Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2016, 19:44   #61

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: Unbridled Stupidity and the Viking Longship

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Actually the math is quite good if you know its origins ... Queen Anne seized all British Harbours which were at the time privately owned by the aristocracy. The government then had to figure a way to charge (tax) the use of the harbours. One of the most common imprts into Britain at the time were "tuns" of port wine. A tuns is a size of cask. The government in their wisdom decided that ships should be charge harbour fees based on how many "tuns" of port wine they could carry hence the deductions for contra (cooking, machinery, steering gear, crew sleeping quarters etc.). Of course "tunnage" became bastardized over the years to "tonnage". Now as to the 64 shares, that too adds up. Ships profits were one divided by so many shares for the ship, so many for the owners, the captain and shares for the crew, the total shares added up to 64.

All quite logical for politicians

I agree the math mostly works except for joint ownership from what I understand the queen "owns" the remaining 36 shares for a total of 100. except that TC insists that my wife and I each own 64 shares in our vessel. they made me correct my application to reflect this! in regualr math 64+64 = 128. seems for TC 64+64 = 64 lol!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 19:52   #62
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Weird TC has some contradictions. on the application for registry form1 they specifically list the length as: "The Length of your vessel is the distance measured from the outside of the forward end(a) to the outside of the aft end (b) of the hull shell..." from Form1 of vessel registration. Again no mention of rudder post so the registered length equals the LOA
Up until 2006 all tonnage measurements had to be done by an Appointed Tonnage Measurer. the government realized this was a silly unecessary expense for pleasurecraft and changed the rules to permit the layman to do his own "Simplified Measurement" for vessels up to 15m LOA. This is a very different method (again, not available on line) than that required for vessels exceeding that length and this is where stem to rudder post comes into play. Ships are still to this day charged harbour fees based on cargo capacity. So all vessels over 15m are deemed to have a capacity for cargo between stem and rudder post (and a few other dimensions, restrictions and limitations). Had enough yet ? I can go on all night with this stuff
Old 13-07-2016, 20:09   #63
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
I agree the math mostly works except for joint ownership from what I understand the queen "owns" the remaining 36 shares for a total of 100. except that TC insists that my wife and I each own 64 shares in our vessel. they made me correct my application to reflect this! in regualr math 64+64 = 128. seems for TC 64+64 = 64 lol!
Not quite, there are only 64 shares in total, the queen owns nothing but does have the legal right to commandeer a British vessel. think of the 64 shares like you and your wife owning the house under joint tenancy ...you both own it equally no matter how many shares there are.

All Canadian vessels were British registered until the repatriation of the BNA in 1971 (the only good thing Pierre ever did) even though the act was not actually sanctioned by parliament until 1982 (?) ) and the Queen could up to that time commandeer Canadian vessels but not after that date.
I warned you, I can go on all night
Old 13-07-2016, 21:16   #64

Boat: Formosa 41

Sounds like the concept of jointly and severally, which is how Mrs. Flare and I own our real estate.

We each own the entire property together but if one of us passes the person remaining owns the entire property.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 22:01   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
the repatriation of the BNA in 1971 (the only good thing Pierre ever did)
he did give us Justin....

Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 23:03   #66

Boat: Vagabond 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
BEWARE

That Norwegian vessel is only pretending to part take in the Tall Ships. They actually came to America to steal some of your fat women. As if there was not enough wood in Norway. OMG ;-)

Seals, I mean.

b.

They can have all the fat women they want... and they can start with Rosie O'Donnel.
(If that doesn't make them turn around immediately, they deserve what they get)
TurninTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 06:15   #67

Boat: Pearson 34-II

As of this morning, only 114 signatures are needed to reach 10,000 signatures to petition the USCG to override their earlier decision to require a coast pilot for Viking longship Draken Harald Hafargre to continue its journey through the Great Lakes. Please go to the following site to help this cause. Good luck and safe sailing.
https://www.change.org/.../rear-admi...m-great-lakes-...
Old 14-07-2016, 06:37   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Seems to me that the quickest, simplest solution is for the Norwegian ambassador in Washington to awake from his nap and call the White house and complain. At this point in his term President Obama would probably be delighted to have somebody he could make happy at such small cost.
Things like this are what ambassadors are for.

I'm astonished it hasn't happened yet, you get to be the Hero, get some publicity, for a Politician what's the downside?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 07:08   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
BEWARE

That Norwegian vessel is only pretending to part take in the Tall Ships. They actually came to America to steal some of your fat women. As if there was not enough wood in Norway. OMG ;-)

Seals, I mean.
Hey, aren't Vikings on the list of terrorist organizations?
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 07:13   #70

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

When the Bounty came to Victoria BC needing ( determined by tonnage) a pilot my friend,newly retired from the authority, volunteered his time to sail her from Port A . Had a blast and I got to donate black powder for her cannons as her own supply had been seized by yet another rule. Could it be that there is another qualified individual adventurer on the east coast?
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 10:41   #71
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

crap i cannot sign it from mexico.. damnhellenshit.
bureaucracy sucks. too bad they couldnt just have been able to pay a small mordida and go on their way. or have been waived thru as they are a low budgeted learning device.
and what topmast said.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 17:45   #72

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Tonnage measurement length: The length of the vessel measured horizontally (parallel to the designed waterline) from the fore side of the forward most fixed structure to the aft side of the aftermost fixed permenent structure excluding appendeges that do not contribute to the volume of the vessel. see figures 1(a) and 1(b) see overleaf (as read directly from the measurement form)
Quote:
Weird TC has some contradictions. on the application for registry form1 they specifically list the length as: "The Length of your vessel is the distance measured from the outside of the forward end(a) to the outside of the aft end (b) of the hull shell..."
The rudder would be an appendage that does not contribute to the volume of the vessel. Where the rudder is forward of the transom as in most newer boats, it would not make a difference, but in a transom-hung fashion it would; the "hull shell" is also exclusive of stuff that hangs off the transom.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 17:59   #73

Boat: Vagabond 14

Also means they shouldn't be including the figurehead or "decorative" tail, thus the earlier suggestion of altering them is moot.
TurninTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 18:22   #74

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

The ultimate question is how many guns is she lucensed to carry? This is based on the tonnage measurement as certified by the Bureau Veritas tonnage surveyor.
What a load of crap! This is one of the major reasons I have left the sea, walked inland with an oar over my shoulder until someone stopped me and asked, 'what the hell is that? That is where I stayed.
The beaucrats have their heads up their fundamental oriface and should be shot!
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 18:32   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
This is one of the major reasons I have left the sea, walked inland with an oar over my shoulder until someone stopped me and asked, 'what the hell is that? That is where I stayed.
Heh. Walked to Stateline and decided to stay? Picking a winner every day?
fryewe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bridle