Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2009, 20:51   #16
Hal

Maybe they were taking turns. A "near miss" is a miss that was nearly a hit. Of course if it was a nuke a near miss is just as good as a hit. But what do I know, I'm stuck in Oklahoma where it was 9F this morning. Tomorrow it is supposed to be in the 60's. Maybe I could get the Force 5 in the water and practice getting wet.
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 21:00   #17

Boat: Beneteau 50
With all those girls well away from the ship at the time, it was a ton of far misses. Maybe some Mrs. too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Yes - Definitely not funny if anyone got hurt.

I will certainly be interested if a cause is found. Cooking gas?

"As many as 50 teenage girls had a near miss Monday when the sailboat they had been cruising on exploded and sank at a dock near Nanaimo, B.C."

This statement is one that really bugs me, though.

Isn't a near miss a hit? I mean, "I nearly missed but I didn't. It was a clean hit."

Didn't the girls really have a near hit?

(Sorry long day at work...)
bene505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 21:04   #18

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
I'm guessing the male sailors in BC. will now, not have much luck with the " would you like to see my sailboat " line
Old 17-01-2009, 01:08   #19
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
I am still miss-tified about the near miss to the 50 misses. I think this has the makings of a real miss story!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 05:32   #20

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
The 50 misses were likely daysailing as the boat would have vibrated apart from the chatter on an overnight

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 06:03   #21

Boat: Tashiba 40
The first time we were in Charlotte Amalie Harbor a captain and his friend set off a roach bomb on the cap'n's boat. They then went up on deck and they were blown into the wild blue yonder. The friend survived and the captain did not. Apparently there was a pilot light lit on the stove.
Old 17-01-2009, 13:41   #22
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 44' CSY "Walkover" cutter, La Nostra
Hey, Ex-Calif - the term "near miss" is actually a gunnery term. It is used to describe the firing of a round that missed the target, but landed very close to it, or NEAR it, as opposed to a more distant miss. The spotter could a term such as, "Near miss, move left". This would tell the gunners that they almost hit the target, but their round landed just a bit to it's right. They would then make a very small adjustment and fire again, as opposed to making a major adjustment. And, yes - I was in Armored Recon. and had training in "spotting in" artillery.
Located in the Sunny Caribbean
"Life's short ... Eat dessert first!"
harryrezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 15:32   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Oh yeah. That clears it up - LOL

"nearly missed" is still a hit...

I'll give ya "close miss" but then I've never heard of a "close hit." Although most hits require closeness unless you are talking cruise missiles or ICBMs.

Interestingly most sailor's are in fact looking for a close miss when they reach port...
Dan,
I that term grates me like nails on a chalkboard every time I hear it.

In aviation a "near miss" means they did not collide. Well if they nearly missed then they MUST have collided. The correct term would be a "near collision", which means they nearly collided, which means they missed.

"Near miss" is a double negative...which means a positive. It translates to "collision".

Ever hear the term "de-planing"? It grates me every time I hear a flight attendant use that term. If we de-plane when we board the aircraft then does that mean we "plane" when we get on the aircraft? No, we "board" the aircraft. How about "depart" the aircraft or "step off" the aircraft, "disembark" the aircraft or "leave" the aircraft. Any word is better than "de-planing".

I hope I don't come across as too fussy...but I am sure I am not the only one who has noticed these goofy terms.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 16:18   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Dan,

I hope I don't come across as too fussy...but I am sure I am not the only one who has noticed these goofy terms.
You and George Carlin.

Pre-heat the oven
Pre-Board the Airplane..etc
Old 17-01-2009, 16:19   #25

Park in the Driveway
Drive on the Parkway...
Old 17-01-2009, 16:46   #26

Boat: PETERSON 44
de-plane is a nautical term describing a sea plane that has landed but not yet docked. For instance at a sea plane terminal you may hear the dock master holler out de-plane de-plane then the name or names of those being notified followed by a single de-plane. I think it is in the col-regs
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 17:01   #27

Boat: never mind...
Quote:
"By that time, the high school girls had reached their campground after taking a short trip on the boat. Most seemed completely oblivious to how close they had come to disaster and possibly even death."
Don't you long for those days of fearless attitude? Attacking danger from all sides, because you knew you were invincible?
iSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 10:05   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
de-plane is a nautical term describing a sea plane that has landed but not yet docked. For instance at a sea plane terminal you may hear the dock master holler out de-plane de-plane then the name or names of those being notified followed by a single de-plane. I think it is in the col-regs
LOL...you just reminded me of Tattoo on Fantasy Island. "Da-plane!"

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 15:35   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryrezz View Post
Hey, Ex-Calif - the term "near miss" is actually a gunnery term. It is used to describe the firing of a round that missed the target, but landed very close to it, or NEAR it, as opposed to a more distant miss. The spotter could a term such as, "Near miss, move left". This would tell the gunners that they almost hit the target, but their round landed just a bit to it's right. They would then make a very small adjustment and fire again, as opposed to making a major adjustment. And, yes - I was in Armored Recon. and had training in "spotting in" artillery.
I love the explanation. So if they weren't so close is there a far miss? Then they could move left a little more than a near miss. But then we have to decide when a near miss becomes a far miss. Beyond a far miss, I guess it's back to gunnery school. Someone has a decimal point in the wrong place - LOL

I am sorta glad I did aviation. Everything in the air is a weapons system. Everything on the ground is a target. I like to keep things simple. Also we don't miss much anymore. As long as the little red dot is on the bad guy he's pretty much toast.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote