Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2018, 08:16   #16

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot
Re: Warning! Boat seizures reported in Mexico

I have a boat in San Carlos. Couldn’t be happier with services or nature of the people. I have no problem with obeying civil law. Render unto Ceasar ...
Old 19-07-2018, 08:16   #17

Boat: In Between Vessels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy2006 View Post
Greetings fellow waterbabies.....

the captain/owner had entered Mexican waters on a tourist visa and was actually working in Mexico for payment as a charter captain or some sort of instructor, and without any legal permission to be doing so...

As for the second event, we know the vessel has been seized but what the captain's/skipper's status is we're not sure. Any information you could share regarding this would be most appreciated.

...there has been a paradigm shift in Mexico's level of tolerance of expats providing services for payment while on a tourist visa...

Fair winds and following seas.

Not sure what the problem is here. You answered yourself. Mexico lowered their tolerance of accepting stupid Gringos taking advantage. I don't see an issue. I see stupid people doing stupid things and then crying foul when it doesn't work out. Simple equation.
Old 19-07-2018, 08:25   #18

Boat: GibSea 472

It happens everywhere. On Lake Champlain, where many Canadian sail, something new had been occuring since this summer: Canadian surveyors are forbiden to enter in USA to survey Canadian registered boat there. probably 80% of the vesels plying the beautifull Lake are Canadian, and marinas provide maintenance services, docking, storing etc. Canadian Insurances compagnies can't send their own affiliated surveyors to fix claims. I Believe that in parts of Europe there are also little administrative snafus of the same nature. Que voulez Vous! That life for zealous officers protecting the job of each contry...
Old 19-07-2018, 08:33   #19

Boat: Union cutter 33

Now who in their right mind would think it’s ok to break laws in a country like Mexico and think it’s ok because they haven t been bothered before really a little common sense in canada weed is almost legal but when we enter USA I make sure nobody has any on them and boat has been cleaned and scrubbed down from the night before party we take no chances and obey all countries laws so issues don’t arise
Old 19-07-2018, 08:37   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosatte View Post
Now who in their right mind would think it’s ok to break laws in a country like Mexico and think it’s ok because they haven t been bothered before really a little common sense in canada weed is almost legal but when we enter USA I make sure nobody has any on them and boat has been cleaned and scrubbed down from the night before party we take no chances and obey all countries laws so issues don’t arise

Exactly! Operative words there are "Common Sense." When my kids were little I used to tell them..."boys, there are two kinds of people in the world, 1. those who 'get it,' and 2. those who don't."
Old 19-07-2018, 08:38   #21

Boat: Windward Marine Searaker 50

They didn't grease the right people. I've run tour operations down in Mexico in the past on a tourist visa and from time to time anything can happen. Benjamins can usually fix/prevent it.
Old 19-07-2018, 08:40   #22

Boat: Boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
I don't think anybody was complaining nor do I see the absolute requirement for this to turn into a political discussion. The OP simply said 'hey, watch out if you are doing stuff that you shouldn't be doing - it used to be reasonably ok but there is good reason to believe it might no longer be ok'
Sounds like what some other country stated doing recently ;-)

(There ya go, took it political)
Old 19-07-2018, 08:42   #23

Boat: Endeavour 40CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjinhb View Post
Exactly! Operative words there are "Common Sense." .When my kids were little I used to tell them.."boys, there are two kinds of people in the world, 1. those who 'get it,' and 2. those who don't."

HAHAHA the way this thread was going I was reading VERY fast and the first thing I read in your post was..."When my kids were little I used to SELL them".
Old 19-07-2018, 08:43   #24

Boat: Kelly Peterson 46

I also have no issue with the authorities enforcing published and obvious laws. That said, the title of this thread is extremely misleading.....
Old 19-07-2018, 08:45   #25

Boat: 1988 48' Offshore

The US won't let you take passengers out for hire without having a Captain's License either - even if you're a US citizen. They don't confiscate your boat, though!

There are literally thousands of things you can't legally do without the proper license, certificate, or degree. But don't get me started on that......!
Old 19-07-2018, 08:50   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonotto View Post
HAHAHA the way this thread was going I was reading VERY fast and the first thing I read in your post was..."When my kids were little I used to SELL them".

Oh, there were times....lol.
Old 19-07-2018, 09:01   #27

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

It seemed to me that the initial letter was no more than a warning.
Old 19-07-2018, 09:09   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherchronica View Post
It seemed to me that the initial letter was no more than a warning.

Understood. And I think the climate of the responses have been, "ya, so what's your point?" It's on the level of "Warning, someone broke the law and endured consequences." Post something obvious, prepare....
Old 19-07-2018, 09:11   #29

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

Swampy2006,

First post on here deary? Personally... I would rather believe Chicken Little.

Did you run out of things to do at the home? Or is bingo night over and you are bored??

We have been cruising Mexico for years. We are in Mexico as I write this. It is a great place with wonderful people. Follow the rules and have a great adventure.

Why do I get this picture in my head of a squirrelly little guy in a trench coat going pssst?

Old 19-07-2018, 09:16   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Sailfish View Post
Swampy2006,

First post on here deary? Personally... I would rather believe Chicken Little.

Did you run out of things to do at the home? Or is bingo night over and you are bored??

We have been cruising Mexico for years. We are in Mexico as I write this. It is a great place with wonderful people. Follow the rules and have a great adventure.

Why do I get this picture in my head of a squirrelly little guy in a trench coat going pssst?

Agree. Granted, I've not been south for several years, and certainly the political climate has adjusted, but still, I've spent plenty of time there and the only time I had problems was when I got stupid (Tequila / Rum) and stretched the envelope.
Closed Thread

Tags
boat, Mexico