Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2008, 08:25   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Anchoring for Dummies - Partner Style

Ok - So yesterday we went out and had an awesome afternoon. This time of year, during the southwest monsoon, the winds are iffy. Yesterday we had great winds and eventually had the genny furled in on the way back - We did hull speed all day.

I think I have told you all that one of our sailing areas is right below the flight path to Changi airport. Well the A380 went over yesterday and we prepared for the "wake turbulence." My partner was running the genny sheets and wasn't quite quick enough. We thought that the wake missed us but at the last second we heard the wind cracking and I blew the main. In blowing the genny sheet he caught his hand and bent his wrist back double. Didn't break it but it was a real owie.

Anyway that's the prelude. Today we decided to run down to this little beach place about 2-3 miles away. They were having an event called Jet Ski Jam and wanted boats to turn up and anchor out. My partner had been there 2 times before, grounding the boat once and having to get towed off, but he negotiated a 15% discount for any boats from our club so that is cool. He also doesn't like our 18 kilo anchor and 6 meters of chain so he picked up a little claw anchor about 5 pounds and 18 inches in diameter. I was very leery...

Well with a bum wrist he was skipper today and we try not to question each others decisions too much unless loss of life is imminent - LOL.

We approach the place - after a great sail in 15 knot breezes, and without a dinghy the plan is to swim to shore. Not too bad and the kids think it will be fun. We drive past a row of power boats towards shore and I ask, "Skipper. How close are you going in? The tide's running out."

"A little further. She'll be right. I've been here before."

We run in to about 2.7 meters. We touch bottom at 1.4. I throw this puny hook in the water (Our boat goes close to 3,000 lbs). Of course it drags and shows us the current is running a knot or 2. I worry about the kids swimming to shore. I throw the big hook, my partner calls me a chicken. OK, I'm an alive chicken and my boats not floating away.

Everyone dons life jackets and its about a 150 meters to shore. I stay aboard while he swims to shore with the kids. I figured if something goes wrong I could do something to maneuver the boat. Anyway everyone gets to shore and we have a rally good time watching the jet skis and having a really late lunch.

We get back and it looks really close. The boat appears to be floating but barely. We get to the boat and I am standing on the bottom! I dive on the keel. The front of the keel is touching and the aft end is afloat by about 6 inches. It very soft mud so I think we have a shot.

I pull the toy anchor up and clean it off. We take the opportunity to dive on the bottom and wipe it down. Our new antifouling is doing great. Just some slime.

Somehow we've pivoted the boat so the stern is pointing into the channel. This is good, we'll back off straight into deep water. The anchor rode also trails towards the stern. This is good - I can haul back over the anchor and then I'll haul it straight up. I get a good purchase on the rode and start pulling the heavy anchor in - the boat moves off the mud. The rode goes vertical off the forward beam - I think we are over the anchor. John starts backing down - oh crap the boat is going sideways and the rode is pulling out of my hand...

Oh, darn. The rode is wrapped around the keel. Neutral - shut down - I dive in. I unwrap the rode. I get aboard quick so the boat doesn't drift aground. Fire up the engine.

Now the rode points towards the anchor. Out front not out back! Probably in about 6 inches of water - LOL.

"OK - I will pull us in. You watch depth. If we get to 1.4m or we touch we'll back down, float the anchor and get it tomorrow. If I can get the anchor up great."

2.0...1.8...1.6...1.4 - phhhhlllloooooop! the anchor breaks loose! "Back her down. Let's get outta here. I am still hauling muddy yuckie chain. I wrestle everything into the locker as we are motoring. I look like I have been wrestling pigs. I call for a "man overboard" drill and John slows the boat and I dive in for a bath.

We motored back as I was too pooped to sail and drank a couple of well deserved beers.

New rule - If the skipper parks the boat in a stupid spot the skipper gets to dive on the anchor and sh#t. Even if his hand is mangled - LOL...

(PS - Still beats the hell outta working)
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2008, 12:19   #2

Send a message via AIM to sluissa
sounds like a fun day despite the mishaps. I love reading stories like this while I'm sitting here not doing the homework I need to be doing.
sluissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2008, 14:15   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Yuk Dan! ….that mud has some real “history” …. Lol

My favorite Anchoring for Dummies” question is;

“When you put the anchor in the water, …… does it go all the way to the bottom?”
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2008, 15:10   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
My favorite is..."Its touching bottom now, why isn't it holding?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2008, 17:35   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
My favorite is..."Its touching bottom now, why isn't it holding?

I like, "I thought you tied the rode off to the boat"
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring