Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2021, 06:30   #46

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40
Re: Who was Christopher Columbus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
the biggest fallacy of them all....

CC discovered America....ha ha ha ha...he never set foot on this continent..
Well, actually he probably did.
On his 3rd voyage he ventured to the mouth of the Orinoco, and because of the riverine flow of water, realized he was on a continent. It is believed he went ashore at some point here. But he thought the South America he saw was Asia. He further coasted along the Gulf of Paria where he “ collected” pearls.
On his 4th voyage, he sailed the coasts of present-day Nicaragua, Honduras, Costa Rica and Panama. He ventured up rivers in those areas seeking a passage, at one point only 32 miles from the Pacific Ocean. Did he go ashore? Maybe, maybe not. But he certainly saw the tail of the North American continent.
The word “discovered” means different things to different people. The New World certainly wasn’t “ lost”, particularly to its inhabitants. But in the sense that his accidental encounter of it brought it to the ineradicable attention of European consciousness, (even though he may not have been first) his efforts unquestionably initiated the bi-directional stream of influence, power, disease, and everything else that persists to this day.
Old 07-01-2021, 07:59   #47

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Quote:
Other times, he sent attack dogs to hunt them down, and dogs ripped out the arms and legs of the screaming native people while they were still alive.
All true!
Few know the dark history of the French Poodle, which is the breed Columbus used to terrorize the native peoples.
Despite the innocuous look, and even when they're adorned with pink ribbons and painted toenails, these vicious creatures have the jaw power of ten crocodiles combined, not to mention the rippling muscles and sheer tearing force of their limbs.
These were seafaring dogs with a reputation surpassing all other breeds of being the cruelest and most bloodthirsty of killers.
Feel free to quote me.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 11:55   #48

Just to stir the pot, or add to the fire, that Columbus was not the first European to find The New World....

Which European "country" first discovered The New World?

And to paraphrase A Christmas Story...

It, it, it was...

The Irish.

https://www.irishcentral.com/roots/h...opher-columbus

ARCHEOMYSTERE

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 13:55   #49

The “ Who discovered America” controversy is as old as...Columbus. Could have been Madoc...or Phoenicians...or Polynesians...or Breton fisherman..or St. Brendan....or the Red Paint people.....and most certainly the Vikings. I have always thought that the more the likely candidates there were just enhanced Columbus’ encounter. All those other guys that may who have found it did little to nothing with their knowledge. Columbus was smart enough to get royal sponsorship and made something of the information.
Old 07-01-2021, 14:05   #50

Boat: Bateau FS17

So you are saying he was doing it before youtube and pateron but still accomplishing the same thing?
Narfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 07:20   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyrouse View Post
The “ Who discovered America” controversy is as old as...Columbus. Could have been Madoc...or Phoenicians...or Polynesians...or Breton fisherman..or St. Brendan....or the Red Paint people.....and most certainly the Vikings. I have always thought that the more the likely candidates there were just enhanced Columbus’ encounter. All those other guys that may who have found it did little to nothing with their knowledge. Columbus was smart enough to get royal sponsorship and made something of the information.
Yep, Columbus gets the prize because nobody before him really did anything with the information. Not sure they really COULD do anything with the knowledge. To put it another way, Columbus was the first to file a patent and make a product. The other people from the EU who "discovered" the New World did not even file a patent.

The funny thing is that is that I was searching for something completely different than the Irish discovering the New World. I had heard of St. Brendan but the stuff I posted was new to me.

Because of what I randomly walked into, I went reading about which peoples might have found/washed up in various places. There is DNA evidence of Polynesian genetics in South America for instance. People from somewhere, most likely Greenland, have washed up in Norway and Galway Ireland. Columbus is supposed to have seen the body and boat in Galway. Japanese ships/boats have washed up in various places in the Pacific North West, I think it was in the early 1800s when it was documented, but of course it could have happened in the past.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 07:33   #52

It would be hard to imagine random isolated encounters NOT occurring in the 5,000- plus years of seafaring before Columbus. Even though the Norse established a well-documented but failed settlement at L’Anse Aux Meadows in Newfoundland the lack of recurring communication prevented further colonization and it was effectively forgotten and unexploited. Columbus’ motives- economic, religious, political, cultural, and personal- are undoubtedly suspect from our perspective 5 centuries later. But good or bad, he did it when no one else could or would.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:59   #53

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bligh View Post
Would I be remiss if i said Columbus treated the natives no worse than the ruling Aztect treated their own?
Yep, that makes it all good.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:01   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
the biggest fallacy of them all....

CC discovered America....ha ha ha ha...he never set foot on this continent..
True, is that rubbish still taught in USA schools?
Old 08-01-2021, 08:05   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Au contraire! On his 4th voyage he cruised the Nonth American Coast from Panama thru Nicagagua and Honduras and landed 4 times. Info from "Admiral of the Ocean Seas" by US Admiral Morrison , Historian of the US Navy.
The fallacy I believe he is referring to is what used to be, still is?, taught in USA schools that Colombus discovered "America" (meaning the USA, not the "Americas").
Old 08-01-2021, 08:17   #56
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

correct.....

though I wonder how one " discovers" a place only to find people already living there ???

back in the day, this pursuit of discovery was not particularly aimed at finding new cultures, people's, etc...no, it was the pursuit of wealth....gold....etc..and if a few people had to annihilated in the process..ah well, that's just business..

not much has changed since those days...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 11:11   #57

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Isn't Columbus the sailor/navigator who postulated an idea contrary to accepted belief at the time, and successfully crossed an ocean and started mapping previously uncharted waters and lands?

MicHughV - it is my understanding that discovery occurs when something previously unknown to "modern" society is found and entered into historical written records.

The indigenous tribes on the continent of north America and many of the islands had no written language and thus there is no historical record or no known preexisting maps of the coastlines of the Americas. Thus, to the "modern" 15th century society who had no knowledge of the Americas prior to Columbus bumping into the Americas in search of routes to Asia was a discovery.

Today, modern scientists are "discovering" new species of animals every year, but the indigenous peoples where these species are "found" say..."oh yeah, we know about those critters, now go back to where you came from and leave us alone."

So, you're probably right...not much has changed.
Old 09-01-2021, 06:57   #58

Boat: Sabre 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
All true!
Few know the dark history of the French Poodle, which is the breed Columbus used to terrorize the native peoples.
Despite the innocuous look, and even when they're adorned with pink ribbons and painted toenails, these vicious creatures have the jaw power of ten crocodiles combined, not to mention the rippling muscles and sheer tearing force of their limbs.
These were seafaring dogs with a reputation surpassing all other breeds of being the cruelest and most bloodthirsty of killers.
Feel free to quote me.

Forget the history of the poodle. My French friends use their specially bred toy poodles to hunt hippopotamuses in Africa. One dog will go into the water and drag the beast over to the bank where my friends use the baguette and cheese knives to gut the hippo while it is still alive.
If you've never tasted hippo meat. Don't.
Old 21-01-2021, 21:53   #59
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Catamaran
Talking Re: Who was Christopher Columbus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Interesting theory... I suppose we'll have to wait another year to find out!!

https://www.bbc.com/reel/video/p08jg...opher-columbus
A true explorer and intrepid navigator that was willing to risk everything (for whatever reason), he found more than what he bargained for.
Andre Robles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 04:49   #60

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I suppose it comes from the "publish or perish" mentality. You have to publish something. You don't want to say, "I'm going to hash over the same crap that has been hashed over a hundred times before." So instead you pretend like you're revealing some great secret that no one has ever talked about.

It really is pretty absurd.
Yup, and that comes from the origins of a PhD = you have to discover something new. Well that something new gets wierder and weirder as time goes on, cuz all the normal things have already been said on subjects like history.

The social sciences in todays university environment are a load of bullcrap, more like medieval discussions of how many angels can dance on the head of a pin than any serious intellectual endeavour.
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote