Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2015, 05:01   #16
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: Strictly Sail Miami impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
300 Hp outboard engines
Boat interior decorators
Giagantanormous diesel engines
25 different brands of sunglasses
45 different brands of t-shirts
$15,000 electronically controlled box 20 gph water makers when you can buy a manually controlled modular unit for you sailboat for $4500.
Silicone boob, lips, and butt implants, 4" high heals, and lots of Rolex watches.
Also:
A ton of inflatables
Small outboards
Small diesels
Diesel gensets
Windlasses
Winches
Sailboat hardware
ALL electronics
Refrigeration
And more! If you went to Strictly Sail and were looking for boating supplies the convention center was the place to be. It would be easy to spend a full day walking around the convention center where the vendors tent in the Strictly Sail part of the show could easily be done in less than an hour.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 05:27   #17

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKsailsolo View Post
The other 3/4? What am I missing? I thought it was powerboats at the Convention center. A minute after this post I read the next post answering the question, it's anything other than sailboats. Also, for the past three years I have attended Strictly Sail Miami, there has always been a separation between the two shows. Am crossing Miami off my annual show treks. Beautiful venue but disappointing boat inventory. See you in Annapolis in the fall.
Obviously it depends on what you are looking for. If you are only interested in walking on sailboats, no need to go to the Convention Center (unless Hobie beach cat is on your list).

What's at the CC that may be of interest to sailors????

- Every type/brand of anchor/ground tackle made
- Everything for a galley
- Fenders, docking accessories
- weather gear">Foul weather gear and clothing
- Every brand ice chest/cooler
- Tons of fishing gear
- Line, Rope, Cordage, Chain
- Better selection of electronics
- Better selection of dinghy/rib
- Better selection of air conditioners
- Better selection of solar
- Better selection of battery charger
- Better selection of bilge pump
- Bigger selection of desalinators (Rich note: I said bigger, not better)
- Better selection of generator
- Everything electrical
- Everything lighting
- Everything pump
- Big selection of refrigerators
- Sailmakers
- Sailboat riggers
- Every toilet made
- Kayaks, paddle boards

and I've only made it thru the first 3 pages (of 12) of the directory....

YMMV
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 05:31   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Island Packet is a no show and Hunter is only showing one boat in their own back yards? That doesn't look good for those two domestic builders. I would have thought both of companies would have their entire line up there for inspection. Or, at the very least the flagship model of their fleet.

Boat shows sell boats. We sold our Hunter at a small boat show in Dana Point a few years ago, and purchased our Oyster as a result of attending the Newport, RI boat show. How do these two companies expect to sell any boats?

No, it doesn't look good. I disagree on shows selling boats, but as a manufacturer, you have to go to shows, if you don't the talk about why you didn't can really hurt sales.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 06:46   #19

I'm curious, have the slips gotten too expensive for manufacturers to justify bringing in several boats?
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 06:54   #20

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Yep at st pete site had few hunters. Lots of bene and jean.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 08:29   #21

From attending and speaking to one delivery crew, I do know at least one boat just wasn't "ready" to be delivered to the show - so maybe a few of the no-shows were due to that. As someone just exploring the sailing side of boating, I was looking forward to seeing IP and the larger Hunters. Beneteau and Salonas were excellent in their presentation and engagement with us, as was FP in the multi-hulls. Most of the broker-represented boats didn't seem too interested in showcasing their boats; maybe they had them all sold by Friday morning. Smaller dinghy to 20-something foot boats were in Bayside Park near the vendor tent, not in the water.

Definitely multi-hull heavy in our opinion; looking forward to Annapolis this year.
ecdhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 09:52   #22

Boat: Morgan 384, 38 ft

I just happened to be in Florida & got to go check out the Miami show yesterday.

I definitely prefer the Annapolis show, but this was still fun. I was looking for radar masts and found about 5 different vendors with on-site masts I could check out.

At the convention center there was a lot of relevant equipment exhibits. Also tons of fishing-related gear, boats, etc. and people walking around with lots of bling.

The boats in the water for sure were leaning toward multi hulls. I didn't mind that since although I have a monohull (which we love very much), I'm leaning toward multis too ;-) Some very nice boats. As usual, I think my favorite was the Antares, but I could easily be convinced to embrace a Gunboat if someone gave me one.
Old 16-02-2015, 19:57   #23

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Also:

A ton of inflatables

Small outboards

Small diesels

Diesel gensets

Windlasses

Winches

Sailboat hardware

ALL electronics

Refrigeration

And more! If you went to Strictly Sail and were looking for boating supplies the convention center was the place to be. It would be easy to spend a full day walking around the convention center where the vendors tent in the Strictly Sail part of the show could easily be done in less than an hour.

Now I am enlightened. Muchos gracias. Maybe the promoters should change the name to Strictly Accessories and have boats as a side item?
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 20:38   #24

Boat: Lagoon 420

I like the catamarans. Does the Annapolis show have as many cats as Miami or a major monohull focus?

We did Miami strictly sail about 5 years ago and looking to attend a show again so wondering if we should hit Annapolis this year.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 04:12   #25

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by krafthaus View Post
I like the catamarans. Does the Annapolis show have as many cats as Miami or a major monohull focus?

We did Miami strictly sail about 5 years ago and looking to attend a show again so wondering if we should hit Annapolis this year.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Annapolis has many cats. Very cool city.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 06:32   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

I've gone the past two years, and was regretting not this year. Looks like I may have been disappointed.

Too bad the major Annapolis show is in the fall (Canadian snowbird here, and only allowed 6 months in the States, plus cost of travel from Alberta). I assume the spring show is just a small sample as opposed to the fall one?
Old 21-02-2015, 06:49   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
For gear and equipment only, how the Miami boat show compares with Annapolis?
I lived in Annapolis for six years and Miami for three and went to both shows several times.

There is no doubt the Miami show is much bigger overall. But, I like the way Annapolis divides theirs up between power and sail better than the way Miami does it.

And, of course it's a lot easier to get around at the Annapolis show because it's all so close together. Problem is Annapolis isn't set up for mass visitors as well as Miami is. (I knew a lot of people in Annapolis who rented their houses out for the boat show and vacationed on the money they got for it.) Except for one time when I flew to the Miami show, I always lived at the locale so that wasn't an issue for me (I could literally walk to the Annapolis show from my house).

Except for the weather, though, I would much rather go to the Annapolis show any day.
Old 21-02-2015, 07:23   #28

I go to these things primarily for the seminars and vendors. Sure, I prowled the docks, but didn't look at many boats. The seminar tents were tiny, in comparison to other Strictly Sail events. And, most seminars I attended were only half full. But, it's quality and not quantity, I guess.

For future events, I'll stick to St. Pete and Annapolis.
Tetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 09:50   #29

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKsailsolo View Post
Now I am enlightened. Muchos gracias. Maybe the promoters should change the name to Strictly Accessories and have boats as a side item?
I think the show attendants are divided into equipment buyers/research, dreamers and boat buyers in this order.
I wish there were some statistics, but I think they sell a lot more equipment than boats on these shows.
For those that already have a boat which I think its a majority, they go to look for stuff and touch, discuss and feel something they want to buy. The main attraction are the palaces for sure, but how many do they actually sell?

I for one only go to look/buy equipment and walk the docks but don't board boats.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 11:07   #30

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

I had a friend that worked at Miami last year he said almost all the sail boats are sold by the first day. And the manufacture we were dealing with had already written up 4 the first day. I dont know about the power side or if that makes the shows worth it. I definitely see it for the vendors.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
miami, sail