Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2010, 13:07   #1

Solo Circumnavigator Rescued Near Cape Horn

While we discuss so much about young girls sailing around the world, and one needing a rescue, I just read about the rescuing of Bernt Lüchtenborg, a middle-aged Swiss man, outside Cape Horn few weeks ago.

His plan was solo non-stop circumnavigation two laps around the world, from Germany, around the Southern Capes, first eastbound, then westbound.

He started in the summer 2009, but he had a rudder failure outside New Zealand, which he couldn't repair. So he had to be rescued. The boat could be towed to NZ and repaired.

He continued around Cape Horn, to pass a waypoint among the Canary Islands. He had to stop there to get repairs. He started again in March 2010, and rounded Cape Horn westbound, but he had a serious arm injury and needed boat repair, so he had to aim for Ushuaia. When the wind died, he started the engine, which later died because of kelp. The boat drifted onto the rocks. He had to abandon his boat and he was rescued again.

There has not been much media attention in this matter, and almost only in German (Google search on "Bernd Lüchtenborg" 8 380 hits, and on "Abby Sunderland" 7 170 000 hits). It is more interesting to write about young girls.

Why did he try to round Cape Horn (lat 56S) in June? Abby was at latitude 40S in June and got much critisism for that.
bengtinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 06:00   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengtinge View Post
While we discuss so much about young girls sailing around the world, and one needing a rescue, I just read about the rescuing of Bernt Lüchtenborg, a middle-aged Swiss man, outside Cape Horn few weeks ago.

His plan was solo non-stop circumnavigation two laps around the world, from Germany, around the Southern Capes, first eastbound, then westbound.

He started in the summer 2009, but he had a rudder failure outside New Zealand, which he couldn't repair. So he had to be rescued. The boat could be towed to NZ and repaired.

He continued around Cape Horn, to pass a waypoint among the Canary Islands. He had to stop there to get repairs. He started again in March 2010, and rounded Cape Horn westbound, but he had a serious arm injury and needed boat repair, so he had to aim for Ushuaia. When the wind died, he started the engine, which later died because of kelp. The boat drifted onto the rocks. He had to abandon his boat and he was rescued again.

There has not been much media attention in this matter, and almost only in German (Google search on "Bernd Lüchtenborg" 8 380 hits, and on "Abby Sunderland" 7 170 000 hits). It is more interesting to write about young girls.

Why did he try to round Cape Horn (lat 56S) in June? Abby was at latitude 40S in June and got much critisism for that.
No doubt the media is more interested in young girls and boys as opposed to middle aged men, but he was also not going for any sort of record. Here is an earlier thread on the subject in case you missed it ...http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rds-35572.html
Old 19-07-2010, 16:45   #3

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul
I remember the days when people circumnavigated without the need to have a website.
Tom
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 17:15   #4

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
I remember the days when people circumnavigated without the need to have a website.
Tom
I think they still do, you just don't know about them.

I heard that someone said they wanted to be the first to sail around the world and NOT write a book about it. But I that already been done.
Old 21-07-2010, 04:48   #5

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
Tom
Yes and I remember the days before Television

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 05:22   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengtinge View Post
He is an adult, the girls were not. That's why the girls' journeys were more controversial.
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote