Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2009, 09:22   #16

Boat: Columbia 45 / Iroquois 30
ya know that you can get an electronic dip stick replacement it also can sense water intrusions, viscosity levels, oxidation etc. and can send data to a bluetooth/usb device so you can monitor and chart oil performance. Its like 1800 bucks from intellistick.com
sushirama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 15:57   #17

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
I've got to rebuild the shaft log anyway so pulling the shaft out is part of the deal. Once thats done I suspect I can get the tranny off easy enough and check out the rear main seal. Im inclined to agree that thats what it is. Its a Volvo Penta MD-17c by the way.

From what I can see there is a fair bit of room behind the engine, I just need to get the access opened up so I can climb in and work on it. I had the water pump rebuilt when I bought her as it was leaking and the mechanic (Robert at Puddle Duck in Toronto) is a fairly small fellow. He was cussing a blue streak working on that.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:07   #18

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I'mnot sure I'd want a float switch in the oil pan. More stuff to break--and potentially jam the inlet line or get eaten by the camshaft and bearings as it bounces around at the worst possible moment. I think I'd rather have a solid-state sensor screwed in, drain hole plug style.
Good point. I hadn't thought of that possibility. Is there a screw in solid state sensor? I would rather use something like that too.
Thanks

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:36   #19
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Dunno, Claus, except for the drain-plug-temperature type.

I suppose it should be possible to make one that would replace the dip stick, but with marine engine usually being tilted and levels being somewhat,um, idiosynchratic? Someone somewhere out there must make one. Or we need to start up a factory, fast.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 21:59   #20

Boat: Catalina 36 Mk1
Murphy alarm systems, You can buy level sensor, that can be used on any liquid, and the correct oil pressure sensor, that will go off when oil pressure drops to low. Many motors will still live, even when run at 5 psi. The commerical boat I work on all have level sensors on all the systems.
burrowsmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 22:03   #21

Boat: Catalina 36 Mk1
Murphy level sensor is mounted via a hose, connected to the drain plug, then mounted at the level you want it to stay above. The trick is to find a spot to mount the sensor at the correct level. A switch NO or NC, then can be connected to a buzzer, etc.
burrowsmark is offline   Reply With Quote