Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2016, 15:03   #121

Re: Dating sites for sailors looking for companionship and love

Just to report back on that lovesail site that someone here recommended . I posted on there and got a couple of friends, but then came a friend rejection. Didn't think my posting was that bad. It's as bad as the match.com site even though 11 years ago I met someone on that site who I would have quit sailing for, but she would have never wanted me to stop sailing. Things are different today or maybe it's just me.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 04:28   #122

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Dating sites for sailors looking for companionship and love

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWalters View Post
Like previously suggested,I'd suggest starting or joining a Meetup group,or the local yacht/boat club. Volunteer.Won't get if you don't look.
Who knows?

I met my wife the second day she moved to my city.
It was one of things- we saw each other from across the room and that was it. We talked all day,half the night and she crashed on my couch.
I lied (to screen out possible opportunism) and told her that I was a part time hired captain for a 50' boat but that was actually mine.

Turns out she is from a boating/fishing family so loves nothing more than going out on the boat,is an absolute sweetheart,and ditched her modelling career as she didn't like it and she was too shy to be walking around on stage in a string bikini. No joke,Victoria's Secret was after her.

Anyways, the morning after we met,I asked her to marry me and she asked me what took so long LOL.
Were married 24 hours after we met,and have been inseparable since.

How bloody lucky can one guy get?

So it can happen,you have to get out,look and put out the positive vibes. We have noticed that most women walk around with arms crossed and RBF.
With their body language saying 'leave me alone" , they wonder why guys won't talk to them...
C'mon Dave ... you left out the part where she's a nymphomanical wealthy heiress AND that you've only been married for a week. Good story tho bro.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 09:21   #123
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

drat. no pukeemoji.
crabby one... plus 10 points for reality

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 09:35   #124

Boat: Freedom 38

C'mon Zee, love at first sight, soul mate, inseparable lovers? It does happen. And it's perfectly OK to be happy for those lucky devils Keeps my faith in romance intact.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 09:45   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
Just to report back on that lovesail site that someone here recommended . I posted on there and got a couple of friends, but then came a friend rejection. Didn't think my posting was that bad. It's as bad as the match.com site even though 11 years ago I met someone on that site who I would have quit sailing for, but she would have never wanted me to stop sailing. Things are different today or maybe it's just me.
Sooo, you got a friend rejection and why should that be an issue? Don't take it too personal. Maybe your profile is fantastic but she's shallow and doesn't like your hair color. In college, I used to watch a friend give any guy she wasn't interested in this withering look until he skulked away dejectedly. It was harsh to watch. I think those friend reject options online are much kinder...so, nothing ventured, nothing gained, right. There are plenty of other potential friends to click/swipe right on. Let us hear how it goes!
Old 30-10-2016, 11:14   #126
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
C'mon Zee, love at first sight, soul mate, inseparable lovers? It does happen. And it's perfectly OK to be happy for those lucky devils Keeps my faith in romance intact.
i know and have witnessed soulmates. there is no limitation nor splaination for them. they rock.
soulmate does not necessarily connote lifemate.

some are siblings or cousins or other closest friends.

i am particularly entertained by instant soulmates who cannot tolerate each other after 3 or 5 months......
there is a huge difference between soul mates and merely mutually smitten
ohyeah must not forget obsession.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 12:03   #127

Point taken, Zee. I didn't mean to imply that lust is a substitute for passion, love or devotion.
Old 30-10-2016, 12:10   #128

The rejection is not an issue, just an observation. Lord knows I've been rejected many times.
Old 30-10-2016, 12:47   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by manawatuman View Post
Well seeing I'm the Original Poster,
this is my thread and with the power vested in me, I hereby decree that I, "Manawatuman" sole owner of my universe and all whom sail in her, change thy thread name to "Rock The Boat" for singles to mingles.....

I'll start...
Hello ladies of the opposite sex. Im a 50yr old male about to embark on his 1st midlife crisis. After realizing life on land is crazy and repetitive I've decided to give it all up and sail the Caribbean in a life of no stress and total relaxation. I read the book.... looking for a positive girl who still sees the world as a enchanting mystical fabulous playground through innocent eyes. And can sail, navigate and do the weather forecast thingy.
OK, let's Rock this Boat just a bit, Manawatu from Australia. I'm really trying to help here, but too many tantalizing details have still not been said. Does FP stand for Fountaine Pajot? If I'm understanding your postings correctly, you have a boat (an FP 38?), and you've "read the book," and you are about to embark on a Caribbean sail out of Florida, but you live on the other side of the world. I'm actually from Florida, and so I'm not aware of many sailboats that cross the Gulf Stream with paying passengers. Most of them are actually Cruise Ships, so that's going to attract a different kind of woman, such as one who wears heals and makeup on a boat, but if you work it like Blue Crab, maybe you'll see some bidness. Not judging either way, because if you were smart, you booked your ticket on one of those set up for the single set and not the family cruiseline. But I'm still confused as to why you'd go looking in Florida on a cruise ship --- are there not any women in Australia -- a place that generates some of the best sailors in the world? Why do you need a woman who knows how to navigate and forecast the weather? Standards should not be lowered, but the bar might be a tad too high to start, unless you yourself can't sail. And what is it about this book you're referring to?

Sigh.

