Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2020, 06:06   #31

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Re: A scam in Dominica

On the western side of Dominica (where the OP said they were anchored), there is ~1kt north bound current. Not sure how much is in close to shore, but the OP did say it was light air so maybe it was strong enough to trip the anchor.

This could also explain why/how the boat drifted up wind from where they originally anchored it.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 06:21   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Yes, I have been suprised by the current in some locations. No doubt that anchoring in these slopes can be challenging.

It may be the OP’s fears are well founded. It’s just that there are other plausible explanations.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 06:46   #33

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26

I don’t see it being said much, so I’ll point it out. I don’t find it unreasonable that an unattended & anchored boat could fail in a myriad of ways and move on its own.

It’s the “we saved your boat and now we want to get paid for it” that I find much less reasonable.
TheLuckyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 06:57   #34

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

We'll never know what really happened nor how much they were asking to be compensated for "saving" the boat. They may have been attempting to charge them for a mooring also.

In any event, if they did save the boat, a reasonable reward would be in order.

I'm not sure why more people don't put deck level motion activated cameras on their boats to see whats happening on the boat when they are gone of if something is stolen off the boat at night. The pictures are a useful tool to show what happened and ID thieves.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 06:57   #35

Boat: Nauticat 32

A recording video surveillance camera might provide some help in this kind of situations.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 07:05   #36

I dislike seeing Dominica getting a Blackeye, for a good dead. They are trying hard to overcome a bad reputation from long ago.
Bradley
DoratheExplora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 15:12   #37

To be fair, it could have happened just about anywhere...
Old 15-02-2020, 16:34   #38

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLuckyone View Post
I don’t see it being said much, so I’ll point it out. I don’t find it unreasonable that an unattended & anchored boat could fail in a myriad of ways and move on its own.

It’s the “we saved your boat and now we want to get paid for it” that I find much less reasonable
There are hundreds of years of marine law that says it is very reasonable. If you are a fellow cruiser and recover another cruisers boat, expect a bottle of wine or a dinner out. If you are a local, expect some payment.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 16:42   #39

Oh, don’t get me wrong... An offer of a meal, favor, etc. is more than reasonable reward for a credible recovery.

Demanding monetary payment for a recovery from an engineered “failure?” Not cool. Hundreds of years of maritime law or not.
Old 15-02-2020, 17:04   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
There are hundreds of years of marine law that says it is very reasonable. If you are a fellow cruiser and recover another cruisers boat, expect a bottle of wine or a dinner out. If you are a local, expect some payment.
Yes, it is reasonable. There is actually "salvage rule". Question is: did boat actually went "sailing" by itself or it was "kidnapped"/stolen. Not sure how you can figure it out short of having camera on-board. Does not have to be motion activated one: at low resolution/frame rate any Go Pro (or knock off) will do for a few hours. Maybe need to check battery requirements. Makes me think about rugging one next time I venture down south.
P.S. In the case of OP GPS track should tell him if boat actually sailed 2 miles upwind as locals stated. But only if GPS was on.
alex_sauvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 17:20   #41

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_sauvage View Post
Yes, it is reasonable. There is actually "salvage rule". Question is: did boat actually went "sailing" by itself or it was "kidnapped"/stolen. Not sure how you can figure it out short of having camera on-board. Does not have to be motion activated one: at low resolution/frame rate any Go Pro (or knock off) will do for a few hours. Maybe need to check battery requirements. Makes me think about rugging one next time I venture down south.
P.S. In the case of OP GPS track should tell him if boat actually sailed 2 miles upwind as locals stated. But only if GPS was on.
Anchored in a dubious area, on a shelf near deep water and left unattended. Not sure 'it was kidnapped' would be at the top of my list as to cause. Earlier in this thread I mentioned two boats I know who drifted off i0n similar conditions ( in another area ) . They both blamed another cruiser for tripping their anchor - in one case I know that wasn't true and in the other it was very very unlikely.
If you are going to come up with a solution to the problem, it makes more sense to solve the likely causes. Not the least of which is leaving a boat on anchor unattended in an area where anchoring is not secure.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 17:44   #42

We were once anchored upstream of a low bridge with the current running about 2 knots. A big sporfisherman anchored upstream and everyone went ashore for dinner. Their boat got loose and drifted down on us We managed to raft them to us, but the large boat was dragging our anchor and we were all going to hit the bridge. The crew of the big Bertram had of course taken the keys with them
We were calling for help on 16 and getting ready to cast the poor boat loose to her fate when the USCG showed up, took the boat under tow, and reanchored her a mile away in the dark. I always wondered how her crew found her again!
Coquina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 03:49   #43

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Dehaies.
Apologies - and at the risk of ridicule. But what is this word?
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 04:02   #44

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

It's the name of a town.
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 04:47   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestersails View Post
Apologies - and at the risk of ridicule. But what is this word?
My contorted spelling of the popular port along the western coast, north end, of Guadeloupe.

DESHAIES would be correct.

Anchoring there is a trip. Everyone scrambles to get on the shelf, which slopes. The best anchorage locations is taken with locals laying on moorings. And it can be quite windy with 180° shifts. I find it best to arrive in the morning, say about 9am after folks have left and before others have arrived. It’s a nice little town with a decent bakers right off the dingy dock, a few food stores, customs, restaurants, car rental but no marine services. There is a GREAT botanical garden within walking distance.

Light blue is 12-6 meters, dark blue 6-0 meters.

hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Dominica