Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2009, 21:50   #136
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
"Dear parent,

It is perfectly aceptable for you to allow, instruct, force your child into any endeavor you see fit as a parent. This is your right as a parent.

We would like to inform you that should your child, that is the person of minority age that you are legally liable for causes harm, damage or loss to any other person, we will hold you liable as if, in fact you were the person engaged in the activity.

Dear Sponsor,

It is perfectly acceptable for you to sponsor records, achievements and events as part of your media strategy. At times you may sponsor events conducted by persons that are legally minors.

As the enabler of many events, done for the purpose of advertising, visibility and profit, we would like to inform you that should your sponsoree, that is the person of minority age, causes harm, damage or loss to any other person, we will hold you liable as if, in fact you were the entity engaged in the activity.

Signed,

Big Government"

Now let's watch the sponsorship money disappear.

BTW - You think there is any sponsor on this boat that thinks the collision is a bad thing? Look how many pictures are circulating the internet. Ad money well spent!
Old 14-09-2009, 22:45   #137
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
"Dear parent,

It is perfectly aceptable for you to allow, instruct, force your child into any endeavor you see fit as a parent. This is your right as a parent.
No it isnt if the child is over 16. In fact its against the law. (In Queensland) Its also morally reprehensible to do think that a parent has that absolute right.

Quote:
We would like to inform you that should your child, that is the person of minority age that you are legally liable for causes harm, damage or loss to any other person, we will hold you liable as if, in fact you were the person engaged in the activity.
Quote:
Dear Sponsor,
.....we would like to inform you that should your sponsoree, that is the person of minority age, causes harm, damage or loss to any other person, we will hold you liable as if, in fact you were the entity engaged in the activity.
Again - not enforceable and not likely to be constitutionally valid if the government tried to legislate to go down that path.
Old 15-09-2009, 15:40   #138
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
rule 9 and rule of gross tonnage--those who donot have it best beware and relocate prior to death as they will not win in court battles...LOL....sorry about not backing the lovely jessy babe but that is life. must watch out for those not able to maneuver or die or whatever happens and IS your own fault for being in wrong place at the same time as them. who so ever shall ignore gross tonnage deserves that which overcomes and overpowers them. keep a good watch and avoid collisions.
Old 15-09-2009, 17:46   #139

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
"Dear parent,

Dear Sponsor,

It is perfectly acceptable for you to sponsor records, achievements and events as part of your media strategy. At times you may sponsor events conducted by persons that are legally minors.

As the enabler of many events, done for the purpose of advertising, visibility and profit, we would like to inform you that should your sponsoree, that is the person of minority age, causes harm, damage or loss to any other person, we will hold you liable as if, in fact you were the entity engaged in the activity.

Signed,

Big Government"

Now let's watch the sponsorship money disappear.

BTW - You think there is any sponsor on this boat that thinks the collision is a bad thing? Look how many pictures are circulating the internet. Ad money well spent!
Too bad simple language can't replace "Legalese".

Great idea though.

It is obviously more of a stunt than passion.
Old 15-09-2009, 18:09   #140
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
On her latest blog entry (one wonders why I would read it!) she states:

Quote:
we’ve been discovering all sorts of unexpected things that did survive like the Hella navigation lights that worked perfectly despite a direct hit!
Now, as a normal sailor who has found the ground, had a few berthing problems in marinas and avoided the odd ship (like the one in Indonesia last week that altered course towards me 3 times!) I find I have never actually bumped anything head on. I at least try to miss the bloody object. A nice side swipe here and there, maybe, but no pulpit damage and totally intact nav lights.

And this kitten gloats about it!?

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 15-09-2009, 18:39   #141

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
(like the one in Indonesia last week that altered course towards me 3 times!)

Mark
How did you make it?
To what do you attribute that action?
Old 15-09-2009, 19:01   #142
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
How did you make it?
To what do you attribute that action?
We had left a port, Kumai, and about 9 miles outside there is a natural waypoint bounded by a rock about 1/2 mile to starboard.
I had watched this passenger ferry/ship for about 20 minutes coming from Kumai, behind us. We had kept more mid channel so were moving more to starboard than he was. I could clearly see the land background behind him so I saw we were going ahead of him.
A tug was comeing into port and coming round the waypoint too.
I could hear both on the VHF.
The white ship (Borneo to Java ferry) then deviated to starboard so he was coming at us again... then did it twice more... then sped up to get in front of us! He was defitly going to hit so at about 100 meters I tacked to port. The passengers were all waving etc from very close.
I rang the captain on the VHF and waved at him.

