Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2020, 13:40   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono
Re: A scam in Dominica

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
My chain goes through a stopper. The chain can be pulled in, but not let out, unless the stopper lever is lifted. That’s our “hard point” behind the snubbed.

Exactly. Mine is the same arrangement. And, to answer Mike, lots of people don't do it correctly and just leave the chain on the windlass, which is what occurred in the incident I described. And, by the way, this is not hearsay. the owners were friends of mine. In fact, I was sitting ashore with them when they got the news.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 13:58   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Yeah, I could disconnect the breaker every time but it’s not in a easy location and would be a PITA. I could lift the chain off the gypsie. Then a run away windlass could not lift the chain.

But in the topic of anchor problems here is one. I have a long piece of snubber line. I use about 12’ but tie off the rest to a lifeline so if I want to run longer snubber or move the chafe point I can. I had the extra line all coiled and made up real seaman like. Then we had a squall and a 180° wind shift, I needed to let out chain to move back but unraveling the extra snubber line took too long and I hit the other boat. Fortunately no damage to his boat and minimum to mine.

Just one of those little unintended consequences.

Gawd, there are too many ways to screw up!
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 07:38   #48

Boat: Leopard 40

As usual, there are a lot of people not paying attention to the facts presented. You said in order for the boat to have gone in the direction they pointed, the boat would have had to have gone against the wind. Any anchor can drag. But a boats not going to go on a walk about against the wind.

I think you did the right thing.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 07:47   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Maje View Post
As usual, there are a lot of people not paying attention to the facts presented. You said in order for the boat to have gone in the direction they pointed, the boat would have had to have gone against the wind. Any anchor can drag. But a boats not going to go on a walk about against the wind.

Maje
I believe someone specifically mentioned the strong currents in that area.

We need to be careful about assumptions that don't account for all the facts.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 07:49   #50

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Maje View Post

Maje

In the OP's story about the incident, they didn't mention the wind direction and that there is a decent N setting current along the shore in that general location. It is possible that the boat could go against a light wind if there was a stronger opposing current.

Not making any judgments here. just don't have all the facts. Had suggested they report it to the CSSN, but as of today, there is no report of the incident.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 08:13   #51
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

Ii wonder what would have happened if you appeared lavish with thanks, eager to pay these scofflaws, but you had to "call the Coast Guard (or police) to witness the cash payoff and file a report for your insurance company. "
Old 21-02-2020, 08:23   #52

Boat: Voyage 480
Send a message via Skype™ to jerrypeters

Not passing any judgement .... But, I hate to see Dominica get a bad reputation. I have anchored in the same spot as the OP dozens of times over the last twenty years and have left the boat unattended for hours at a time. I love Dominica and find that trips afield from that location are often easier than from Portsmouth (especially if you are returning south after the Dominca visit). At any rate I have met many locales and trust them as guides, taxi drivers, local knowledge sources, etc.

The holding there is challenging, As has been pointed out, the anchoring shelf is almost non-existent and it drops off dramatically in a very short distance. There are (usually) reliable moorings there now for a very reasonable fee. If not (and before they were there) it was necessary/prudent to take a line to shore. Anchors alone in this area are just not sufficient IMO.
jerrypeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 09:34   #53

Boat: custom trawler catamaran 50 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjulis View Post
Just sharing my recent experience.
We anchored in Dominica Islalnd, at Loubier, a little south of Rouseau. In the morning went ashore in a dinghy for a few hours. When we came back, the boat was not there! There were some group of masts closer to Rouseau and we decided to go there, if no boat, at least, there would be civilization and police. When we approached we saw out yacht, tied to some local buoy. A few locals were standing on a pier, they told us that the yacht went off anchor, they caught it 2 miles from the shore, brought it back and now wanted a compensation.
Well, I was almost ready to believe that a 44' yacht with depth*5 chain can go off anchor in 2 knots of wind after standing still for the 20 hours. Anything could happen. But then the guy pointed to where they caught it. Apparently, I was supposed to believe that the boat went AGAINGT wind )

I just left. They had the audacity to call coast guards who caught up with us, but just wrote down our names and stuff and wished us happy sailing.
I try on my boat yard those little infrared camera for 50 $ they record for you any intruder so you get proof to show to authorities!!
rapanui 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 09:35   #54

Boat: custom trawler catamaran 50 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjulis View Post
Just sharing my recent experience.
We anchored in Dominica Islalnd, at Loubier, a little south of Rouseau. In the morning went ashore in a dinghy for a few hours. When we came back, the boat was not there! There were some group of masts closer to Rouseau and we decided to go there, if no boat, at least, there would be civilization and police. When we approached we saw out yacht, tied to some local buoy. A few locals were standing on a pier, they told us that the yacht went off anchor, they caught it 2 miles from the shore, brought it back and now wanted a compensation.
Well, I was almost ready to believe that a 44' yacht with depth*5 chain can go off anchor in 2 knots of wind after standing still for the 20 hours. Anything could happen. But then the guy pointed to where they caught it. Apparently, I was supposed to believe that the boat went AGAINGT wind )

I just left. They had the audacity to call coast guards who caught up with us, but just wrote down our names and stuff and wished us happy sailing.
some years ago it was a local sport to do that in the testigos venezuela!!
rapanui 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 09:43   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLuckyone View Post
I don’t see it being said much, so I’ll point it out. I don’t find it unreasonable that an unattended & anchored boat could fail in a myriad of ways and move on its own.

It’s the “we saved your boat and now we want to get paid for it” that I find much less reasonable.
Salcon89 pretty much ensures the right to be compensated for such efforts. Walking away from someone who salvaged an unattended boat with a hearty thanks is what is actually unreasonable.

The assertion here is that the boat was not dragging and rather was moved for the potential financial gain. This is a strong accusation lacking in proof.

Tide and current could easily pull at boat in a direction opposing a 2kt wind.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 09:56   #56

Boat: DeFever 50 CMY

Another scam as told to us by local police when we were cruising up down the islands is to steal your dink, ‘find it’ and ask for reward. Been there done that
SharAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 12:00   #57

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We love Dominica but we will not anchor anywhere but Portsmouth. The boat boys in Rousseau are officious pests. The moorings south of Rousseau are a scam. Boat boys there can be scary and mooring rates are double the PAYS rates.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 12:17   #58

Next time you go to Dominica anchor at Sea Cat. He has take care of me twice now. He also runs a tour of the island that is amazing.
Bon Temps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 13:25   #59

Easily if you drag off the near shore shelf into very deep water which is typical of the area around Roseau.
sailores35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 14:56   #60

Boat: Coast 30

Having read through all four pages so far; I never found the answer to the question I was thinking..Exactly how many dollars or other monetary reward were these local people asking for?

What could make that answer 'interesting' is the amount?
Although not definitive by any means...

IF very minor could lend credence to their dragging anchor story being true?

If exorbitant would tend to support the boat stolen & held to ransom theory.
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Dominica