Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2009, 01:54   #856
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by llyrisk View Post

An "estimate" only? Who is going to send planes out in the middle of the ocean just to film her?
You are getting very good!!! Yes, who indeed? The cost of aricraft fuel even puts Journalists wages to shame!

Why would it benifit them to not disclose a precise lat and lon?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 27-10-2009, 02:05   #857
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingminniwinni View Post
Whats got me beat is why Jessica would employ Bob McDavitt (the ambassador for New Zealand's met service).for weather & routing, when she could of got all this "expert" advice for free.
Bob McDavitt is the NZ Met Services’ media spokesperson, and publisher of the “MetService Yacht Pack”.

See Bob McDavitt's latest weather ideas for sailing around the South Pacific (October 25, 2009)
WEATHERGRAM

MetService Yacht Pack is a 100 + page spiral-bound desktop-published guide to weather in the southwest Pacific, particularly New Zealand. The author, professional meteorologist Bob McDavitt, bills himself as New Zealand’s “weather ambassador”.

Through MetService, McDavitt provides, for a fee of about $25 US, five-day forecasts and projected weather maps for cruisers in the southwest Pacific. (Primarily the waters between Tonga, Fiji, New Zealand, New Caledonia, and Australia)

The Yacht Pack is a brief compilation of McDavitt’s weather wisdom. It includes a simple tutorial on reading weatherfaxes, descriptions of tropical weather patterns, schedules for voice and facsimile forecasts throughout the region, and straightforward, easy-to-understand introductions to the basics of weather forecasting and analysis.

email: mcdavitt@met.co.nz

See also ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...avit-3262.html

And
“SOUTH PACIFIC WEATHER—THE BARE BONES BASICS”
www.trimaran-naga.com/resources/spwx.doc

Old 27-10-2009, 03:42   #858

Marks had to much chardy again..

He [Bob McDavitt] is an ambassador for the nz met. (and it seems that you concur)...

You are in a "winning position" if she dies you can say "told you so..."
And if she makes it you can say " what an irresponsible precedent, others will follow and they will die"....

All the while using her metle as grist for your own verbal mill...
Old 27-10-2009, 03:59   #859
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper View Post
if she dies you can say "told you so..."
And if she makes it you can say " what an irresponsible precedent, others will follow and they will die"....

Either way you can say I'm wrong. But I, still, will never shut up about it. I might be wrong and it might be ok for 8 year old kids to do this, but I do not agree. I will always rally against it.

I don't care what you call me.

Old 27-10-2009, 05:00   #860

I didnt call you anything.........
if you wish to take the moral high ground there is thousands of desperate kids who would dealy love your help, intervention and wealth and comments. They WANT you to intervene in their situation and stop their exploitation......
It appears that Jessica does not...
Just a thought, given the obvious pasion that has been shown in this recent discusion by quite a few people who obviously feel very strongly about the protection of children. May I humbly suggest that for the sake of say 50cents per post several lives would have already been saved. Jessica, I am quite sure would approve.
Old 27-10-2009, 05:33   #861
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Ok, I promised not to jump in again ... but I do have one thing to say:

she has apparently switched off her AIS to "hide". Isn't this precisely what Jesse's father (falsely) accused the Silver Yang of doing immediately after the collision?
Old 27-10-2009, 05:58   #862

Boat: C&C 121 40ft - Seeker
Two different situations.. First the ship was just in a collision then turned it off..(as to hide)

Second on this occasion she had cleared Norfolk Island,, then im sure her team has scanned the satalite for any ship etc in the area and deceided in HER best interest and security (not so everyone can track her) to turn it off for now.. Do you really think they want you to know exactly where she is????? you being the public.. Her team and especially her weather forcaster know exactly where she is .. Right now YOU dont need to know her lon and lat sorry..
Old 27-10-2009, 06:03   #863
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt gay rum View Post
Two different situations.. First the ship was just in a collision then turned it off..(as to hide)

Second on this occasion she had cleared Norfolk Island,, then im sure her team has scanned the satalite for any ship etc in the area and deceided in HER best interest and security (not so everyone can track her) to turn it off for now.. Do you really think they want you to know exactly where she is????? you being the public.. Her team and especially her weather forcaster know exactly where she is .. Right now YOU dont need to know here lon and lat sorry..
But in fact there's no evidence the ship did that. The father's accusation, as well as his report that she tried to hail the ship pre-collision and that it didn't stop post-collision, all later proved false.
Old 27-10-2009, 06:06   #864

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
But in fact there's no evidence the ship did that. The father's accusation, as well as his report that she tried to hail the ship pre-collision and that it didn't stop post-collision, all later proved false.

Ok I stand corrected on the First.. you are totally correct!!!!
Old 27-10-2009, 06:20   #865

Boat: PETERSON 44
I don't see anywhere a report that her ais is off. Just that their not reporting her exact location.
Old 27-10-2009, 06:22   #866
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
I don't see anywhere a report that her ais is off. Just that their not reporting her exact location.

Packets transmitted:0 over the last 48 hours, heard on radio by 0 known stations, 0 known iGates

Station info for PINK LADY - Google Maps APRS
Old 27-10-2009, 06:25   #867

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
As am I, Wotname. And I'm still of my previously stated opinion that she will return to Australia after making her loop around an equatorial island, and never get wet in the Southern Ocean. If she does actually head for the Horn after her sojourn to the equator, I could see her abandoning the effort somewhere in Chile without attempting to 'round the Horn.
TaoJones
- - I wouldn't count her "out" just yet. She may make it around regardless of the equipment and skills . . . Many years ago I was sitting in a little cafe in Place St Miquel in the "left bank of Paris" and witnessed a staggering drunk step off the curb and wander blindly across a really major Parisian circle(round about) packed with crazy speeding Frenchmen. Blind drunk he made it to the center of the circle, stopped, unzipped, took a wiz, and then staggered on across more lanes of crazy French drivers to the opposite curb. Not a scratch or even mussed up clothing. He got a standing ovation from 500 on-lookers that night. - So maybe she will just be successful and make all the way to the other side.
Old 27-10-2009, 06:26   #868

Here is a pic of approx location !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Estimated102809.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	10727  
Old 27-10-2009, 06:32   #869
Long Range Cruiser

Maybe they are doing a Donald Crowhurst?

Old 27-10-2009, 06:37   #870
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Maybe they are doing a Donald Crowhurst?
the thought occurred to me too, Mark, but I think that would be pretty difficult nowadays!

Tags
jessica watson