Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2009, 13:29   #406

Boat: 33ft sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
No doubt S&S 34 excellent boat, the question remains though - is it the best tool for this job?

Technically wise, sailing wise, I would go for a Class 40 (or thereabouts, unless too extreme for the skipper's skills) - and in any case for a boat designed and optimized for downwind sailing.

I do not say it cannot, or should not, be done in a S&S 34, but I think there are better choices today.

In my limited and specific case, I found the lighter, faster boats to be way easier to control in heavy downwind conditions than the heavier, slower boats designed in the 60's - both on auto / windvane and by hand.

b.
You may go as far as Hydroptère. The S&S 34 is within the limits of Jessica.
If you can just ride a hack, don't go for a thoroughbred.
Old 29-09-2009, 14:30   #407

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabian1956 View Post
But just possibly she has the courage and determination to show up all those who attacked her from their arm chairs making their negative comments, remarks, criticism and showed their pettiness by discussing her teeth. None of us know how she will go but I for one wish her luck and smooth sailing.

Go Jessica!

Fabian
Yea, OK, sorry.............but...............not really I guess!

When I look at the "modeling" pictures she (who really?) is using then I have to say something about the whole "picture", sorry.

I am allowed my own opinion and while I too (truly I do) wish her all the luck in the world, I think it is a stunt. I also think she and her parents (and a lot here too!) know it also.

I don't have the balls (abilities?) for stunts. Sure I have pulled off a few, maybe lots depending on one's definition. When I look back I do not always feel pride. I feel just plain lucky to be alive, as in, "dang, that was dumb", "but, oh well I made it". "Let's see, what's next".
Old 29-09-2009, 14:46   #408
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Timing?

Given the weather patterns in W Pacific is it a viable plan to cross the equator there rather than in the Atlantic? I mean in the Atlantic the weather pattern in the S gives one a very fast and safe ride to somewhere just N of equator and then back South on the other side of the same high.

Is it just as easy to do the same in the Pacific?

Meaning - it is virtually October and being at Cape Horn at the best momo is probably a vital part of the plan. If she sets of by mid month and heads NE, will she make it to Horn before the weather turns less than perfect?

b.
Ah, but you miss the point, I think, barnie. If she successfully sails to the equator by heading there first from Sydney, then "reluctantly" is "forced" to call it off and return to Oz, she gets to skip the Horn entirely, and the Southern Ocean is, "sadly," going to have to wait for another time.

Her attempt will go down as a valiant attempt to break the record, not a cruise to the mid-Tropics and back (as some "cruel cynics" may insist on referring to it.)

TaoJones
Old 29-09-2009, 15:16   #409

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Before this thread, I enjoyed this site and respected most members opinions.

To all the Armchair Admirals willing Jessica to fail, may I ask why? Can ask what was it that gave you a love of the ocean? Surely not the Colregs. Yet all the pontificating quoting this law then that law, arguing about points of law its all irellevent.
Jessica made a mistake, so I ask have any of you ever made a mistake? Oh thats right you are all experienced MEN.
I'm an old bloke now 57 yo, I have had a 45 year love affair with the ocean,(lasted longer than my marriages) I been on it, in it almost every day for all those years. I still remember studying charts and maps at 12 years of age. I have seen the many moods of the sea from good to extreme. I have made many mistakes in the sea, but I guess I'm lucky as I'm still here. I remember what drew me to the ocean and I still have the same passion that I did if not more so then when I was 12, it certainly was'nt the Colregs. When I was a teenager I promised myself that I would'nt grow old, but I guess my body is letting me down in that area, but I have never forgotten that promise, and I still try and put my perspective in the what would I do if I were still 16.

If you are a cruel cynic and you think that Jessica's attempt at is all a stunt, then I truly pity you, as I feel you have forgotten what its like to be young and what was your initial attraction to the ocean.

Go Jessica.

Glenn
Old 29-09-2009, 16:38   #410
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Glen……while this Thread was started over Jessica’s attempt and incident I like to think that when members are clarifying COLREG issues amongst themselves, it is not a mean spirited attack against Jessica, but just an exchange of information.

There are those who attack the hype behind what she is doing and get angry because they genuinely fear for the girl and are concerned with promoting these types of age records.

Whether you agree with them or not, I would give them the benefit of the doubt, that their intentions are honorable.

I like you, am disappointed when a few make fun of Jessica on silly appearance issues, but I believe the vast majority here see her as if she was their own 16 year old daughter and care deeply.
Old 29-09-2009, 17:36   #411

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Glen……while this Thread was started over Jessica’s attempt and incident I like to think that when members are clarifying COLREG issues amongst themselves, it is not a mean spirited attack against Jessica, but just an exchange of information.

There are those who attack the hype behind what she is doing and get angry because they genuinely fear for the girl and are concerned with promoting these types of age records.

Whether you agree with them or not, I would give them the benefit of the doubt, that their intentions are honorable.

I like you, am disappointed when a few make fun of Jessica on silly appearance issues, but I believe the vast majority here see her as if she was their own 16 year old daughter and care deeply.

I hope your right, but its hard to give them the benefit of the doubt, as a lot of the comments here are mean spirited, and I repeat seem to be willing her to fail.(would they treat their own daughter this way?)

My kids are now out of their teens, and thankfully made it. But when the police called at 4.00am in the morning to tell me my 17yo had wrapped his car around a telegraph pole, I wished he was then sailing solo thru the southern ocean, instead of driving a car through the city streets.

Those that are concerned for Jessica's safety should look at the road toll statistics in Australia, 26% of deaths and serious injuries are between the ages of 16 & 23. So my take is she is safer out at sea.

My job is to teach teenagers OHS(occupational health and safety) I know how they think, just ask them they are all bullet proof, you can't put an old head on young shoulders, to be a wise old man you need to be a young fool etc:

If she does need rescuing, please use my taxpayers $$$ to rescue her. I would rather that the money goes to her rescue than rotting smokers who are costing this country a fortune in the healthcare system, unmarried mothers having more babies to get the $5k baby bonus, bogans in the western suburbs who have never worked a day in their life.

Stunt??? At least she is getting off her butt & having a go.

I will say it again:

Go Jessica.

Glenn
Old 29-09-2009, 18:13   #412

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
It would be so easy to say Go for it. BUT are you willing to sacrifice your kid to go rescue her? This isn't a game where we can pull out when we want to. Real people will have to go get her if she needs help.

I do not want her to fail - I don't want her to take that route, its not smart. If there is one thing we can all agree on it is that the sea has no mercy. We can wax on about our dreams and the beauty of the sea but it will kick your butt in a heart beat, and in the rouring forties it eats experienced sailors for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I understand why you think we are mean spirited, I didn't like the personal talk about her either. I admire jessica and know she will be an incredible adult if these are her goals as a kid. But the real issue is a kid who is not ready to face the ocean she wants to sail in. This isn't about her gender its about her experience and route.

If this was my kids dream and I couldnt talk her out of the route, then I'd go with her and to hell with the record. You can't replace jessica.

I totally respect the opinion of the "Go jessica side", I just strongly disagree and wish everyone would take a breath and rethink this route.

Erika
Old 29-09-2009, 18:30   #413
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Her course takes her from Cape Horn, via Cape of Good Hope to SOUTH of Tasmania in winter.

Can I just show you a video Pelagic showed in another thread.

Have a look at this ship - yes, I know its a different type of boat. But thats the weather that can be expected below 40 degrees south in winter.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 29-09-2009, 18:48   #414

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingminniwinni View Post
I hope your right, but its hard to give them the benefit of the doubt, as a lot of the comments here are mean spirited, and I repeat seem to be willing her to fail.(would they treat their own daughter this way?)

My kids are now out of their teens, and thankfully made it. But when the police called at 4.00am in the morning to tell me my 17yo had wrapped his car around a telegraph pole, I wished he was then sailing solo thru the southern ocean, instead of driving a car through the city streets.

Those that are concerned for Jessica's safety should look at the road toll statistics in Australia, 26% of deaths and serious injuries are between the ages of 16 & 23. So my take is she is safer out at sea.

My job is to teach teenagers OHS(occupational health and safety) I know how they think, just ask them they are all bullet proof, you can't put an old head on young shoulders, to be a wise old man you need to be a young fool etc:

If she does need rescuing, please use my taxpayers $$$ to rescue her. I would rather that the money goes to her rescue than rotting smokers who are costing this country a fortune in the healthcare system, unmarried mothers having more babies to get the $5k baby bonus, bogans in the western suburbs who have never worked a day in their life.

Stunt??? At least she is getting off her butt & having a go.

I will say it again:

Go Jessica.

Glenn
+1. Good luck to her, I hope she makes it.
Old 29-09-2009, 18:56   #415

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Her course takes her from Cape Horn, via Cape of Good Hope to SOUTH of Tasmania in winter.

Can I just show you a video Pelagic showed in another thread.

Have a look at this ship - yes, I know its a different type of boat. But thats the weather that can be expected below 40 degrees south in winter.

No its a S&S304,

Now Mark, thats very dramatic music on that clip? Were the choir on the boat?

Cheers,

Glenn,
off sick with the flu!!! with too much time on my hands
Old 29-09-2009, 18:59   #416

Sorry Ocean Girl,

I was not waxing my dreams or talking up the beaty of the ocean. Just trying to point out that, I do know the ocean. Only wax is on my surfboard, and possibly in my ears!!

Glenn
Old 29-09-2009, 19:07   #417

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
surfingminnwinni, I am the first to glorify the ocean and her beauty so I was including me in that analogy.

"She starts--she moves--she seems to feel
the thrill of life along her keel,
And spurning with her foot the ground,
With one exulting, joyous bound,
She leaps into the ocean's arms!"
-Longfellow

See.
Cheers,
Erika
Old 29-09-2009, 19:07   #418

Boat: Jason 35
I'm with you on this one, Glenn.

Also, could we all stop talking about her like she's a toddler? She's SIXTEEN YEARS OLD!!! Wars have been fought, babies raised, oceans crossed, and battles won by people younger than her. Sure, she's no seasoned, mature, middle ager, but kid? She's not a kid. In the greatest, most free, most prosperous and powerful country in the world, the United States of America, she's of legal age in most states.

I'm 48, so yes, it's hard for me to see anyone under 30 as an adult. But for heaven's sake, let's use our intellect over our emotion, people. She's old enough be doing this.

www.joekeck.com
Old 29-09-2009, 19:14   #419
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Hey, Glenn, don't let this thread get you down. They are just peoples opinions and except the teeth bit they are all mostly valid on both sides unless 'gilding the lily' pops in or bravado.

Jace when you get a boat and go sailing you may change your mind.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 29-09-2009, 19:21   #420

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingminniwinni View Post
To all the Armchair Admirals willing Jessica to fail, may I ask why?
I haven't seen anyone wish for her to fail - but there are a lot of us who want her and the adult influences in her life to rethink this foolish quest. It's not that we have issues with neophytes having an adventure per se - if you look at the Bumfuzzle thread you'll see I was a supporter. There are lots of ways to indulge a love affair with the sea without taking unnecessary risks.

One of the cynical old men.
Closed Thread

Tags
jessica watson