Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2009, 03:21   #46

Boat: Carver Santego 44'
PHP Code:
As it is becoming apparentthere is no easy way to avoid these criminals anymore for cruisers that want to circumnavigateThe only option is to sail those long legs in bad weatherIt is beyond my comprehension why the worlds governments allow this to happenThese pirate groups should be dealt withdeadly and swiftly and decisiveIt could be done in a weekHistory has proven that to be the only effective measure against pirates.

Now we have to hope and see if the ransom demands can be met... again.

ciao!
Nick.[/QUOTE

Here-here Nick. What further galls me is that any ransoms paid will not only further incentivise piracy which has already grown into a multi-million dollar business in this region but also fund equipment and arms to increase their capabilities and reach into the surrounding areas. Ironically any such ransom will probably come out of my tax dollars.

I for one am flabbergasted that this problem (piracy) has been allowed to flourish in a civilised world and find it difficult to believe that the combined efforts of the world’s navies are unable to eradicate this threat from the oceans. Or is it just that the namby-pamby approaches of governments do not give their respective navies the appropriate mandate to deal with this effectively.

May I urge all fellow members who care about this issue to write to your local elected political representatives to enquire what action is being taken and demand that this scourge is dealt with quickly and permanently.

Simon
Stirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2009, 04:49   #47

Boat: Irwin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

As it is becoming apparent, there is no easy way to avoid these criminals anymore for cruisers that want to circumnavigate. The only option is to sail those long legs in bad weather. It is beyond my comprehension why the worlds governments allow this to happen. These pirate groups should be dealt with, deadly and swiftly and decisive. It could be done in a week. History has proven that to be the only effective measure against pirates.

Now we have to hope and see if the ransom demands can be met... again.

ciao!
Nick.
Oh I agree completely Nick, I suppose I was just trying to point out that one should not think they can always fight their way out. In this story the pirates came in shooting if this group had not fought back they surely would be dead. And you are right it amazes me that the world governments cannot control this.

Wayne Canning, AMS
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2009, 06:15   #48

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36
I'm a bit flabbergasted by the "kid gloves" often used to deal with these pirates. You might think that when those pirates mistakenly opened fire on that French frigate, the ship would have returned (overwhelming) fire in kind, but they did not. They chased down one boat and let the other escape so they could capture a few. What, for the valuable intelligence they could obtain from prisoners? So they could trade a few pirates for some of the captives (yeah, right)? It doesn't seem like these pirates are being given the right kinds of disincentives.
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2009, 09:36   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSailor View Post
It doesn't seem like these pirates are being given the right kinds of disincentives.
I agree. I feel bad for the Lynn Rival couple, but it was their choice to sail in pirate-infested waters. To give the pirates even one cent puts all the rest of us at even more risk.
Bark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:18   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Captive British woman says pirates 'hospitable'

More ➥
Captive British woman says pirates 'hospitable' - Yahoo! News

Rachel Chandler told her brother, Stephen Collett, in a telephone call broadcast by ITV News that she is fine, they were "bearing up", and described her captors as "very hospitable.".

"They tell us that we're safe and we shouldn't worry and that if we want anything they will provide it in terms of food and water and everything like that," she said, according to a transcript. "They are very hospitable people so don't worry ... Physically we're fine, physically we're healthy."

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:31   #51

Boat: Phillip Rhodes 60 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to Alondra
We personally know Paul and Rachel (we sailed with them from Turkey through the red sea, over along to Yemen, Oman and than finally India). It is terrible what happened but a good reminder that the Piracy problem should not be under estimated. This outcome for us and everyone is a sheer reminder to be more than careful if you want to keep your belongings and most of all, your life. Let's hope they will be spared.
Alondra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:42   #52
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alondra View Post
Let's hope they will be spared.
Oh, of course they will be spared! If they started killing hostages the UN would invade. They will be fine. You want to have pitty on their family finances.

Luckily all my family are poor. I hope theres is too.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:09   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Oh, of course they will be spared!
Latest news might change that. From Yachting Montly news section:

Islamic fundamentalists driving pick-up trucks armed with heavy machine-guns are reportedly en route to Bahdo in Somalia to re-kidnap the Kentish yachting couple seized by pirates 10 days ago.

Hostage sailors face 'tug-of-war' | Sailing news | Yachting Monthly

Now they are a completely different and a real worry with a possible political agenda.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 14:14   #54

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Too bad you can't tell an Islamic Fundamentalist by looking at one huh?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 14:43   #55

Boat: 32' Bob Baker/Joel White Cutter (One-off wood)
In case you haven't caught this news (already a week old, yet):

Pirates call BBC: Somali kidnappers want $7 million ransom for UK couple

I can't imagine who's going to come up with the $7M, and the article makes a military rescue sound unlikely.
marujo.sortudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 04:17   #56
Armchair Bucketeer

Royal Navy (doesn't ) strike again...........

"The crew of a Royal Navy vessel watched helplessly as a British yachting couple were taken hostage by Somali pirates just yards away from them, it has emerged".

Royal Navy watched helpless as pirates kidnapped yacht couple Paul and Rachel Chandler - Telegraph

It's all about risk avoidance I guess - but at least this time the RN themselves didn't surrender to folks in a speed boat.........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 05:23   #57
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
It's all about risk avoidance I guess - .........
Its all about gutlessness. Like the Australian Navy sending caputerd pirates on their way after filling them with fuel and food. Damn gutless on both the government and the officer commanding.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 06:26   #58
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Its all about gutlessness.
Yeah, I was being polite

IMO the country would be better served if the RN remained in port (somewhere safe, like central Birmingham ), at least then no one would know they were no longer a fighting force..........rather than wandering the world being a national embarassement every time they encounter any hostiles.

A bit unfair given that the vessel concerned was not a "proper" warship? I don't think so - you are either in the Navy or you aint, it was armed, even had a helicopter and a size advantage with a "proper" warship 2 hours away (which also would have had a helicopter - so maybe under 1 hour flying time?). At the least they could have sunk the skiffs, maybe have rammed and dismasted the yacht (Jessica style )......or even tackled the mother ship

Of course no guarantee that the hostages would emerge unscathed, but if I was sitting onboard a captured yacht I would settle for a fighting chance.......a strange world where if I was in those circumstances I would prefer anyone but the RN to be steaming over the horizon.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 14:00   #59

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Totally unbelievable.

And they saw the mother ship too?

And did what?

Unbelievable
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 15:56   #60

Boat: a sailing boat
I hope the best for the couple. I hope someone will kick the Somalian's asses soon too.

What is the UN doing in this respect? Nothing as usual I guess and later the chair will get a Nobel peace prize or something like that.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epirb, piracy, Somalia