Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2015, 12:07   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Ranger 25 Tug
SCAM WARNING

We were would be victims of an attempted scam today!

We were called by a "Captain Jim Morgan" allegedly at the US Embassy in the Bahamas who reported that he had our grandson, Elliott who had been arrested for drug possession and wanted $2,000 sent to him as a an "appearance bond". Elliott is currently cruising with his parents aboard NALANI in the Bahamas, so I called my son, Gary, who reported that Elliott was currently sitting in the cockpit.

When I got back to "Captain Morgan" (on hold while I made the other call) and started to tell him that, he hung up.

The number that I was supposed to call him back on was 888-424-5277.

PLEASE BE AWARE THAT INFO REPORTED TO THE BAHAMIAN AUTHORITIES MUST BE BEING FORWARDED TO SOME NEFARIOUS INDIVIDUALS!
Al Golden
Old 08-04-2015, 12:12   #2

Re: SCAM WARNING

Thanks for the warning. It's a fairly common scam.

One of my elderly uncles was similarly scammed several years back by a call out of the blue purporting to be one of his grown grandkids, who was in trouble in the US and needed bail money.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:32   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Al-
IIRC the 888 area code is "toll free" and as such a billing party has to register with a real phone company to get that number.
So there's a better than usual chance that if this is reported to the FBI, they can obtain that information and perhaps pursue the responsible party.
Always worth trying to get the trash thrown out.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 13:13   #4

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Hi Al,

I'm going to post this in my Cruiser's Weekly Update tomorrow if that's OK with you. I'm curious how your phone number would have been acquired – was it your business or a personal phone? Seems like a very targeted scam...nasty people.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 18:23   #5

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

This has happened in Florida to is recently, almost verbatim, called to a friend also in florida from a florida number.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:02   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Ranger 25 Tug

We assume that Elliott listed my home number as his "Emergency Contact Number" when they cleared in to Bahamas Customs.

Al Golden
Old 09-04-2015, 08:19   #7

Boat: Cape Dory 31

How about a call to the Bahamian authorities or notifying the U.S. Embassy so they can follow up with the authorities? Seems like a much better bet since the FBI doesn't operate in other countries. Also Bahamas belong to INTERPOL and they excell at this type of crime.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:54   #8

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Scam aside, nice to see you posting, Al!

I've mostly touched base with Gary and your other minions over this last decade or two... but I still remember CompuServe days

Cheers, -Chris

(on M/V Ranger, now; was M/V Silverheels in those early days)
Old 09-04-2015, 12:16   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"We assume that Elliott listed my home number as his "Emergency Contact Number" when they cleared in to Bahamas Customs."

There is something that is easily done, which can prevent this type of "identity theft". Which is common even within the US in medical offices and hospitals. Simply,

CORRUPT THE DATABASE. Not totally, not critically, but make sure there is SOME misleading or false information put down.

For instance, Al could arrange with his son to put down "Albert" instead of "Al" Golden. No big deal in a real emergency, but anyone calling for "Albert" would set off a red flag the instant they asked to speak to him.

When I was a kid, "George" owned the bicycle and hobby store. Everyone called him that. Years later while doing some work for George I found out his name was PETE. It turns out the original owner was "George" and everyone kept calling him that, so he figured anyone asking for "George" is either a customer or salesman. Anyone asking for "Pete" got his real attention, much faster.

Jim-
The FBI would still have interest. Criminal impersonation of a US Government employee is still their bailiwick, no matter where it happens. They've got the direct numbers to call in other venues, and their call gets more attention than yours or mine would.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 14:02   #10

Boat: Outbound 44

Thanks for the heads up. You might want to report this to your local FBI office. They will generally followup.
Old 09-04-2015, 21:09   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Golden View Post

We were called by a "Captain Jim Morgan" allegedly at the US Embassy in the Bahamas who reported that he had our grandson, Elliott who had been arrested for drug possession and wanted $2,000 sent to him as a an "appearance bond". Elliott is currently cruising with his parents aboard NALANI in the Bahamas, so I called my son, Gary, who reported that Elliott was currently sitting in the cockpit.

This of course always raises the question of whether or not the voice of Captain Morgan sounded at all like Elliott's or Gary's...
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote