Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 23:55   #106

Boat: Peterson 46
Cat aman Do, take deep breaths. Calm down. This is why we go cruising in qld because we can get away from the 'wallopers' - they only have enough fuel to cover harbours and common places. Go sailing mate, up past Cooktown and you'll forget all about these 'cow pats with legs'.
Old 13-09-2009, 03:26   #107
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Is that the same stupid QLD law that has forced me to get a license to drive a yacht like I have done for 30 + years?

The same stupid QLD law that had me do the test in a 12 ft tinny, but apparently means I am competent to run a powered or sail vessel up to a gazillion feet long?

That License is nothing more than name on list and revenue raising.
Cat Man, I hear you - one of the reasons I was happy to leave the Sunshine State even though I am pure breed Banana Bender. Of course they went and introduced a similar law here a couple of years back but after seeing some of the complete idiots on the local waters, I am (almost) willing support any action that keeps a couple of them off the water.

Sometimes feel like getting a BIG engineless yacht and just sailing around waiting to be asked to show a license and being able to flip them the bird (legally).

Off topic rant over, back to
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 13-09-2009, 04:27   #108
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
If you look at her website and the follow the link to the photos of the boat returning to harbor - this is no child! ...
Physiologically, the human brain isn’t fully developed until the early to mid twenties, and the part not fully developed (in teenagers) is the frontal lobe, the “executive,” impulse-control part of the brain that understands cause and effect and predicts the implications of one’s actions.

For instance, see ➥ NIMH · Teenage Brain: A work in progress (Fact Sheet)

I have no doubt that Jessica is a remarkably capable and mature adolescent child. However, I also have no doubt, that, as a child, she deserves the same protections/prohibitions that we generally afford all children.

Old 13-09-2009, 06:27   #109

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
- - You can "cherry pick" any "report" and find what you want to hear somewhere in it. It is an old political trick used by politicians to bolster their sometimes very stupid agendas.
- - For instance from the report: "they may parallel a pruning process that occurs early in life that appears to follow the principle of "use-it-or-lose-it:" neural connections, or synapses, that get exercised are retained, while those that don't are lost." That seems to explain why the typically over-indulged and protected children of parents in North America and other similar nations are deficient in reasoning skills, judgement and common sense - - they are so "protected from everything" that they never have had to "use it" and therefore "lose it."
- - I like this typical disclaimer used in these types of reports to shield them from being labeled silly - > "Individual brains differ enough that only broad generalizations can be made from comparisons of different individuals at different ages."
- - And this extraction from the report: "NIMH's Dr. Judith Rapoport and colleagues were surprised to discover a second wave of overproduction of gray matter, the thinking part of the brain—neurons and their branch-like extensions—just prior to puberty." That can only refer to the apparent change in the young male's brain just after puberty. It has branched out and re-established itself physically almost a meter lower down on the body from the cranium. There you go ladies - medical proof of what you always knew about where a young man's brain is located.
- - And I like this one from the report: "the brain's white matter—wire-like fibers that establish neurons' long-distance connections between brain regions—thickens progressively from birth in humans." That obviously proves the truth of the common phrase we call guys on the water who cannot seem to follow any form of common courtesy - "$%*#@#^ Thick headed idiot . . . "
- - The the final paragraph from the report sums it all up: "While these studies have shown remarkable changes that occur in the brain during the teen years, they also demonstrate what every parent can confirm: the teenage brain is a very complicated and dynamic arena, one that is not easily understood." That explains why the "complicated and dynamic" young person's brain will never be understood by us - old thick-headed adults.
Old 13-09-2009, 06:33   #110
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
However, I also have no doubt, that, as a child, she deserves the same protections/prohibitions that we generally afford all children.
She has - as a matter of law in Qld - the right to do what she wants to do. She can lawfully leave home and provided she is not in moral or criminal danger (to use the words of the statute) there is nothing - I say again - NOTHING anyone can do to stop her - not her parents not the government.
Old 13-09-2009, 07:03   #111

Hmm.. A Chinese Captain may succeed....
Seriously, she is a sailor, she is legal and IMO, one of us - whether we agree with her or not - she is "family".
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 13-09-2009, 07:07   #112
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
She has - as a matter of law in Qld - the right to do what she wants to do...
I wasn’t suggesting that the force of law should prevent Jessica from undertaking this challenge - although, perhaps it should.

I was suggesting that I believe she and her parents have made an unwise decision.

I’m also surprised to learn, that as a 16 year old, the laws of QLD allow her to vote, enlist in the military, drink alcohol, enter into legal contracts, and the like. I thought the Australian age of majority was 18.

Obviously, not everyone here believes that the teen years are a transition to adulthood, when children are developing and learning to BECOME adults; and there are certain growth spurts that mark this transition; generally occurring between the ages of ten and twelve, fourteen and sixteen, and eighteen and twenty. Differing opinions make for lively discussions.

Old 13-09-2009, 07:11   #113

Quote:
I’m also surprised to learn, that as a 16 year old, the laws of QLD allow her to vote, enlist in the military, drink alcohol, enter into legal contracts, and the like. I thought the Australian age of majority was 18.
It is, but you can leave home at 16 and fend for yourself if you want to but can't vote, drink etc until 18.
Old 13-09-2009, 11:33   #114

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
- - You can "cherry pick" any "report" and find what you want to hear somewhere in it. It is an old political trick used by politicians to bolster their sometimes very stupid agendas.
- - For instance from the report: "they may parallel a pruning process that occurs early in life that appears to follow the principle of "use-it-or-lose-it:" neural connections, or synapses, that get exercised are retained, while those that don't are lost." That seems to explain why the typically over-indulged and protected children of parents in North America and other similar nations are deficient in reasoning skills, judgement and common sense - - they are so "protected from everything" that they never have had to "use it" and therefore "lose it."
- - I like this typical disclaimer used in these types of reports to shield them from being labeled silly - > "Individual brains differ enough that only broad generalizations can be made from comparisons of different individuals at different ages."
- - And this extraction from the report: "NIMH's Dr. Judith Rapoport and colleagues were surprised to discover a second wave of overproduction of gray matter, the thinking part of the brain—neurons and their branch-like extensions—just prior to puberty." That can only refer to the apparent change in the young male's brain just after puberty. It has branched out and re-established itself physically almost a meter lower down on the body from the cranium. There you go ladies - medical proof of what you always knew about where a young man's brain is located.
- - And I like this one from the report: "the brain's white matter—wire-like fibers that establish neurons' long-distance connections between brain regions—thickens progressively from birth in humans." That obviously proves the truth of the common phrase we call guys on the water who cannot seem to follow any form of common courtesy - "$%*#@#^ Thick headed idiot . . . "
- - The the final paragraph from the report sums it all up: "While these studies have shown remarkable changes that occur in the brain during the teen years, they also demonstrate what every parent can confirm: the teenage brain is a very complicated and dynamic arena, one that is not easily understood." That explains why the "complicated and dynamic" young person's brain will never be understood by us - old thick-headed adults.
Thank you for the Cliff's Notes and your interpretation.
Enlightening and oh-so-true.
Old 13-09-2009, 14:17   #115

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser
I would like to know where the information from the VTS station on the top of Moreton Island is displayed. One would assume alarm system would advise someone on shore that
a collision was indicated if both AIS systems were operating. (The information on ships can been seen on Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions a site I've only found after the instant).
Regards Bill
ps I think I remember when I was 16 I knew more than I do now or maybe I was having more fun?
Old 13-09-2009, 15:55   #116

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
It is, but you can leave home at 16 and fend for yourself if you want to but can't vote, drink etc until 18.
Reminds me of this bit from "The Young Ones"

TWIZ TV - The Young Ones Pilot - Series Premiere Transcript
Quote:
TEENAGER #1: I'm sixteen, I'm old enough to marry and have children, but I can't drink in pubs. When will the government wake up and realize that young adults are mature and responsible people?

TEENAGER #2: I'm sixteen, right? I can join the Army, the Air Force and the Navy... but I can't drink in pubs. When will the government, right, realize that young adults have a valued contribution to give to society?

• [This TEENAGER is sniffing glue. He reacts visibly before speaking.]
TEENAGER #3: A lot of people say that young adults are violent, right? But how would you feel if you were old enough to have... intercourse with the partner of your choice... and yet you could not drink in pubs?

BAZ: There you go! That's the problem! What do you with an evening if you're a young adult and yet you can't go drinking in pubs?

