Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2009, 21:35   #1

Coming Out of Winter Hibernation

I used to be pretty active on this board, and then sort of fell off for a while due to getting married (woot!) and then winter set in. Sure, it's a San Diego winter, but it's still colder, wetter, and shorter in day length.

This weekend was beautiful, and we got the interior back in order. Just wanted to say hello to anyone that I used to talk to on here, and let you know that I'll slowly but surely be getting back into the sailor swing of things.

Hope all is well for those I used to talk to a lot (ssulivan and tao jones come to mind first),

Eric
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 22:02   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Welcome back, Eric! You've been missed!

Congratulations on doing the honorable thing and making an honest woman out of your beautiful lady. Please accept my sincere wish for a long, happy life together.

So, yeah, I'm still here - but as for Sean, well, you missed a lot of drama. He not only left to start his own board, he was excised from the member roster! I don't know the whole story, but a lot of what went on happened in Private Messages with the powers-that-be, I think.

Anyway, Captain Sully is no longer posting on CF - at least not as ssullivan. I suppose he could have re-registered under a new name. I don't know the name of his board, but I don't think it would remain posted long even if someone put it up.

Chuck Baier left in a huff, as well, and that may have been related to the whole thing with Sean. That's just a guess - none of it involved me - but at least he's still listed on the member roster. Wheels is gone, too, but the membership roster here just keeps growing apace.

Someone recently joined the board and stated he was seriously interested in an HC33. I referred him to you, but that was probably a couple of months ago, now that I think about it. His name was Bill, I think, and he's from somewhere in the south, like Kentucky.

So, again, welcome back, my friend. Your valuable input is something newcomers here will quickly learn to look forward to.

TaoJones
Old 01-03-2009, 23:18   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Welcome back Rebel, apart from getting married, what did you do with all that "free" time you must have had by being away from CF?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:31   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post

So, again, welcome back, my friend.

TaoJones
Heck of a nice reception to come back to; really. Thank you.

I've been on my share of message boards, and am familiar with the schisms that flare up every few years. I hate to say it but I find the drama to be very entertaining. I'll look up Sean and see where he's at; regardless of message board divisions he seemed like a really swell guy.

Last winter I got a bit depressed because I fought the winter itself. I kept trying to operate like it was summer, and got annoyed at how many of my projects were getting sidelined, and how difficult it was to work in wet conditions with short days.

This winter I just went along with the ride, and focused on cooking, having fun, and realizing that there isn't a lot of work to be done when it's raining buckets for several days straight.

It seems like there are a lot more people on here now, and I've got my work cut out for me getting to know the new folks.

I'm going to go make some threads about how bad roller furling is now
Old 02-03-2009, 11:32   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Welcome back Rebel, apart from getting married, what did you do with all that "free" time you must have had by being away from CF?
Thanks; good to be back.

I wrote a boat load of software (my day job, and my little company I've been starting), got married, and have been enjoying life for the most part. How have you been?
Old 03-03-2009, 00:18   #6
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
.....How have you been?
Same old, same old, wasting time on CF , wasting time at work , wasting time renovating the home , and not spending enough time on the re-fit.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:55   #7
Kai Nui

Hey Rebel Heart. Welcome back!
Old 03-03-2009, 10:18   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Nui View Post
Hey Rebel Heart. Welcome back!
Hey there! How you been? Sorry for being off the map; as we talked about, it happens to the best of us.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:25   #9
Kai Nui

It is the nature of our lifestyle. Those who disappear for awhile, and come back, are usually the most committed to sailing. I am sure you have a few PM's to address Since you are back on the grid again, I will have to look you up next trip down.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:53   #10

Boat: Beneteau 36.7
Hey Eric - hows that deck looking? The weekend was indeed lovely, we had a blast sailing down into Mexican waters, watching dolphins and whales and coming back past the nighttime San Diego lights.... get those sailing legs back on!
theonecalledtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 14:49   #11

Boat: Cal 39, Karma
Rebel heart...welcome back. You were one of the first to welcome me to the forum when I joined last year and I was wondering what happened to you.
jim
jimking100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 14:51   #12
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Good to have you back, Reb! Congrats on getting married!
Old 03-03-2009, 17:52   #13
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I used to be pretty active on this board, and then sort of fell off for a while due to getting married (woot!) Eric
You married Woot? Or Charlotte? Charlotte is nice Congratulations!!We are in the Whitsunday Islands. Nic the never to be married is trying to make me cut her hair... so she is looking a bit like a demented dragon..... Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote