Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2021, 11:37   #61

Boat: Toes in the surfline and eyes on tomorrow's horizon
Re: Selling La Vagabonde?

I think they're jumping too early. In a couple of years the Eagle 63 from Fast Forward Composites should hit the market. Based on the current test boat model's appearance it wouldn't be that difficult to tweak the hull superstructure a little bit and aim the boat toward the performance cruising world.

Can you imagine making an Atlantic or Pacific passage in only a few days because your cat can fly like the AC 72's, or the 75's and IMOCA racers for monohulls?

Foiling is the future. A fast passage is inherently safer because you're not out in the risky bits for as long of a time.
Rob_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:57   #62

Boat: ‘89 Hallberg-Rassy 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_P View Post
I think they're jumping too early. In a couple of years the Eagle 63 from Fast Forward Composites should hit the market. Based on the current test boat model's appearance it wouldn't be that difficult to tweak the hull superstructure a little bit and aim the boat toward the performance cruising world.

Can you imagine making an Atlantic or Pacific passage in only a few days because your cat can fly like the AC 72's, or the 75's and IMOCA racers for monohulls?

Foiling is the future. A fast passage is inherently safer because you're not out in the risky bits for as long of a time.

You’re going to want your Oscar dothingy to be on point. Pretty catastrophic whacking into something on your cruising foiler in the open ocean. I think maybe a shark or a sunfish would be pretty problematic as well
HR42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 06:48   #63

I'm constantly amazed with some of what is posted on forums.

Cruising engineless.....has no-one heard of Lyn and Larry Pardey? Look them up. What size engine did James Cook have when he toured the world?

I have occasionally looked at the La Vagabonde videos, and to date, Riley has mentioned building their own boat, but not yet said what, how, or where? I gather that the fitout is what he is more interested in.

A big cat is great for deck/floor space, but limited by marinas and docks. Yes, it can be anchored out and a big runabout carried for convenience.

I've seen some very unseamanlike practices in the LVB videos, but that can be said of most of the sailing vlogs on Youtube. Many cruising people never see a storm at sea, but that is what cruising is about after all. Avoid the bad weather.

To me, an engine is an absolute necessary as backup, for safety.

And before the lounge chair admirals tear me to pieces; I worked as a permanent skipper on race boats for twelve years, including an 84ft for a few years. Then motor yachts. This was far enough back when raceboats actually did ocean crossings on their own bottoms. I grew up building boats and commercial workboats, and working on them at sea.

I'll be off cruising very soon, when I get my finances in order, so I might see some of you around the anchorages.
Elleroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:10   #64
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elleroo View Post
I'm constantly amazed with some of what is posted on forums.

Cruising engineless.....has no-one heard of Lyn and Larry Pardey? Look them up. What size engine did James Cook have when he toured the world?

I have occasionally looked at the La Vagabonde videos, and to date, Riley has mentioned building their own boat, but not yet said what, how, or where? I gather that the fitout is what he is more interested in.

A big cat is great for deck/floor space, but limited by marinas and docks. Yes, it can be anchored out and a big runabout carried for convenience.

I've seen some very unseamanlike practices in the LVB videos, but that can be said of most of the sailing vlogs on Youtube. Many cruising people never see a storm at sea, but that is what cruising is about after all. Avoid the bad weather.

To me, an engine is an absolute necessary as backup, for safety.

And before the lounge chair admirals tear me to pieces; I worked as a permanent skipper on race boats for twelve years, including an 84ft for a few years. Then motor yachts. This was far enough back when raceboats actually did ocean crossings on their own bottoms. I grew up building boats and commercial workboats, and working on them at sea.

I'll be off cruising very soon, when I get my finances in order, so I might see some of you around the anchorages.

The Pardeys eventually had an outboard attached to their boat. Before that they were well known to get a tow into an anchorage.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote