Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2021, 15:55   #1

Location: On the Beachs of Super Sunny Southern California USA
Send a message via ICQ to tallship Send a message via AIM to tallship Send a message via Yahoo to tallship Send a message via Skype™ to tallship
Lightbulb Best handbook in the world - bar none!

If you're a serious liveaboard, cruiser, or just want to sound salty and appear to know what you're talking about (Or want to actually KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT lolz), then there's one book which I can wholeheartedly recommend to anyone and everyone that has withstood the test of time:

Royce's Sailing Illustrated - You can get it at any of the more popular bookstores that are either online or brick and mortar, so to speak.

You can also find it intermittently at GoodWill and other re-run stores, or your local chandlery in used, previous editions (although they have a habit of disappearing rather quickly).

This IS NOT a cover to cover book! But a handbook to dog-ear and reference, or provide light reading during night night time as you fall asleep, or for many, to definitively bring an end to a passionate debate.

The best way, I've found, to use and harness the wealth of knowledge within the pages of this compendium of knowledge is to simply thumb through, and go, "Oh! (or rather, eww, shiney!), I'd like to know that...." and start reading from there, then fold the corner over of that page if you know you'll need to reference it later (coz, yeah, the table of contents really sux).

You may find that it suits you best to pick up additional copies and editions either as collection items or just so others don't deface your primary, taped together copy when they suddenly become enthralled with the wealth of knowledge it imparts to even the most casual reader.

I've never recommended this book to anyone who was serious about augmenting their knowledge and vocabulary of sailing and regretted doing so.

AFAIK, it's required bookshelf real estate on any sailing vessel.

I hope that helps!

What are your thoughts and experiences on this topic?

Kindest regards,
tallship is offline   Reply With Quote