Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2013, 20:41   #31

Re: Am I The Only Guy Mad When I See A Mooring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
No, still in Jacksonville working 6-12's on the Jean Mary, a paddle wheel boat. I should be back in Mex before you get down to our neck of the woods, looking forward to seeing you!
Charlotte's been reading me the updates of all the hell you guys have been going through. We're sweating our balls off up here in the Sea.

How about we go anchor at Punta Mita and long board surf some of those rollers? I would be SO down for a few days of that right now.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 21:18   #32

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
No, still in Jacksonville working 6-12's on the Jean Mary, a paddle wheel boat. I should be back in Mex before you get down to our neck of the woods, looking forward to seeing you!
Cool Steve...Making the jump 10/31 with my friend from Alohaland. Bound for La Paz where I will hopefully find a dentist and get that process going. I sure got burned out on the dental quacks in the US. I hope it's true what they say and the cost is 1/3 of here...CS
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 21:22   #33

Isn't there a smaller cove toward the entrance. I think that's where we anchored. It was private and out of the wind and no rooster or dog noise. Still cose enough to kayak to the beach to buy fresh fish or go to the tienda.

The moorings can be in the center and not trustworthy-like in Puerto Escondido ( or crowd outside) However, I'm in LA working- I would love to be back there! Moorings or not! LOL. Go across to dingy race through the mangroves at Amortajada. Fun times.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 22:10   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Cool Steve...Making the jump 10/31 with my friend from Alohaland. Bound for La Paz where I will hopefully find a dentist and get that process going. I sure got burned out on the dental quacks in the US. I hope it's true what they say and the cost is 1/3 of here...CS
We have a really nice dentist we've liked in La Paz if you need a good recommendation. My wife had a root canal for I think ~$120. This is the lady:

http://www.clubcruceros.net/index.ph...az-soldan.html

It's a 30 minute walk (or a 70p cab ride) from the marina.
Old 16-09-2013, 07:23   #35
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

when folks choose a busy and overused cruising area one will find moorings dropped by folks who seemingly never use them.

here, where no one spends summers--funny thing about the rain--- we havent this problem.
we also do not have extreme heat problems... our annual temp range is 10-15 degrees F--75 in winter as low and 92 in summer as highest i have seen so far, and as cooling down season is rapidly approaching, i dont anticipate more heat--only humidity.
so many folks refuse to sail mainland mexico, but they are only depriving selves of the best places mexico has to offer and beautiful scenery not to be found in deserts, which is what sea of cortez, aka golfo de california has to offer. we also havent the high miserable temperatures desert sun has to offer.
right now i am enjoying remnants of a dud furycame with a 80F air temp. it might get to be 85F by 1300.
life here is beautiful.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 07:30   #36

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Thanx Eric. I will differently check it out. I have a few other contacts in La Paz also. I will probably be stuck in La paz for a few months getting the work done.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 07:31   #37

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Charlotte's been reading me the updates of all the hell you guys have been going through. We're sweating our balls off up here in the Sea.

How about we go anchor at Punta Mita and long board surf some of those rollers? I would be SO down for a few days of that right now.
That is the finest idea that I have ever heard. Ever. Guacamole and chips and naranjada on the beach all day between surfs and then switch to beers and fajitas in the evening. Finish it off with a sunset paddle back out to our boats, rinse off and read in the hammock until bed time.
Somehow that sounds better than crawling around in the 130 degree bilges of an 86' steel paddle wheel boat plumbing hydraulics and pulling wires.
Old 16-09-2013, 07:34   #38

Quote:
Somehow I prefer dentists that treat you well, are available, give you their cell number and charge you something fair to the US dentists that verbally abuse you while they stretch your rectum beyond it's limits.
Old 16-09-2013, 07:41   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

Sounds like you are crying about anchoring your boat in a foreign country in someone else's back yard. Really. If it was your mooring ball you would probably see the sense in it.
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 07:56   #40

work is less pricey and dentists are less pricey down the lane here----but no one will ever know this as yáll dont bother to get here. this is MEXICO.
you guys are playing in gringoville. come on down and appreciate the place--you will be sooo amazed at the pricing and the technology here, closer to mexico city and guadalajara.
so it rains. big deal--we have more temperate climate than desert baja any and every day of week
the best ever injection pump rebuider is close to my locale--dont even try to do this in baja gringoville---
my injector pump and my ift pump an dmy transmission heat exchanger rebuilt--all 3-- for UNDER 300 usd. is actually 2973 pesos----rodlmao--and exchange rate favors me impressively--i pay in pesos--therefore the price, with 12.9 as rate of exchange, is under 250 usd..

so-you guys remain up there in gringoville and dont come here and ruin my fun.
i love it here--i am totally refitting my boat here... major work being done...for only 1/10 what you will pay in la paz and gringoville.
there are also many perkins and westerbeke parts available here as buses and forklifts and tractors all use these engines. i am in heaven for boat repair.

and we willnot even mention hard woods and pricing.....snerk.....

and IFF you know how to do it, this is one of the best anchorages i have found yet. th eholding sukks if you do not do it barra style....
Old 16-09-2013, 08:04   #41

I paid $900.00 for my Cav pump and injectors to be rebuilt stateside. The damned kit for the pump is about $30.00!
See you soon, Z.
Old 16-09-2013, 08:04   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by rourkeh View Post
Sounds like you are crying about anchoring your boat in a foreign country in someone else's back yard. Really. If it was your mooring ball you would probably see the sense in it.
You're assuming I would put one down in the first place, which I wouldn't. If I want to keep my boat somewhere long term, I'd haul it out and put it on a stand. If I want to leave it short term, I'd anchor or dock it.

The only times I've touched a mooring in ~10 years of sailing has been managed fields.
Old 16-09-2013, 08:07   #43

Quote:
That is the finest idea that I have ever heard. Ever. Guacamole and chips and naranjada on the beach all day between surfs and then switch to beers and fajitas in the evening. Finish it off with a sunset paddle back out to our boats, rinse off and read in the hammock until bed time.
Somehow that sounds better than crawling around in the 130 degree bilges of an 86' steel paddle wheel boat plumbing hydraulics and pulling wires.
Dude I'm on it. We're bouncing from here as soon as the hurricane season is over, dropping into La Paz to pick up a new mainsail I had made (FANCY, EH!?!?) , and then hopefully getting a downwind run all the way to Bahia de Banderas.

If you need any marine odds and ends that you can't fly back in with let me know. If you can ship them to La Paz (or I can buy them there for you), I can toss on the boat and take across the Sea.
Old 16-09-2013, 08:09   #44

moorings here in mexico can be had but they are only 1500 pound and not that which will hold a boat in a storm situation . i would anchor in mangroves first. here that can be done for a year without any problem.

good luck with your mainsail. eric--as mikee screwed up more sails than made decently. i hope your sail was made elsewhere and shipped in so it will be reliable, if not use-able.

the jib he made me is crap and unusable--i am hoping hogin sails returns soon to again redo it and fix a mizzen. that is only 300 miles on a sail that should have been good fro much longer time.
Old 16-09-2013, 08:12   #45

Quote:
Thanx Eric. I will differently check it out. I have a few other contacts in La Paz also. I will probably be stuck in La paz for a few months getting the work done.
It's not a bad place to be stuck, except July-September.

Do you have a marina reservation yet? We split from Marina La Paz about a month ago and they told us the fall has been fully reserved for a long time now.

Tags
mooring