• [RICK is watching this on TV.]
BAZ: Now what I think is if the kids are united, we will never be divided!
  • [RICK kicks in the TV screen. The tube explodes in a cloud of sparks. He stands up angrily; MIKE also stands up.]
RICK: Did you see that? Did you? "The voice of youth"! They're still wearing flared trousers! Why don't you try a bit of poetry, you hippies!
Old 13-09-2009, 16:28   #117

Boat: Durbeck 46 cutter
A 16 year old teenager does not have the experience, maturity or money to safely complete a round the world voyage. How many people have said" I didn't know enough to know how little I knew" when they realized their mistakes.

It is their parents that are putting their kids up for fame and fortune. They care more about publicity and fame then they do about their child's safety and well-being. The media are also guilty of encouraging this behavior.

The consequence of these stunts is that they cause responsible people to unnecessarily risk their lives and craft to save these young seekers of publicity. I think we have too many restrictive laws and regulations already. Stunts like this that go awry encourage people to ask their governments to regulate such behavior which puts restrictions on everyone else.

We should stop expressing empathy for these young kids and reprimand their parents.

www.healthyboating.blogspot.com
Old 13-09-2009, 16:33   #118

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
- - Back to Bill Good's good questions - from the photos of her sailboat she certainly seemed to have a complete array of all the latest electronics, radar, satellite tracking and communications and enough antennas to make NASA jealous.
- - I have been single-handing for 7 years and also have an array of all the modern electronics - which I use! Furuno Radar with dual EBL and ARPA, running all night with guard zones and alarms set. Radar detectors C.A.R.M for daytime. AIS for general big ship information and big screen electronic navigation charts and autopilots. If I zonk out for a short time the electronics make a horrible alarm noise if anything comes with 10nm of me. But - if you do not use the equipment - what good is it?
- - So the question remains - regardless of her age - was she using the equipment that was on her sailboat. She states she activated the radar and nav lights at sunset - - But the equipment is worthless if nobody is using it or it is not set up correctly. 3rd World freighters have the equipment but routinely never turn it on. 2nd and 1st World freights/cruise ships have the equipment and it is turned on but it is not often that a qualified bridge person is looking at it or even on the bridge.
- - So maybe her sailing skills are adequate and sufficient but maybe her competency and knowledge of using the electronics is insufficient. She certainly knew how to use the telephone as reported - but because of the official inquiries currently on-going nothing has been said about her "watch-keeping" abilities. 50 years ago back in Hiscock's day non-electronic navigation was the only way - now a days in the modern highly congested sea lanes those items are basic to safe passages.
Old 13-09-2009, 17:08   #119
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
I wasn’t suggesting that the force of law should prevent Jessica from undertaking this challenge - although, perhaps it should. I was suggesting that I believe she and her parents have made an unwise decision.
That is entirely a matter of personal opinion and one which obviously many share and many disagree with. On the issue of the law preventing this however, I think not - She is legally entitled to sail the boat - so she sails the boat where she wants to.

Quote:
Go back a few pages - I indicated that she does not have the right to vote, and as a matter of fact she does have the right to drink alcohol, there is no law against that in Qld - the law simply prohibits persons under the age of 18 years being on licenseed premises. Any person can enter into a contract, however the prusumptions of law that affect its application may be more clouded in a person under 18. - A person under 18 years can serve in the military. I did.

Majority is both a state and Federal legal Issue in Australia. As a matter of law she is entitled to make her her own decisions about her life, and I am so pleased she is doing what she is doing rather than many other things.
Old 13-09-2009, 19:58   #120

You know, after reading all this about experience I am reminded of the story of the Silverwood family crashing on that Atol in the South Pacif.... Hmmm didn't he have tons of experience, and the wife too for that matter? They were off watch in dangerous waters at night and crashed on a reef nearly killing the father- he lost his leg if I recall. Oh ya but he was older than sixteen and much more experienced and hmmmm mature right? The skipper still wrecked his boat and could have easily lost his life, or his childrens lives right? Maybe we should say no children on board sailboats- how about we make it law? No children on boats because they might get hurt, besides it is not necissity that anyone sail anywhere really. The parents and the child made the decision to go... More power to them. Sounds like there are a lot of jealous sailors here.
Closed Thread

Tags
jessica watson