Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2021, 10:41   #31

Re: Selling La Vagabonde?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea2ocean View Post
An electric cat would still have a genny. The times that they'd really need it aren't that often. Going electric is 0 emissions, less maintenance and no fuel cost. There's a sail for light wind.
As far a I know so far - the boat will be carbon, with electric drives probably ocean volt, they will have a genny as a back up. I get the impression it will be bigger as they are likely to have some crew onboard. They are speaking about doing some of the internal fit out, but that may be partly design/partly labour? All further details are top secret at present, but i don't think it will be to much longer before there are announcements. I believe the current boat is being auctioned. Was trying to find the auction or details of it when i came on this thread.
Robert T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:36   #32

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Hi Robert T...Welcome to the forum. Personally, I think they have it made the way things currently are and with the boat they have. A baby on the way, another one still in diapers and then add a crew to boot. Doesn't sound like serenity to me.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 19:26   #33

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Jimmy Cornell already proved all electric is not feasible. At least to date. I would imagine that they are going to shop for a 50'+
Jimmy proved he couldn't do it. Other people already are.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 20:05   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
Jimmy proved he couldn't do it. Other people already are.

They are? Jimmy Cornell was trying to circumnavigate. Are you telling me someone has done a carbon zero circumnavigation?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 03-04-2021, 06:47   #35

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
They are? Jimmy Cornell was trying to circumnavigate. Are you telling me someone has done a carbon zero circumnavigation?

People have circumnavigated in engineless boats, so yes, it's possible and has been done. But only a limited sub-set of people will find it practical, as many have usage patterns / desires that electric can't quite meet yet.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:37   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
People have circumnavigated in engineless boats, so yes, it's possible and has been done. But only a limited sub-set of people will find it practical, as many have usage patterns / desires that electric can't quite meet yet.
yes, I got that. But apples and oranges here.

From Jimmy Cornell: "Our 1000-mile maiden voyage from La Grande Motte to Seville showed up some of the weaknesses of the regeneration system when it failed to keep up with the overall consumption on a proper voyage, not during a test in calm waters. The consumption included both the autopilot and instruments, and also domestic demands such as induction cooker, microwave oven, two fridges, etc. My doubts started after we had sailed 82 miles in a period of 10 hours at an average speed of 8.2 knots. The net gain was a disappointing 9.5% of our total battery capacity, equivalent to 5.32 kWh, or 532 Watts per hour."
The zero carbon regenerative power produced could not keep up with demand. Sure, people circumnavigate without creature comforts. But I think Jimmy was taking into account of refrigeration,m electronics and an electric sail drive. I wouldn't imagine any modern catamaran cruiser that could not live without their watermaker, blender and other array of electrical hungry tools.
Old 03-04-2021, 15:16   #37

Boat: Other peoples

La Vagabond and LVB2 has not circumnavigated.
Lots of engineless boats have and lots more electric boats will. It is the future.
Lucky Luke 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 17:10   #38

"It is the future"... So where flying cars.
Old 03-04-2021, 18:11   #39

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Jimmy Cornell plans to try again this October, I wish him well but while it might be a better result I cant see how it will be a different result, the same restraints are still there. I hope I'm wrong.

Unless he uses a bigger and more efficient boat than an Outreemer, then covers it in solar and a huge oversized sail plan to counter larger sail drive regeneration with props reshaped for regeneration and less efficient drive I don't think it will work. If it could be done, I think you would need a very comprimised boat to do it which is not what we want to see. All the electrics will need to be extremely efficient, expensive units and smart management systems. Then you need the weather gods to follow you around.

QUOTE:

"Despite not using electric winches, no hot drinks, turning off fridges and using the solar cooker, Aventura Zero failed to maintain a sustainable balance between consumption and regeneration."

That doesn't sound like something you can tweek a bit to make work.
Old 03-04-2021, 18:13   #40

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

To make it work, you'd definitely need a lot of solar and wind gen on top of the regen power. And you'd definitely have to plan and compromise a bit to minimize use of the electric drive unless you're cruising an area where you can spend a night at a marina to recharge if needed.

So it can be done, but definitely won't work for everyone at this point, as it'll definitely restrict how you can use the boat.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 18:18   #41

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
"It is the future"... So where flying cars.
Hahahaha, that would be so funny to watch. People can't drive in two dimensions can you imagine all the cars raining down if we were let loose in three dimensions.
Old 04-04-2021, 01:09   #42

Boat: Dragonfly 920 / 30 ft

We talked about Cornell's boat in other threads. He had far too much new tech and electronics on board, it was a conceptual failure from the start. More realistic, modest consumption would definitely work however .
Simon.Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 07:59   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon.Sails View Post
We talked about Cornell's boat in other threads. He had far too much new tech and electronics on board, it was a conceptual failure from the start. More realistic, modest consumption would definitely work however .

That might be true but someone would have to do it before that one goes in the books. Lets face it...eventually technology will find a way for anyone to be in reach of it. But I still think it is much further in the future for the typical Cat owner.
Old 04-04-2021, 14:29   #44

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
That might be true but someone would have to do it before that one goes in the books. Lets face it...eventually technology will find a way for anyone to be in reach of it. But I still think it is much further in the future for the typical Cat owner.
it is almost unbelievable just how far you are off base.

I guess where you are you may not find a lot of engine free sailors. I know a few on wharram style catamaran and many others. But not only engine free but also without autopilot or self steering gear, only using sheet to tiller (which works completely differently on a crab claw)

Some other people don't use gps or windlass, or even cooked food. So why can't jimmy do it? Did he just not want to change his lifestyle and make some sacrifice? Is this essentially just the same root selfishness of the entire problem in an individual example?

I never used any kind of engine either so again jimmy's result is his own failure and nothing more.

An electric drive should approach 80% efficiency from solar panel to propulsion.
Ocean volt drives are not very efficient because of the same under-sized propeller limitations their efficiency is 20-30% in most cases; so basically terrible.

Finally, everyone who wants "regen" please consider again that a propeller sucks at this performance-wise, and for the same drag you would get double the power with a purpose generating turbine which is similarly bad for use as propulsion, so you need both systems unless you can easily change the propeller for the turbine and are willing to do that.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 14:43   #45

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

This and the incredible noise most flying cars of the current generation make. Horrible.
We go to quiet electric ground vehicles only to replace them with incredibly noisy above ground vehicles.
Still it would be fabulous if transportation could work completely silent and without the need for a road system.
Unfortunately both is far far away.

Wow. What a thread drift. Sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Hahahaha, that would be so funny to watch. People can't drive in two dimensions can you imagine all the cars raining down if we were let loose in three dimensions.