Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2020, 17:10   #136

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17
Re: The BVI's, a word of caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
LOL.

I don’t like the way they’re enforcing their rules so I choose not to give them my money.
Good for you, I hope it makes you feel better,

Fair winds,
Old 01-12-2020, 17:14   #137

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegu Club View Post
Good for you, I hope it makes you feel better,

Fair winds,
Thank you.

And thanks for not taking a shot at my nationality.
Old 01-12-2020, 17:49   #138

Boat: Buccaneer 16ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
Thank you.

And thanks for not taking a shot at my nationality.
If I were you, I’d keep that a secret. Maybe pretend to be a Canadian for the next few years.
Old 01-12-2020, 18:05   #139

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Eh? *grin*
Old 01-12-2020, 19:11   #140
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Naw just force them to eat grits and biscuit
Well grits aren't bad if you cover them with enough butter, salt, pepper, and your favorite hot sauce. And my wife bakes a homemade, whole wheat biscuit that is just marvelous.
Old 01-12-2020, 19:13   #141

Why I don't participate in these forums very often is sarcastic and rude comments like this. It would be nice if there could be mutual respect for others' opinions and honest debate. Why not give it a try? If enough people wrote the authorities to ask for a measured approach to cruisers wandering into their waters, and they could see how their treatment of these sailors might cost them dearly in the future, maybe they would consider softening their approach. A boat passing through is not a threat even if loaded with Covid patients. Their approach is draconian. I'm only advocating a warning for first offense.
Old 01-12-2020, 21:45   #142

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by karkauai View Post
Why I don't participate in these forums very often is sarcastic and rude comments like this.
If it is my comment you are replying to I am sorry you have no sense of humour.

Quote:
It would be nice if there could be mutual respect for others' opinions and honest debate. Why not give it a try?
It would be nice if there could be respect for other countries rules and borders
Why not give it a try?

Quote:
If enough people wrote the authorities to ask for a measured approach to cruisers wandering into their waters, and they could see how their treatment of these sailors might cost them dearly in the future, maybe they would consider softening their approach. A boat passing through is not a threat even if loaded with Covid patients. Their approach is draconian. I'm only advocating a warning for first offense.
Their country
Their rules

Stop trying to force your ways and thoughts onto others.
Old 01-12-2020, 22:56   #143
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
The BVI's, a word of caution

Quote:
Why I don't participate in these forums very often is sarcastic and rude comments like this. It would be nice if there could be mutual respect for others' opinions and honest debate. Why not give it a try? If enough people wrote the authorities to ask for a measured approach to cruisers wandering into their waters, and they could see how their treatment of these sailors might cost them dearly in the future, maybe they would consider softening their approach. A boat passing through is not a threat even if loaded with Covid patients. Their approach is draconian. I'm only advocating a warning for first offense.

Do you actually know the precise circumstance of the two boats fined. I understand several have been simply warned and that these were not on innocent passage

I would also suggest that it’s not to the relevant authorities to determine what risk Covid presents to a country rather then your opinion
Old 02-12-2020, 04:39   #144

Quote:
People who feel the country is well within it's rights (how someone can argue against this is beyond me but that's another story) should feel free to share their contrasting views with you.

The entire world is in the midst of a deadly pandemic yet some people are out there yelling about "me, my rights and my freedoms trump whatever you and your poor country want. you need my money!!!!!!".

Perhaps it's time to take a long hard look in the mirror to tell yourself that a country is doing what it feels is right to protect it's citizens and that is perfectly okay!!!
Old 02-12-2020, 04:45   #145
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
... The rangers will gladly put you up at the ....
... the restrooms at Logan Pass.

Old 02-12-2020, 08:34   #146

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateral Hazard View Post
This may have been mentioned but in doing a bit of research it seems one of the boats that have been fined were all trying to get to Road Town and were followed from Frenchmans Cay.
IIRC one of the issues with allowing Americans transit to Alaska (by land or by sea) was that the privilege became used as a cover story to do some touristing in Canada.

Get enough people thinking "it's worth a try, what's the worst that can happen, and if caught just tell them you're passing through", and you'll have a lot more than just a few making the attempt. If this is what happened I'm not surprised the hammer was dropped, pour encourager les autres.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:40   #147
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

OK, so here are the latest FACTS! The four appeared before the magistrate, yesterday, and plead guilty. When questioned, the captain said they were "just sailing around". He confirmed he knew the borders, but said they had not touched land. A case of costly ignorance, and not "innocent passage", at all. As I had predicted, the fine was greatly reduced from the $20,000. Each person was fined $1000.

As a side note, I don't know the hotel in which they were quarantined, but have many friends who have gone through the process. Every hotel used, that I know of, has been one that tourists here will know of and use. Some of them are pretty spiffy. Remember, those of us who work here, but were out of the Territory at the start of the lockdown, or left during it, has had to quarantine in the same places, and, without exception, have said it was fine. These are hotels like Maria's and Sugarmill, and so forth. NOT dumps. Cockroaches were mentioned. It's the tropics and they may be encountered anywhere. Same in Florida, or the whole East Coast in summer.

In summary, I would say that someone was exaggerating, either to deflect blame, or maybe the media wanted a "better" story. But, these are the facts. And, of course, the entitled jumped all over it.

On another note, yesterday we received our first tourists and charter guests. It was not all smooth sailing, but most seemed happy. They spent last night in their boats, on the docks, under strict quarantine. One group was here at the marina, and was briefed, the last time at 8PM, by a very good charter fleet, and reminded not to get off the boat for any circumstances. Quarantine, remember? In the morning, the woman (sadly, but predictably American) was observed, gear in hand, headed for the beach.

So, when you are complaining about protocols, and why things are so strict, just think about that, for a bit. That's obviously more than she did.....think that makes people more welcoming? For that company, one out of one charter boat breached quarantine.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:50   #148

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
OK, so here are the latest FACTS
Thank you. Much as expected, at least by some of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
On another note, yesterday we received our first tourists and charter guests. It was not all smooth sailing, but most seemed happy. They spent last night in their boats, on the docks, under strict quarantine. One group was here at the marina, and was briefed, the last time at 8PM, by a very good charter fleet, and reminded not to get off the boat for any circumstances. Quarantine, remember? In the morning, the woman (sadly, but predictably American) was observed, gear in hand, headed for the beach.
The Ugly American is often close to the surface. The pandemic seems to have brought it out in many of us in all its odiousness.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:01   #149

Boat: Formosa 41

Is it OK to not like something the government does?

Asking for a friend.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:11   #150

Attachment 228024
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
... the restrooms at Logan Pass.

Gord,

Thanks for sharing that image. Indeed still early in the season, the snow can get to be about 40 feet deep at the visitor's center at Logan by early Spring.

Yesterday, headed home driving down Polson hill and looking north across the 30 mile length of Flathead Lake up towards Glacier National Park and the distant Logan Pass, there was the clearest view I have ever seen of the Glacier Park's snow covered range about 75 miles away. The sun was in an evening angle, imposing a bright alpine glow just on that portion the National Park's range, lighting them up spectacularly, wherein the nearer Swan and Mission Mountain ranges along the lakeside remained in the shadows of cloud cover. When the sun highlights a specific portion of our mountain ranges, one sees that part in an entirely new way.

Here are some images of the western entrance to Glacier; of Lake McDonald, the Going to the Sun Road and Logan Pass. And the last few are of my primary hometown of Polson, the County seat and largest town on the Flathead Lake with views of the Mission Mountain range just a few miles outside of town forming the east shore of the lake. As one can see in the photo of the colorful rocks taken through thin the thin ice on the lake, the water is exceptionally clear [and cold in the late spring, early summer, say like 42 Fahrenheit], makes for a bit of a chilly but refreshing dip, but late in the summer the surface can become pleasant.

During our summer months, we enjoy bringing one of our smaller trailerable sailboats to Glacier to explore the uncrowded alpine lakes and leave the larger sailboat in the marina on Flathead Lake. Whereas a winter, without Covid, finds time for a trip to tropical climates, or further south, such as New Zealand, preferably spending a portion of the time chartering a yacht.

All the best, from The Last Best Place, 406 Country.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Going to the Sun.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	228014   Click image for larger version

Name:	Going to the Sun2.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	358.1 KB
ID:	228015  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Going to the Sun3.jpg