Though he didn't understand English he understood the words

So if this is what happens in daylight, by a passenger ship, with passengers watching and a tug boat and other anchored ships watching, then people should be quite aware that ships do not give a rats bum about sail boats in some countries.

It was a lesson well learned.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 15-09-2009, 20:18   #143

Dayummm
Old 16-09-2009, 05:49   #144

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Quote:

---I find I have never actually bumped anything head on---

Mark
Mark, assumptions can often cause problems. You, for instance, seem to assume that she ran head first into the freighter. I, on the other hand, assume that she was referring to the mast head tri-color hitting the side of the freighter when the mast came down.
At least one of us is wrong.
Old 16-09-2009, 06:42   #145

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
If you take the time to look at the photos of her sailboat you will see the damage done by the collision.
JESSICA WATSON YACHT CRASH | Stock Photography Photo Gallery Stock Image | Stock Photo AAP Image Australia
- - Conjecturing about damage from 13th or 14th hand comments by previous posters in this thread when the actual photos are available does not keep the thread "on track" to the real discussion - which IMHO is - why did the collision happen?
- - It is well established that she is an "adult" as far has her home country regulations about boating are concerned. Whether she is competent to undertake such an endeavor is certainly up for discussion. And by the mere fact that she was involved in a collision on her first day out - on a "trial run" - not the real record attempt - IMHO demonstrates that she is not competent / ready to undertake this type of journey, now. She needs more experience in open water long distance sailing around the clock. She also does not seem to know how to use the equipment on her boat for navigational and safety purposes. She stated she turned on the radar, but obviously never looked at it or set any guard zones. The freighter would have showed up on the radar a good 30 minutes before the collision.
- - Some have suggested and I agree with them that she was too fatigued by the previous activities on shore to last through the night without falling asleep. Fatigue kills a lot of people on the water and in the air and almost all of them are of adult age. It is obviously to me, anyway, that she was was asleep until just before the collision and was not "awake" enough to take proper actions to avoid a collision. And that strongly suggests that she was not properly schooled in navigation, watch keeping and dealing with fatigue. Regardless of her age, she or her parents or instructors failed to educate/train her sufficiently for this endeavor. Regardless of age, the fact of the collision shows she violated a whole raft of COLREG's and the authorities are going to either have to come down hard on her or do some fancy footwork to try to hide/sweep it under the table.
- - And FSMike is correct the only navigation lights are atop the mast as clearly shown in the photos.
Old 16-09-2009, 07:48   #146
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
21 pictures here
Jessica Watson | Ella's Pink Lady | sailing | solo | Jessica Watson crashes on day one of global quest

Old 16-09-2009, 07:55   #147
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
the factor involving her being below decks when hit seems to be a big one--she needs to learn how to keep a watch and how to sleep in the cockpit instead of below decks. mommy and daddy must be made of money as she has no concept of it.....oh well......rule of gross tonnage--how will she and her parents make this fault of hers become someone elses???????/
Old 16-09-2009, 08:10   #148

Boat: Privilege 37
I am glad to see that the repairers appear to have made a decent job of looking at the damage and recognising that structural repairs may be needed.

It would have been so easy to just fling a new mast and rigging on, touch up the paint and adverts, and send her on her way.
Old 16-09-2009, 08:16   #149
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
On her latest blog entry (one wonders why I would read it!) she states:

Quote:
we’ve been discovering all sorts of unexpected things that did survive like the Hella navigation lights that worked perfectly despite a direct hit!
Mark
She's learned rule number one. Anytime someone sticks a microphone in your face mention favorably a sponsor or someone you'd like to be a sponsor.

(full cynic mode on...)
Old 16-09-2009, 09:17   #150

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Mark, assumptions can often cause problems. You, for instance, seem to assume that she ran head first into the freighter. I, on the other hand, assume that she was referring to the mast head tri-color hitting the side of the freighter when the mast came down.
At least one of us is wrong.
You mean when the masthead hit the collier prior to coming down. The mast fell away from point of impact.
Closed Thread

Tags
jessica watson