Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2020, 10:51   #1

A scam in Dominica

Just sharing my recent experience.
We anchored in Dominica Islalnd, at Loubier, a little south of Rouseau. In the morning went ashore in a dinghy for a few hours. When we came back, the boat was not there! There were some group of masts closer to Rouseau and we decided to go there, if no boat, at least, there would be civilization and police. When we approached we saw out yacht, tied to some local buoy. A few locals were standing on a pier, they told us that the yacht went off anchor, they caught it 2 miles from the shore, brought it back and now wanted a compensation.
Well, I was almost ready to believe that a 44' yacht with depth*5 chain can go off anchor in 2 knots of wind after standing still for the 20 hours. Anything could happen. But then the guy pointed to where they caught it. Apparently, I was supposed to believe that the boat went AGAINGT wind )

I just left. They had the audacity to call coast guards who caught up with us, but just wrote down our names and stuff and wished us happy sailing.
Anjulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 11:11   #2

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Re: A scam in Dominica

Interesting story and at least it wasn't a malicious event.

If you get a chance, please submit report to Caribbean Safety/Security so others are warned of the possible scam if they go through that area.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 11:27   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post

If you get a chance, please submit report to Caribbean Safety/Security so others are warned of the possible scam if they go through that area.

Your link doesn't work
Anjulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 11:36   #4

Sorry, I see the embedded link didn't copy it correctly.
https://safetyandsecuritynet.org/sub...cident-report/
Old 13-02-2020, 11:59   #5

Wau..this very unplesant and I would not call it "not malicious event". Was the anchor down when you found the boat? I would assume not, otherwise how would they drag it for 2 miles. If so how they managed to raise the anchor? You would not leave windlass powered when leaving your boat for a few hours. I considered Dominica to be pretty safe mostly because of hearing about their Guide Association which looks after cruisers. Is it only active in Portmouth?
alex_sauvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 14:08   #6

Not malicious in the sense of no one was physically hurt nor property being destroyed.

Still not a good event. I would liken it to kidnapping, then asking for ransom or stealing something then ask for a reward for finding it.
Old 13-02-2020, 14:23   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

A few weeks ago the shackle pin fell out of our anchor and disconnected. It was at night during a violent squall, but it could have happened under much more benign circumstances. I know it was the pin fell out because I was able to find the anchor and the pin was laying next to the shank. I had replaced the shackle wire lock in December just before launch. Why this happened I don’t know.

There are some rather serious currents around the ends of some islands now and again.

I have no idea what happened in in your situation, and I’m thrilled you have your boat back.

I have heard a report of a stolen anchor from an anchored yacht in NW Guadeloupe. They claim the anchor was down and when they raised anchor there was none. Apparently they were laying just to the chain.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 19:07   #8
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_sauvage View Post
Wau..this very unplesant and I would not call it "not malicious event". Was the anchor down when you found the boat? I would assume not, otherwise how would they drag it for 2 miles. If so how they managed to raise the anchor? You would not leave windlass powered when leaving your boat for a few hours. I considered Dominica to be pretty safe mostly because of hearing about their Guide Association which looks after cruisers. Is it only active in Portmouth?
Good question about the anchor still being deployed. But, why would you say that they wouldn't leave the windlass powered when gone? I know some do disconnect but I'd guess the majority of boats leave it on, including me. I want the power available and have left the keys in the ignition since I bought the boat 10 years ago. Lock the doors - yes, but I'd prefer the boat be functional if for some reason it does need to be rescued.
Old 13-02-2020, 19:22   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Good question about the anchor still being deployed. But, why would you say that they wouldn't leave the windlass powered when gone? I know some do disconnect but I'd guess the majority of boats leave it on, including me. I want the power available and have left the keys in the ignition since I bought the boat 10 years ago. Lock the doors - yes, but I'd prefer the boat be functional if for some reason it does need to be rescued.

Nope, don't leave the windlass powered up all the time, nor do we leave the keys in the ignition. Do other things to "disable" the boat from being motored off if we are not on the boat and try not to make it too easy to steal the boat.
Guess you could also leave the keys in your car, just in case someone needs to use it.
Old 13-02-2020, 19:26   #10

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_sauvage View Post
I don't manually switch off power to the windlass when not on the boat. Why? It's not like it's using any.

I am headed to Dominica in a few days, so perhaps I will turn it off there, then should i drag and a kind passerby try to save my boat, they wouldn't be able to re-anchor it.

Thanks to the OP for sharing this.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 20:09   #11
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Nope, don't leave the windlass powered up all the time, nor do we leave the keys in the ignition. Do other things to "disable" the boat from being motored off if we are not on the boat and try not to make it too easy to steal the boat.
Guess you could also leave the keys in your car, just in case someone needs to use it.
Kind of an apples and oranges comparison with the car. Boats really are pretty hard to steal successfully.

Dominica has a reputation, which this first hand story confirms isn't totally unjustified.
Old 13-02-2020, 22:17   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
I am headed to Dominica in a few days, so perhaps I will turn it off there, then should i drag and a kind passerby try to save my boat, they wouldn't be able to re-anchor it.

Thanks to the OP for sharing this.
Well, if you think there is a chance your anchor might drag, it is probably not a good idea to go ashore and hope someone will save your boat. I personally turn breakers off on what ever curcuit not in use especially when I am nor aboard, but it is a personal choice. I am still curiuos to hear from OP how those guys managed to move the boat
Old 13-02-2020, 22:22   #13

Quote:
Kind of an apples and oranges comparison with the car. Boats really are pretty hard to steal successfully.
Obviously those guys had no problem to take posesion of the boat and move it to whatever place they desired.
Old 14-02-2020, 01:56   #14

Boat: Sun Odyssey 45.2

Quote:
I guess this i why some disconnect.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...lf-228451.html
Recy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 03:34   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

A few years ago we were in Green Turtle Key. A charter cat broke the mooring and drifted off. A few dinks went to the rescue but were unable to control it. I jumped aboard, fired up an engine, and brought the boat back to a new mooring.

The family were ashore having diner and had no idea of what transpired until I told them.

BACK TO THE OP:

Probably too late now but it would be fascinating to go see if you could find the anchor.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Dominica