Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2007, 19:58   #31
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Just went outside and smelled the weather. Wind almost calm. Very pleasant night.
Not sure where the 27 knots and building is coming from.

Just to make sure I am not smoking crack I checked the latest conditions for Ft. Lauderdale on the official FAA site:

METAR KFLL 170153Z 07009KT 10SM FEW027 26/19 A2994 RMK AO2 SLP138 T02610189 PNO

Looks very benign from the safety of my keyboard, but be carful out there.
Old 16-05-2007, 21:00   #32

wahoo, you say of going out in 6 foot seas in the gulfstream, 'That little bit of "oops" nearly cost us our lives' ?? i understand you say it was blowing hard and also understand why you might turn back; but your boat, (and you), should be ready and capable of dealing with rough stuff; what will you do when you're caught out? as far as a forecast for 5-10 knots being perfect; i would find that a bit light for sailing, and the diminishing to 5 or less a real drag. i do hope you are not planning on motoring the whole way; the gulf stream is one of the most beautiful stretches of water i've ever sailed, and unless you are sailing, you will hear and experience none of it. i too have a little boat, (one foot shorter than yours), and i really approach these kind of passages from a completely different perspective. i don't travel with a pack of boats, it has never made sense to me safety or enjoyment wise. it surely makes no sense strategy wise as it involves accepting the group decision, and continuing to accept group decisions when underway; something i wouldn't consider for a second. csy man, i think all your advise has been spot on for crossing the gulf stream, though i prefer to leave at sunset and know that i will arrive in daylight. i've found that the water is rough in the start from florida and often much better a few hours out. everyone has there own style, as you say wahoo, and i hope one day you find your window.
little boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2007, 21:56   #33

Quote:
though i prefer to leave at sunset and know that i will arrive in daylight.
Yeah, I have done those as well.

Nowadays I am too lazy sail at night.
Found a way to sail to the Bahamas in daylight and even check in and do the paperwork the same day.

When I bought my ship and moved to Ft. Lauderdale back in 1998/99 I listened to the local experts as far as crossing the stream and entering the Bahamas:

You have to leave at night so as to arrive in daylight...Much safer they said.

Roger, yes, did that, done that.

The stream is calm at night in settled weather. Not much traffic, yet some big arse tankers come yer way at a pretty good clip.

It interfers with my sleep cycle however. My wife is not a night owl either, althought she has been standing watches now and then.

Being a pilot I am used to flying at night and sometimes doing 30 t0 40 hour duty days (and nights)

It is perfectly legal by the graveyard agency called the FAA.
And I sure can do it with 500 passengers on my plane, legally and all... .

On my OFF days I prefer to sleep at night and sail by day:

Leave No-Name @ 0500, arrive Bimini harbour 1630, go in and tie up. Check in with custom and immigration and be free and clear by 1700 local time.

Take a cooler and a couple of towels to the beach..Hang out untill the sun goes down.
Enjoy the best and clearest water within 50 NM of Florida.

Go back to the marina, take a shower and shave..Another cocktail on the boat, then head to the local "restaurant" for cracked conch and rum/coke..

Stumble back to vessel, sleep good and pull away next day at slack tide.

No reason to sail at night unless ya are on a tight schedule.

Have done it and will do it again if the window calls for it and if I have a good crew. (No cake walk crossing the Stream at night..Big fast vessels coming your direction without a warning..Other strange things, but mostly easy stuff...Look-Out is good.Very good)
Old 16-05-2007, 22:19   #34

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
In the summer in Florida there is afternoon thunder storms. These are rare at night and in the morning. This would be a good reason to cross starting at midnight.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2007, 22:50   #35

Quote:
In the summer in Florida there is afternoon thunder storms. These are rare at night and in the morning. This would be a good reason to cross starting at midnight
Them Florida thunderstoms usually comes from land, not from sea.

I have crossed a few times a night, but not because of thunderstorms or the lack off.

Thunderstorms don't sink sailboats...
Old 17-05-2007, 03:33   #36

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
We will cross day or night if there's a window. A twelve hour window is plenty. We usually leave from Government Cut or, if we're down in Biscayne Bay, from the channel just south of No Name. Always head for North Rock, with GPS it's pretty easy and the light is lit more often than most Bahamian lights. The North Rock route is easiest for getting onto the Bank at night. By the time we get across the wind is often in the North by then but it's fine for going across the Bank and down to Nassau. If the Tongue of the Ocean is not cooperating we'll hide behind Frazers Hog Cay for a day or two. On a good trip it's only 30 hours or so from Miami to Nassau.
Old 17-05-2007, 07:07   #37

Boat: Passport 615. Renovatio.
I understand no one likes to have a rought trip but I have a question.... Does the size of the boat allow for more "open windows" to choose from? Say a 60ft bluewater capable boat.
michael201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2007, 07:47   #38

the attempt at crossing the gulf stream that wahoo refers to has caused some controversy at http://abacomessageboard.com/, (go to missing boater found). it seems that the old guy who pushed on without informing the rest of the gang was reported to the cg by those that turned back. this is a good example of why buddy boat consensus causes confusion, worry and misinformation.
little boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2007, 06:19   #39

Looks like a good window since last night...wind under 10K on both sides of the stream now and nothing heavier predicted till tomorrow.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2007, 22:29   #40

CSY how specifically can you do a 30-40 hour day under FAA regulations?
chris_gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2007, 22:56   #41

Quote:
CSY how specifically can you do a 30-40 hour day under FAA regulations?
No limitations on duty time for International pilots under the present FAA regulations.

Ya can be awake for 100 hours and be very legal.

Also called the "Graveyard Agency".

Call your Congressman and complain.
Old 19-05-2007, 02:12   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
CSY indicates that there are no limitations on duty time for International pilots under the present FAA regulations.

Is this due to an absence of regulation on Int’l Pilots, or is there a specific (exception) reference in Title 14, part 121 ?

Domestic rule summary:
1000 hours in any calendar year
100 hours in any calendar month
30 hours in any 7 consecutive days
8 hours between required rest periods
Rest for scheduled flight during the 24 hours preceding the completion of any flight segment:
9 consecutive of hours rest for less than 8 hours scheduled flight time
10 hours rest for 8 hours or more, but less than 9 hours scheduled flight time
11 hours rest for 9 hours or more scheduled flight time
many exeptions ...

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2007, 03:39   #43

Gord:
Ya are listing the Domestic FLIGTH time limitations, not the International DUTY time limitation.
Old 19-05-2007, 05:48   #44

Boat: Cape Dory 28, "Night Wind"
I started this thread in an effort to help keep fellow forum members safe while crossing the Gulfstream. The information provided by some other forum members has ranged from silly ... to downright dangerous. In an effort to keep others safe, I am asking the moderators to remove this thread, so that others will not follow the bad information provided here.
Bob
Wahoo Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2007, 06:10   #45

Hey Bob...since when does the starter of a thread get to determine where it goes and have the right to remove others comments??
There's the usual amount of silliness and off topic stuff here but there is also good info and since you haven't even CROSSED the stream despite several good opportunities...what makes you the expert on "downright dangerous" advice?
I say leave the thread open.
There are plenty of folks here with good experience to help others plan for a crossing and when specific questions are asked, the thread will get back on track.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote