Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 09:01   #1

Boat: DownEast 38 cutter
Complete loss of power around Mendocino pt CA

The weather wasn’t great- 20 to 27 knots with 3-4 meter waves and a general confused sea. Not at all what was predicted on any weather map, even the the weather broadcast over our radio said 7knots with 2-3 meter waves. Oh well, we all know that weather is what it is and you just deal with what your dealt. It was about 5pm and we pulled the sails in because we didn’t know how much worse it was going to get and with the waves knocking us around the sails we’re swinging hard with all the rolling. We had just brought in the main and Genoa when there was the dreaded alarm- either secondary bilge alarm or power. It was the BMS for our lithium batteries. I took over the helm, we were hand steering at that point as the autopilot couldn’t keep up with all the different wave directions. I noted our compass heading and held to it while my husband went below to see if he could figure out what was happening. He grabbed flashlights and my phone so we had intermittent chart plotter info. Then as the sun faded the fog moved in and the light for our compass stopped working!! I put on an led head light so I could read the compass and keep our 120 degree heading and keep off shore. Unfortunately, no power ment no running or steaming lights so we did 2-3 hour watches, hand steering as no autopilot, and sharp eye out for other boats since we had no radar. After about 6 hours, my husband switched our power over to the starter battery and we had power and all instruments for the final 3 hours. It took 30 minutes to discover the next day, that a loose electrical connection had overheated and caused the BMS to shut down the battery bank. We replaced the slightly melted wire and made sure it was tight and sanded the light switch connection for the compass light and all was good. Some things to think about? Make sure your flashlights are all charged as well as your phones. Phone batteries don’t last very long when having use GPS or your chart plotter apps. I now have our B&G chart plotter app on my phone because previously I figured it wasn’t necessary as my husband had it on his, but with no way to charge phones we needed mine after his went dead.
Robinms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:33   #2

Boat: Bavaria 35E
Re: Complete loss of power around Mendocino pt CA

Close call and some good lessons were learned. Thanks for passing them along. Glad you're around to fight another day!
nightowle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, power