Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2018, 11:43   #106

Boat: Goderich 35 steel cutter rig
Re: Warning! Boat seizures reported in Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
The problem with moralizing is that not everyone has your perspective.

I think you need to actually live poorly in a poor country, before you have the right to criticise their "get what you can get" philosophy.

Feeding their family comes first and if a foreigner who services tourists, helps them to achieve that........
Then gratitude, not shame is what those less morally endowed, tend to feel.
You have lived poorly in a poor country?
If so then you would understand that a person with ethics who has to stoop to bending his own ethics develops resentment rather than gratitude. If it serves helping your moral compass believing that then happy sailing.
Old 27-07-2018, 12:55   #107
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggedglory View Post
If so then you would understand that a person with ethics who has to stoop to bending his own ethics develops resentment rather than gratitude. If it serves helping your moral compass believing that then happy sailing.
the major issue with this thought process is that the foreigner wishing to feed his family pads bills and has no accountability.
locals donot go anywhere and rely on the accountability for repeat business.
shafting the client is the habit of gringos and those who learned the gringo ways. no mores no accountability. oopsy, support your local in country workers. they are fast learners and are not deported mid job, as are gringos without proper paperworks. yep i do know folks who were deported from mexico back to usa due to paperwork issues--no working papers. isnot a favorable process and once out, no return. oopsy.
it behooves all to follow laws, especially now with antiamerican chavista president coming into office at decembers end. he promised mexicans he would strengthen the northern border.
200 peso is daily is nothing. at 19.5 to 1 usd, things are not like home are they.....
i live well here on no money, which is about equal to the workers income, approx 200 pesos daily. ssdi does not a wealthy soul make.
Old 27-07-2018, 13:55   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
Really? You’re complaining about people that are guests in another country, breaking their laws, and being punished? Don’t break the laws!
I didn't read that OP as being a complaint. Rather, a head-up that their tolerance, understandably, has run out.
Old 27-07-2018, 13:56   #109

Hope the other Captain is okay and returns home safely. What some don't realize is participating in illegal activities, committing crimes in another country is no joke! No matter how minor, insignificant or rarely enforced some believe their laws may seem, they are in place for a reason. I will keep the Captain in prayer for his safe return home and hope you hear something soon.
Old 27-07-2018, 14:29   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoodbye View Post
They didn't grease the right people. I've run tour operations down in Mexico in the past on a tourist visa and from time to time anything can happen. Benjamins can usually fix/prevent it.
The operative phrase is "have run". It seems that that is no longer tolerated. I wonder what the Mexicans have against the USA ! Interference, hostility and the arrogant belief that a bribe can fix anything.
Old 27-07-2018, 14:47   #111
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggedglory View Post
Yes, as the son of an injured coal miner in a depressed part of Scotland, we had to scavage thru the harvested fields for potatoes not too rotten, steal coal to burn in Winter, fruits in the Sumner and I personally endured prejudice against me at higher grades, because of our families poor situation

I went to bed many times cold, angry and hungry .

So yes, that did affect the pragmatism of my ethics and if our family had not successfully immigrated to Canada, I may have ended up a criminal!

I now live in the Philippines and like Zee, I can live comfortably on my savings and hire Filipinos to ilegally help me with my boat.
These wonderful people suffer from the same corupt mindset as in Mexico and even more so, depend on direct foreign investment to feed their overwhelmingly Catholic and burgeoning population.

So my ethics have not bent and my moral compass is drawn more towards the pragmatism of the situation, rather than an elitist judgement of the rule of law.
Old 27-07-2018, 15:20   #112
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Guys
Moved away from boats to political...

Closed.
Closed Thread

Tags
boat, Mexico