Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2011, 05:14   #76

Boat: Endeavour, 40
Re: Save the Anchorage In Washington, DC

Sam, I just don't think you get it. Maybe there is a DC developers forum you can join. Check the name of this forum, "Cruisers Forum" check the home ports of the 13 boats currently at anchor in the Washington Channel, none are from DC. Just like many of the Buildings, Parks, Memorials and Museums in the District, this is a national city with national and international visitors. The Washington Channel is federal property and is used by national and international crusiers. Mustering the National voting boaters to reject this DC grab for the anchorage is exactly why this forum exist. The crusiers who may not spend long streches of time in one state or district, but do have voting rights in some state, are willing to use those federal voting rights through their Congressman when it comes to saving federal anchorages.
Flipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:05   #77

Boat: Caliber 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Plan B View Post
The national boating community does not live here. As a matter of fact, you don't live here either. Elinore Holmes Norton does live here. It is in her interest to see this project through because it represents millions in sales and property taxes to the District government. Weighing against those millions is you. And you don't live here. Get for real.
You really don 't get it. I live here and I have written my representative, who has no voting rights but who is so willing to sell my neighborhood down the river. And I also know the Hoffmans and I have a completely different take than you. The Hoffman's are in business, and they intend to make money. The politicians are courted by many businesses and nonprofits, but money talks! And I wonder what is in it for you to keep pushing for this horrific proposal...it certainly isn't the best interests of a clean and friendly waterfront. This proposal will only take away from this amazing national resource, and in my view the Washington Channel should be a National Park and kept as a resource for the public rather than be turned into another megalithic profit center for a few.
harmony80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:08   #78
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmony80 View Post
..... This proposal will only take away from this amazing national resource, and in my view the Washington Channel should be a National Park and kept as a resource for the public rather than be turned into another megalithic profit center for a few.
Amen. Well said.

Perhaps it would be beneficial to introduce a new bill into the Congress to extend East Potomac Park (Hains Point and the Tidal Basin) eastward to the existing seawall, making the entire Washington Channel part of a national park.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 14:23   #79

Boat: Caliber 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Amen. Well said.

Perhaps it would be beneficial to introduce a new bill into the Congress to extend East Potomac Park (Hains Point and the Tidal Basin) eastward to the existing seawall, making the entire Washington Channel part of a national park.

Bill
Great follow up...I believe the department of the Interior would have the best chance of getting the attention of Congress. The Secretary of the Interior is a water conservationist and an environmental lawyer. We should begin a campaign to urge him to stop this madness. Call secretary Salazar at 202-208-3800 or email to Feedback@ios.doi.gov
http://www.doi.gov/whoweare/secretar...ar.cfm.doi.gov
And the National Park Service should be copied on all correspondence. U.S. National Park Service Contact Information
Jon Jarvis, director, NPS, 1849 C ST NW, Washington, DC 20240 or call 202-208-3818
Steve whitesell, national capital region director, NPS, 1100 Ohio Dr., SW, Washington, DC 20242, or call 202-619-7000
harmony80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 14:36   #80
Eternal Member

Excellent suggestions.

And, for those unfamiliar with Washington, DC, note that the Title of this thread reads, "Save the Anchorage in Washington, DC". Not "an anchorage" or "one of the anchorages".

The Washington Channel represents the only anchorage in the entire Nation's Capital suitable for cruising sailboats.

Why in heaven's name would we want to deny visitors -- American and foreign vessels alike -- the ability to anchor in the beautiful Capital of this great nation in close proximity to its many tourist attractions?

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:30   #81

The Washingtonian has an article about the Washington DC waterfront developer. No mention of how he will destroy the Washington Channel anchorage in the process.

Don't forget to remind your Congressman to vote NO on bill HR 723 and HR 2297.

http://washingtonian.s3.amazonaws.co...rfront2000.jpg
Old 09-09-2011, 07:57   #82

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Those interested in preserving our rights to anchor should check out the new FB group: Mariner's BARR
Old 09-09-2011, 08:21   #83

Quote:
DRAW your proposed design and write a brief narrative explaining it. Send that to PN Hoffman. Follow up with an email asking for a a few minutes to present your alternate. Your DRAWING should be 24" x 36" and mounted on board. It is also helpful if your DRAWING is followed accompanied with a print of the existing dock plan so that they can be compared side by side. It will also be helpful if you have a construction cost estimate that shows your proposal is less expensive than the dock plan now under consideration.

This is nonsense. Why go hat in hand to Hoffman and concede that changes are necessary. The change that is necessary is that this type of "land" grab needs to be stopped!
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 18:31   #84

Boat: Columbia 41

Listen. The train has left the station. The project is going forward. Drawings are in progress right now. Your endless whinging will not effect events. Further, you flatly refuse to engage the very people who are in a position to effect events to your liking. So, talk to each other. Talk all day long and into the night. When the development comes up out of the ground you will think of a houndred reasons why everyone has failed but you. This is the point in time when triage is applied. You will not listen. So, I leave you alone to let nature take its course. In one year you will be forgotten and this thread will be obsolete.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 20:06   #85

Quote:
Listen. The train has left the station. The project is going forward.
I don't think so.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 21:33   #86

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898

I don't think so.
u

The train never came to dc. No one here cares about a unobtainable anchorage. Barrie sold out the city twice Fenty gave away the city to wealthy white northwest residence and grey is so scandal embedded it's sick. Horton has done zero in the past few years. Maybe she could convince congress to giveaway more property so a bunch of developers can make more money. I think that is a real likely hood. They will promise that 30 percent of the workers will be dc residence they wash the record by hiring handlers that are qualified as Ldsb contractors. The work force comes from Calvert pg st marys fairfax everyone feels good makes money and dc is dc with crap schools unless you are in northwest where the schools have all been refitted. In northeast the schools look like ****. In northwest they have these fab playgrounds and are newly remodeled. So are we really worried about an anchorage. Were having way to much fun watching a top few people screw over the city. I like the anchorage I actually like RFK too. Neither is doing any thing for the city. Then again home depot and the nationals haven't done much either.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:15   #87

The District and the developer can make all the drawings and plans they want, but if the Federal government does not give them the property, they go nowhere into the anchorage. Congress must approve the transfer, if those who can vote let their congressman know to VOTE NO on Bills H.R. 723 and 2297, we save the anchorage!
Old 10-09-2011, 15:31   #88

Just a quick update, The DC Zoning Commission meets Monday Sept 12th at 18:30 (6 PM). Reading the preliminary draft for PUD 11-03, it sounds like the DC Zoning Commission will be approving the developers plan contingent on Congressional approval of the Washington Channel transfer. Please contact you Congressman and tell him / her to vote NO on H.R. 723 and H.R. 2297.
Old 10-09-2011, 16:19   #89

Boat: Ohlson 38

Christ! These guys have already ruined the only good anchorage (National Harbor) and now the greedy bastards wanna ruin Washington Channel for the boaters too. This is Wash DC though, so it's ALL about power and money. Right and wrong rarely enter the equation. Enough already!
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 16:32   #90

Boat: Columbia 41

Go to: The Wharf - Washington, DC to see what you are fighting.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Washington DC