Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 15-01-2013, 08:37   #346

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore
Re: Attempted Trip to Bermuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I would also do that as would take out any real need to sail to Bermuda, at least this year. Maybe have a crack at the Bahamas first or simply the East Coast of the USA? (the warmer bits!).
Charleston is nice.
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 08:45   #347

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Dial 1-441-295-5151, Ext 1941,--and say "can you help me etc,etc--" Bermuda Immigration, Passport Div.
Old 15-01-2013, 09:09   #348

Boat: Sabre 28
What impresses me is that homeland being presented with an out of the norm situation responded with common sense. There is hope after all.
Old 15-01-2013, 09:13   #349

Not an advice, just an observation:

Being legally married to a US citizen, makes one eligible for the US citizenship. The process of naturalization takes 6 to 12 months and can be initiated online ... or one can try to go first to China, Bermuda, Moon, and risk the denial of entry to the USA again. Sounds like the proverbial forest for the trees dilemma ...
Richard_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 09:30   #350
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
Please, lets not give any advice on immigration.
This is a sailing thread and forum and BlackOak lives with his immigration issues.
He wasn't asking advice, he was giving an explanation.

The title to this thread is "attempted trip to bermuda". It has been a great thread for many as well as for people considering getting into cruising.
I take your point, but nonetheless the subject (in general) relevant to both OP and others - including in relation to the initial learning curve. Remove the "need" for a trip to Bermuda and the learning curve gets much easier .

Also gotta remember that folks here will have a lifetime of crossing borders experiance, some with "funny" stories attached - personally I would feel very uncomfortable about (re)entering the USA without the correct paperwork, no matter that a previous experiance worked out OK - a "no" and a fook off (back "home" to Bermuda) would really ruin the day , especially if it also got me a black flag for a future attempt at sorting out the paperwork...........Of course what OP does (and is comfortable with) is entirely down to him - but IMO merit in at least flagging it up as a very real concern for others simply reading. Easy to overassume (on a variety of subjects) that what is simply conveniant is also true.

and perhaps worth mentioning - that whilst down the Eastern USA might not seem like "real" cruising (to someone in the US) gotta remember that pretty much wherever you are in the world that some folks will have sailed halfway around the world just to visit . and more will simply have dreamed of doing so but never made it. "you" are already there . So enjoy .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 10:16   #351

Boat: Concordia Yawl 39'

Hah! I was right. The passport thing was just an excuse for the adventure. (I'm not right often so excuse me for trumpeting it). Go to the Bahamas. Charleston is great but you can't beat a tropical destination and water.
chuckt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 11:04   #352

Even a broken clock is right, twice a day! But trumpet away. I do.

He needs a valid passport to clear in the Bahamas, though. I agree it is a very nice destination and a very good first foreign one.
Old 18-01-2013, 19:58   #353

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Black Oak- En Cuba por dos semanas, sin conexion a internet.

Have to admit I skimmed much of it, except your entries Black Oak. I appreciate the paragraphs, makes it much easier to read. Your self-effacing narrative -- poking fun at yourself -- is pretty hilarious, and many of us can relate to some of what you're talking about, even if we experienced it at a slower pace or a slightly different version.

First time I went in 45 degree water without a wetsuit, a fouled prop stood between me taking my kids on a late fall cruise. I had blown back out of my slip into the fairway only to find I had no power. I managed to make it over to a slip without too much fuss and then dove on the prop. It sucks down there when it is cold and dark, and does feel like a long way down. Your comments about only being a few inches below the surface are just beyond funny. My kids cheered me on as I kept going below for another pass at the indignant critters. BTW, make sure you wear good gloves while your down there. A guy in our neck of the woods had to amputate some digits after an infection from a simple barnacle cut on his hand. Don't lose any sleep over it though. Now I go below, year round, and it is just a basic boat chore. On a recent family cruise I slurped up a crab pot in a channel and was dead in the water. I pitched out the stern anchor, bumped it in reverse a couple of times, then grabbed a mask and a knife and cleared the prop when the reversing didn't do it. Just being comfortable with it meant I didn't cut myself with a sharp-ass knife getting in the water, remembered to put the ladder down, and watched out for boats that might throw some wake and crack my coconut. No special skill there, but having been under there a hundred times, and having rehearsed that scenario in my mind a few times, means much better outcome.

You may not have liked sailing had you eased into it, and maybe you saved yourself a bunch of time and money figuring it out quickly. You sure did not waste any time getting out there, and yeah, you were lucky. Sailing takes a fair amount of planning to avoid problems, and an endless list of skills to to keep a boat running, particularly when you can't afford to pay someone to do it all for you. In hindsight, had your lessons come a little slower, a little less expensive, a little less uncomfortable, perhaps it would be more appealing. You need to have some perfect nights under the moon, eating oysters and drinking wine, or feasting on mahi belly meat, watching meteors and bioluminescence in the stream, hearing water stream past the hull as your boat - powered by wind - carries you to your destination. There is nothing like it, but unless you buy your way into it, there's no instant seamanship program. I mean buy a boat, a captain, etc. It is a lifelong pursuit and not an option for mere mortals to get 600-800 miles offshore without some significant experience really. Not being able to get fuel to your yanmar well offshore is bad news, meaning no batteries for communication, navigation, etc. Of course there are backups to all of this, but they take knowledge and experience.

This past summer I was singlehanding in the chesapeake, and made a run from the Annapolis area to Portsmouth with winds gusting to 35+ knots on my stern. My chartplotter and both my backup GPS units failed. What are the odds? I took a couple of piloting courses early on so it was no big deal, despite heavy commercial traffic coming at me all night. Because I was able to understand lights and use charts, it made it an inconvenience. Had my autopilot failed, it would have been even more of an inconvenience, trying to read charts in 25-35 knots and a steep seaway. Not having a headlamp or waterproof cover can make or break you there. Nothing special about me or my skills, but a series of experiences, some really unpleasant, made it easy for me to decide to consciously put out to sea in those conditions and then solve the problems calmly as they arose. Five years ago it would have been much more stressful, but I did know more or less when I should not be out there. I guess anyone can jump on a boat and pull some strings and push some buttons and go here and there, and plenty do. Actually having fun at it and not endangering yourself or others is another story, and takes some real effort to learn it all.

I'm glad you posted, and wanted to respond. It is natural that you'll have some critics, I mean a ton of people have read this now. The nice thing about a forum like this is you can learn from others mistakes too, but precious few advertise their mistakes like you did. Good luck with whatever you do next. If you back off a little and adjust your expectations, you might have some fun at it. At the very least you've made some new friends and have some hilarious stories. My wife was nearly in tears hearing about you being a few inched below the water but feeling like you were surveying the bottom. It is funny to her because she witnessed much of my learning first hand and a lot of it wasn't that funny at the time - especially for her.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 21:37   #354

Black Oak,

Great thread and it's very entertaining and honestly, most of us have been there and you're just open and honest about it.

I believe that you clearly get that you are not up to a trip to Bermuda. I flew on C130's in the Coast Guard and we rescues (and sometimes didn't) seasoned sailors out there.

Enjoy the coastal cruising and keep learning. When you're ready, you won't have to ask here. Yo will know as you will fully understand your boat and what needs to be done. Volunteer for some racing/crewing, no better way to learn about sailing.
HeartsContent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 21:53   #355

Boat: OPB
Racing is a great way to learn more a out what the limits are, and how to tell when you are brushing up against them, as is often the case when racing. Cruisers tend to try and avoid those extremes where as racers try to mange the razors edge. I enjoy both, so I can definitely say there is lot to be learned dancing on the razors edge. It is also much more fun on OPB's where it's the captains decision to destroy their equipment not you and yours. You can learn a lot in big winds on big boats, I highly recommend it to everyone.
I.Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 15:25   #356

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Just a little update, Blackoak is back on the water road today, he shoved off from Marco Island around 10AM. I asked if he had decided to go the shark river route or direct to Key West. He said he hadn't made up his mind, and he would see how it felt.

Keep an eye out for "ANNA" his boat name. I am sure he will have more experiences for us in a few day.

Good luck BO.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 15:38   #357

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 37 & 1990 MacGregor 26 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Just a little update, Blackoak is back on the water road today, he shoved off from Marco Island around 10AM. I asked if he had decided to go the shark river route or direct to Key West. He said he hadn't made up his mind, and he would see how it felt.

Keep an eye out for "ANNA" his boat name. I am sure he will have more experiences for us in a few day.

Good luck BO.
Thanks for the update. Looks like the wind is suppose to be out of the east to NE to north the next two days. If he doesn't mind going overnight Key West might be easier than to Little Shark,

Sum
Sumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 15:42   #358

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

So he is just going to "wing it"?
Maybe he is a true sailor at heart.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 18:55   #359

Quote:

Good luck BO.
Ah, well, good then. He has become a sailor.
Old 20-01-2013, 19:15   #360

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Quote:

Good luck BO.
Is he going to Marathon? Would like to meethim!

Tags
Bermuda, bermuda