Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2016, 08:41   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Still need info about our boat in San Carlos

while you await news, please be aware that a shrimper with all hands has capsized in soc between cabo san lucas and mazatlan due to being rejected from port of refuge, which cabo san lucas was not, they were correctly advised by port capt and refused entry to port, this shrimper attempted to make mazatlan, which was a safe harbor for htis mess. they capsized with loss of all 5 hands as a direct result.
so, while you await information, please say prayers for the families of these dead shrimpers who had no option during the brunt of the storm at cabo san lucas than to attempt a death defying leap to maz--and failed. not their choice. the families now have zero income and zero income generating ability as the bacon bringers are dead.
one shrimper is still missing. as you await your info, imagine how the wives and children of these men must feel not knowing what has happened to their husbands and fathers.
you all are insured or you would be elsewhere with your insured yachts.
these families are now without any source if income at all and have personal losses of human beings.
be happy you only have boat damages. and of those, the items and boats are replaceable. lives are not replaceable.
be thankful your possessions have been carefully watched over.
be happy you still have life and voices.
and this was no patricia, but merely a cat 1 on landfall.
i do hope your losses are minimal, HOWEVER, can we PLEASE return to a reality of life.
your waiting time will be up to a month, as will be the wait time of the last remaining family who has yet to hear of the status of the loved one lost at sea.
no one watched over these 5 men and their ship.

Van 4 cuerpos hallados del naufragio en BCS; Capitanía Los Cabos, les habría negado refugio - BCS Noticias
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:53   #17

Boat: Columbia 10.7

Hello, my boat is also in Seca and was able to get a hold of them yesterday and they said they were sending out emails to boat owners with damage and if you didn't receive anything by last night you were probably OK. Seca is really pretty good about contacting owners who have damage when this kind of thing happens. I have several friends still down there and said it was quite a ride. Someone in the Ranchitos has a weather station and clocked the wind 105 mph. I think Guaymas got hit the hardest, with several boats sunk and damage to a lot of the dock.
sloopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:01   #18

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Hi Sloopman.
Thanks for the assurance. We did get an email from m.seca. Right name, wrong boat! Thats a goid thing for us I think. Not so good for the other Gitana. I hope the damages on that boat are minimal.
Thanks to all who have offered assurances and advice. I do appreciate everything!
Old 09-09-2016, 10:26   #19

Our boat is there also. I just called them (011 52 622 1061), they answered right away. They told me they have already sent out emails with pictures to the owners of boats that were damaged. Then they followed it up with an email stating the same thing. Hope you don't have an email & that everything is good with your boat!
s/v Bella Luna
Lynne Smith
BellaLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:39   #20

Great news!!! Our broker just sent us pics of Gitana! She is well and happy. No damage that we can see in the pics. Even her solar panels look fine. So very happy!!!!
Old 09-09-2016, 12:01   #21

Location: Mountains south of Campo. South East of TKT in Baja.
Boat: 45 ft., Leopard

I am glad to hear your boat is fine. I am a little late with the post. I was going to state "No news is good news". It is one I have used for years when waiting for news. It helps to calm the nerves while waiting. Bad news travels faster than good news. I also read yesterday a post from marina manager stating he was informing the owners of damaged boats first.
fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:15   #22

Location: Mountains south of Campo. South East of TKT in Baja.
Boat: 45 ft., Leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
while you await news, please be aware that a shrimper with all hands has capsized in soc between cabo san lucas and mazatlan due to being rejected from port of refuge, which cabo san lucas was not, they were correctly advised by port capt and refused entry to port, this shrimper attempted to make mazatlan, which was a safe harbor for htis mess. they capsized with loss of all 5 hands as a direct result.
so, while you await information, please say prayers for the families of these dead shrimpers who had no option during the brunt of the storm at cabo san lucas than to attempt a death defying leap to maz--and failed. not their choice. the families now have zero income and zero income generating ability as the bacon bringers are dead.
one shrimper is still missing. as you await your info, imagine how the wives and children of these men must feel not knowing what has happened to their husbands and fathers.
these families are now without any source if income at all and have personal losses of human beings.
be happy you only have boat damages. and of those, the items and boats are replaceable. lives are not replaceable.
i do hope your losses are minimal, HOWEVER, can we PLEASE return to a reality of life.
your waiting time will be up to a month, as will be the wait time of the last remaining family who has yet to hear of the status of the loved one lost at sea.

Van 4 cuerpos hallados del naufragio en BCS; Capitanía Los Cabos, les habría negado refugio - BCS Noticias
Yesterday morning, the Mexican news reported (the weather radar showed) the storm outer rings going as far north as Santa Rosalia on the Baja peninsula. I do not have any information as to damage between cabo and Santa Rosalia. I pray all boats on the Baja side obtained news about the storm in time and found refuge!
fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 13:20   #23

Boat: Ranger 33'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Thanks evertone. I realize the situation is not easy down there. I am actually not expecting to hear from the manager for some time. But I have seen reports from others that have gotten information from friends of friends. It seemed prudent to ask, because one can not know if one is not asking.
Susswein, we have been active on the sancarlosmexico.Com site as S.V Gitana. I know we have seen you there : )
Funny enough, Jim and I have both been posting I under that name and Jim answered one of my posts. In essence he answered himself! Jim says there is someone going to the yard tomorrow. With luck his boat might be close enough to grab a photo or two. A shot of her attitude where she stands would greatly ease our minds.
The marina sent me an E-mail yesterday stating: Photos have been sent of downed boats in the dry yard; if your boat is involved with the toppled boats off the stands. If you have not received an E-mail with photos of damage to the boat, than your boat was not involved! From San Carlos Secca Marina.
roygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 13:27   #24
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

The latest Latitude 38 Update
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 14:16   #25
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

aaahh rich ye beat me to it...
latitude 38 has an excellent write up. my additions--i think the ferro is werners boat. and 4 of the 5 crew on the capsized shrimp boat have been found dead.
to those of you who have not yet heard anything, the article may help relieve some anxieties, i hope. there was a good coverage of all affected areas.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 16:33   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post

Zee,

I am well aware of these shrimpers and know quite well their families suffer. I saw a bit of your post on the other thread and I am torn between loving your sense of decency and being a pallet that you think anyone looking for their property would be so callus to think NOTHING of the community od San Carlos and it's people or anyone else on SOC. I have had little time these past few days to post every thought I have had regarding the hurricane and it's aftermath.
I am not a religious person and I don't believe in God. My "prayers" will not re_roof a house, turn on the electric or feed anyone. Mt thoughts will do just as little.
I don't have time to qualify every post with broader thoughts on the many tragedies that have taken place. Similarly I don't tell the cashier at the grocers how thankful I am to eat when others starve.

Have faith that humanity is much more concerned for others than a few posts on a forum might seem to indicate. After all, the time we spend here is but a small fraction of our lives. Please don't judge others based on such scant information.
Old 10-09-2016, 06:10   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Lynne S.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 07:48   #28

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Great news!!! Our broker just sent us pics of Gitana! She is well and happy. No damage that we can see in the pics. Even her solar panels look fine. So very happy!!!!
Have you been down to check your boat yet?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 17:40   #29

Boat: Beneteau 40CC

Might check with the folks at sancarlosyachtsales.com- Dan and Brisa
DreaminFred is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
san carlos