Last year, I was lucky to get a few pictures of them off of Big Major in the Exumas:

These rascals don't negotiate and they don't speak english. Your women will be charmed by their guile and will not be able to resist them. By all means, avoid the Exumas!
Old 04-03-2011, 05:59   #19

Boat: Pearson 365 - 36' - FREE REIN

Doug....that is TOO funny!! Hope I get to see these guys!!!!
DebSV FREE REIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:11   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Is the Government Produce Exchange still operating on Potter's Cay dock?
It was there the last time I was in Nassau but that was something like twenty years ago. Maybe someone has information a bit more current?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 19:49   #21

Boat: Nicholson 31 - freelance

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebSV FREE REIN View Post
Hi...I am new to this forum. We are planning a 9 week cruise from Southern FL to the Bahamas this spring. We are hoping to make it down to the Exumas. With all of the news of pirates world wide right now...I'm just wondering if any of you have heard about any incidents in the Bahamas. We do not carry fire arms, so would like any info or tips you could offer. Thanks! Deb on FREE REIN
If you are at anchor , raise your dingy and chain the outboard to the dingy at night.
sparkplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 20:16   #22

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
Another risk at Black Point to be VERY careful of! While you are getting FREE fresh water at the town tap, the chief of police may very well come up to you with a BIG smile, and ask how you are enjoying your stay!

For us... this was right after my wife ran the laundromat for several hours, because the proprietor needed to run errands. She left my wife (whom she'd never met), in charge of the store, cash register, etc. "Trusting soul".

She MUST'VE been up to no good!

M.
I just have to say it is nice to hear something positive for a change. Anybody else have good things to say about some of your experiences?
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 20:19   #23

Boat: grampian 26

[QUOTE=doug86;634214]YES! There are indeed pirates in the Bahamas! Terrible, greedy and relenting. They don't give up easily, and they will come right up to your boat to get their booty! Last year, I was lucky to get a few pictures of them off of Big Major in the Exumas:

These rascals don't negotiate and they don't speak english. Your women will be charmed by their guile and will not be able to resist them. By all means, avoid the Exumas![/QUOT

Salted pork?
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 20:20   #24

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
I just have to say it is nice to hear something positive for a change. Anybody else have good things to say about some of your experiences?

From a new guy, that's a good question.
Kenny
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 20:35   #25

Boat: Jeanneau 39i Performance

We sailed down from Toronto in 2008/2009 for a few months over the winter season. I felt very safe at all times, and really nothing to worry about.

As was mentioned already, if you can't raise the dinghy, chain it and the boat motor. Do the same if you go to a dinghy dock especially in Nassau.

I heard that Haitians manage to get to the Bahamas on some sort of rafts, usually by the out islands, and then try to take a larger boat to try and get to the United States. I heard on the VHF reports of such happenings, as many as 50 Haitians on a sail boat. This is pretty rare, and nothing to lose sleep over. just keep your eyes open.

Otherwise enjoy, we have a lot of neat stories and pics on our blog, if you want to get excited about your trip.

Blogging aboard Black Diamond!
Radonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 22:31   #26

Boat: csy 37

there is a produce market on potter cay dock, and, when a fishing boat is in, you can also get fresh sea food. but just a half mile east of the dock along bay street is the east bay shopping center where there is a large modern supermarket which has a good selection of fresh fruits and veggies at the usual higher bahamian prices.

while you're at potter cay dock be sure to stop at one of the kiosks and have a real bahamian lunch at reasonable prices...
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 07:35   #27

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

I was there last year, no problems. I found a farmers market next to the docks with plenty of produce. Maybe depends on what time of year?? The people went out of their way to be helpful and friendly. Even more than when I went a few decades ago. I wandered the streets at night in Nasua, and no one bothered me other than a friendly smile and wave. There may be some places to avoid, but if you ask around someone will tell you. I chartered a boat to the exumas. I saw several boats at anchor, unattended while the owners were out snorkeling, no one bothered them. The drug runners usually don't want to attract attention that a spate of highjackings would cause. unless you get in their way.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 09:25   #28

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Our dinghy was actually boarded by one of those dread piggy pirates. We were insufficiently armed with foodstuffs, and could only watch helplessly as he took control of the boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Piggy_Pirate.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	25056  
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 17:14   #29

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
Re: Pirates in Bahamas ?

From our experiences there for several months last year, in Bimini you can ask for anything at Robert's and they will have it brought from Miami the following Thursday (supply boat day). Also, you can anchor at Cat Cay and they have an excellent market right by the marina, you can dinghy over easily from the achorage at Kitten Cove. There is also a great grocery at Highborn Cay in the Exumas. There are two markets at Black Point, but marginal for fresh produce. Hope this helps. Bring rice and grains and oils with you. Good olive oil is impossible to find. Onions, cabbage, romaine, sweet potatos, white potatos, tomatos and melons are usually available even at the most marginal stores. These islands are truely a cruising paradise, and I too would consider them one of the safest places to cruise. I would lock up the dinghy in Freeport or Nassau, and keep the boat locked when you go out.
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 06:23   #30

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC
Re: Pirates in Bahamas ?

We were there the past winter. Never worried about safety anywhere we went (Abacos, Exumas, Eleuthera, Long Island - we did avoid Nassau). Never locked the dink at night and didn't notice many who did. We spent some time in Marsh Harbor and I would be careful if staying on the town side of the harbor. We stayed at Marsh Harbor Marina on the north side - I think it's safer there and a great family run place. I heard on the way back north on the ICW that a few center console boats were stolen in MH and later sunk after the motors were removed. It's hearsay but I believe the guy was being sincere.

Re: Haitians.. while we were at Warderick Wells, a Haitian boat with 97 people aboard was discovered taking on water right near the park. The people were rescued and taken to Nassau by the BDF to be processed and deported. Apparently they were trying to get to Nassau where they can disappear into the community. Also there is a significant Haitian population near MH, enough that there was a sign at the grocery store in Creole. Maybe correlation to the crime there?

Re: fresh veggies. They are available but not as much as you are accustomed to in the states or Canada. We found good, well stocked markets in Marsh Harbor, Spanish Wells, Emerald Bay and Georgetown. Everywhere else it's hit or miss. You can find veggies but maybe not exactly what you are looking for. Definitely better odds if you get there soon after the mailboat arrives.

BTW, we also loved Black Point! Very friendly and helpful folks, especially Lorraine.

Scott
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, bahamas