Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 16:37   #106

Boat: Columbia 41
Re: Save the Anchorage In Washington, DC

Please provide an alternate marina plan. Whinging is not helpful.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 16:43   #107

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Plan B View Post
Please provide an alternate marina plan. Whinging is not helpful.
Current arrangement is better than the proposal.

Next question?
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 16:48   #108

The present arrangement is going away. Please provide an alternate marina design.
Old 04-03-2012, 17:25   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Plan B View Post
The present arrangement is going away. Please provide an alternate marina design.
OK, shorten the existing docks so there is more room to anchor!
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 18:37   #110

The previous post is not a deliverable. It appears that someone has access to PDF images of the proposed dockside layout. Interested persons who wish to offer up an alternate layout should mark up the PDF noting the preferred pier spacing, length and related service facilities (dockmaster office, toilet/shower facilities, pumping station, etc.). Send that marked up to PN Hoffman and you may find your views have traction. Whinging on this web site will do nothing for your cause.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:45   #111

Boat: Endeavour, 40

Sam, Do you get paid or benefit financialy in any way on this project? If no then please clearly say so, if yes, I believe you need to excuse yourself and not post as that would conflict with the intent of this forum.
Flipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:09   #112

In answer to Sam's question, I did offer an alternate proposal to the US Army Corps of Engineers, as did others who wrote in to USACE. I know this because I filed a FOIA and recieved a copy of them. I know that they were passed to the developer by the USACE. By the developers own survey of the existing facilities much of the current wharfage still has plenty of life left.

The District of Columbia wants 5 additional piers for the "public" to be closer to the waterfront. A Market pier, A transportation pier, A city pier, A recreation pier, and An additional cruise vessel pier. The current watefront frontage is full of marinas. In order to the developer and District to get what they want, need more reparian rights (bottom land rights) so they can make the marinas narrower at the frontage and longer into the Washington Channel. They currently do not have that right because it belongs to all Americans (USACE is in charge of it) because Congress passed a law in 1935. They cannot get it back unless Congress passes another law (currently H.R. 723). I and many other crusiers and cruising associations believe we need to oppose any grab for this well used anchorage.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:19   #113

No, I do not bennifit from the SW development financially or otherwise. I do live on my boat not far from there and so know quite a bit about the project. And no, I have no patience with those who would play King of the Thread rather than take effective action to advance their cause. But even if I did work for PN Hoffman, which I do not, it would not change a word of my previous post which remains the one and only way that effective action can be taken. Whinging here is not helpful. Demonstrate to PN Hoffman that their marina consultant has it all wrong and you may accomplish something. In Air Force parlance, you are all flap and no throtle.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:33   #114

Sam, I will take you at your word. But if you are with the contractor as a sub, I still believe you should address your commercial interest. As I said in my earlier post, I and others have posted alternate recomendations with UASCE and they forwarded them to the developer and District. I think the developer and city need to adjust their plan the development to fit the property they control and leave the Washington Channel with a national and international perspective under USACE or National Park Service (NPS).
Old 23-03-2012, 05:09   #115

It turns out that HR 2297 which passed in the house in December refers to a deed submitted by the developer DC #2009116776 which included the additional 200 feet or reparian rights which is currently half of the Washington Channel. In order to stop it's adoption the Senate must not pass a similar pill. Ask you Senators not to pass a similar bill in legislation in the Senate.
Old 23-03-2012, 05:48   #116
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper View Post
It turns out that HR 2297 which passed in the house in December refers to a deed submitted by the developer DC #2009116776 which included the additional 200 feet or reparian rights which is currently half of the Washington Channel. In order to stop it's adoption the Senate must not pass a similar pill. Ask you Senators not to pass a similar bill in legislation in the Senate.
HR2297 is a blatant attempt to end-run any objections to the Developer's master plan, which includes cutting the Washington Channel width IN HALF and thereby denying any visiting yachts to the Nation's Capital a safe and convenient anchorage!

The House legislation wording is such that only someone intimately familiar with the associated processes could discern what it's all about.

The text of this legislation can be found here:
Bill Text - 112th Congress (2011-2012) - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

PLEASE DO NOT LET THIS STAND. CONTACT YOUR SENATOR TO ENSURE THAT A SIMILAR BILL IS NOT PASSED IN THE SENATE.

WE ARE IN DIRE JEOPARDY OF LOSING A NATIONAL TREASURE, AND OF DENYING CRUISING BOATS A SAFE ANCHORAGE IN WASHINGTON, DC.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 06:08   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
HR2297 is a blatant attempt to end-run any objections to the Developer's master plan, which includes cutting the Washington Channel width IN HALF and thereby denying any visiting yachts to the Nation's Capital a safe and convenient anchorage!

The House legislation wording is such that only someone intimately familiar with the associated processes could discern what it's all about.

The text of this legislation can be found here:
Bill Text - 112th Congress (2011-2012) - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

PLEASE DO NOT LET THIS STAND. CONTACT YOUR SENATOR TO ENSURE THAT A SIMILAR BILL IS NOT PASSED IN THE SENATE.

WE ARE IN DIRE JEOPARDY OF LOSING A NATIONAL TREASURE, AND OF DENYING CRUISING BOATS A SAFE ANCHORAGE IN WASHINGTON, DC.

Bill

Bill:

Any idea what the Senate Bill # this might fall under or is it just in commitee at this point? Another point have you spoken to the people at BOAT U.S. I'm sure they have a few lobbyists working for us boaters who can help put pressure on the Senators too.
Old 23-03-2012, 07:38   #118
Eternal Member

Capt Mike,

Sorry, I don't have any info on any Senate bill yet.

We've gotta be on the watch, because there will no doubt be an attempt to slip this into another, perhaps unrelated bill so it can stay under the radar.

Yes, Boat U.S. is apprised of the situation. So, too, is SSCA.

By the way, the Developer has not responded to a request by the Corps of Engineers to provide evidence that this would not impede navigation in the Channel....way overdue.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 08:41   #119

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Phil/Flipper chairs the Concerned Cruisers Committee at SSCA. His efforts are very much supported. He's doing a great job staying on top of things like the DC anchorage and the anchorage pilot program in Florida. SSCA also has worked to ease the liveaboard restrictions in Georgia and to mitigate the proposed statewide raft-up limits in MD.

We can always use more people to help keep an eye on things, write letters, go to meetings, and spread the word. Even a couple of hours a month or a weekend surge can help.

sail fast, dave
Dave Skolnick
SSCA Board of Directors
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 11:12   #120

Ok Plan B, here is my proposed layout which does not require extending the docks out an additional 200 feet.

Tags
anchor, Washington DC