Maybe this is why these single sailor postings go nowhere (right, Mark?). There are just too many important details left out! Guys, if you're interested in finding a woman, in an online forum no less, and on a site containing a remarkably small (and mostly married) community, then you have to communicate a bit more fully. Step up your game just a little! What self-respecting woman with a dose of self-preservation would meet some stranger to take off on 200 square feet of mostly floating stuff perched on the edge of a big ocean halfway across the world? Give that a moment to sink in.

Seriously, Manawatu, my good man; I'm trying to help you understand the female perspective -- at least one one-hundredths of it
Old 30-10-2016, 13:40   #130

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha h aha
all men are sooo full of ****
they just looking for another possession.
ha h ah aha ha ha ha h haha ha
Look out Del, Z is on us!?? Our plan for extending male domination to the next century is being exposed
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 14:37   #131

Quote:
The rejection is not an issue, just an observation. Lord knows I've been rejected many times.
Lance, sorry for your loss recently. Dating forums are a time suck, and just suck in general, and the rejection process is painful, no matter what. I can assure you that the quality single women I know do not have it any easier and report the same frustrations I wish there was a better way. I recently read about a matchmaker who removes the computer algorithms that are currently used to try to match two people and replaces it by knowing each individual and understanding the type of person they are looking for....you know, just like that busybody grandmother who knew everyone in the neighborhood in time's gone past.
Old 30-10-2016, 15:13   #132

You know the interesting thing about most all these match type websites is how they have changed from a decade ago. I met Jeannie on match and prior to that I had more dates than I can count. Now 11 years later, I've met only two woman over coffee and both were going to come out for a sail after those meetings, but both cancelled at the last minute. People today seem more stand offish. It would be interesting if I put down a younger age and looking for younger women if that would make a difference or now that my income as stated is a lot less is impacting some responses no doubt. But then I'm not looking for that type of individual anyway. Whatever the pursuit in life there will be failures, but learning from those mistakes and never giving up is the key as is keeping a sense of humor. That being true in business endeavors as well seeking a partner to explore life with. My 2 cents.
Old 30-10-2016, 17:29   #133

Boat: FP 38

Quote:
Im finding Lovesail to be as fickle and icky as POF,
try crewbay, it doesn't have expectations. .
Old 30-10-2016, 17:53   #134

Boat: FP 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
OK, let's Rock this Boat just a bit, Manawatu from Australia. I'm really trying to help here, but too many tantalizing details have still not been said. Does FP stand for Fountaine Pajot? If I'm understanding your postings correctly, you have a boat (an FP 38?), and you've "read the book," and you are about to embark on a Caribbean sail out of Florida, but you live on the other side of the world. I'm actually from Florida, and so I'm not aware of many sailboats that cross the Gulf Stream with paying passengers. Most of them are actually Cruise Ships, so that's going to attract a different kind of woman, such as one who wears heals and makeup on a boat, but if you work it like Blue Crab, maybe you'll see some bidness. Not judging either way, because if you were smart, you booked your ticket on one of those set up for the single set and not the family cruiseline. But I'm still confused as to why you'd go looking in Florida on a cruise ship --- are there not any women in Australia -- a place that generates some of the best sailors in the world? Why do you need a woman who knows how to navigate and forecast the weather? Standards should not be lowered, but the bar might be a tad too high to start, unless you yourself can't sail. And what is it about this book you're referring to?

Sigh.

Maybe this is why these single sailor postings go nowhere (right, Mark?). There are just too many important details left out! Guys, if you're interested in finding a woman, in an online forum no less, and on a site containing a remarkably small (and mostly married) community, then you have to communicate a bit more fully. Step up your game just a little! What self-respecting woman with a dose of self-preservation would meet some stranger to take off on 200 square feet of mostly floating stuff perched on the edge of a big ocean halfway across the world? Give that a moment to sink in.

Seriously, Manawatu, my good man; I'm trying to help you understand the female perspective -- at least one one-hundredths of it
Oh deary me oh my. Well Gamayun, this thread is getting all too much, how much can a koala bear.
i originally asked for info on any external meeting sites for sailors, thats all. Not to get everyone's personal opinions on love n hate and queries on my plans.... but anyway i was surprised the interest generated.

Ill try and answer allyou points so diligently raised, if not, maybe over a drink in February )

1) "i read the book" refered to the previous sentence, i should have used a comer, ,,, in stead of a full stop.... refering to sress free life of cruising the carib, tongue in cheek,

2)as i mentioned previously, im flying to florida in feb to set sail the Caribbean on a fountaine pajot 38. I ment cruise, as in cruisers forum, not the Love Boat with shuffle board.
because I don't have enough time the sail from here in feb and make the season and get back by nov.

3)ive only done coastal sailing and need too pick up my game on weather forecasting over there and navigation, so was hoping tohave someone with experience, hence the sailors meeting site originally posted.
Ive dropped that idea as fantasy and over - complicated and sticking with CrewBay.

4) the high heels gag was just that, not ment to be taken seriously, seriously who wears heal on a yacht, except a couple of drag queens I know....

Thank you my fair and insightful lady, for you feedback on using a forum to find a woman, but again, that wasnt my intention, i was simply asking for some links, which has proved futile.
Only after you ask me to promote myself here, i did that post in jest.

Anyway, im out of breath after that long winded reply, hope it makes sense...
Old 30-10-2016, 20:46   #135

Alright, Mana, I can overly think these things at times. Sorry to have had to pry, but at least now you're pretty well vetted on CF. You also got game to be such a good sport through all of the questions and the life stories from the other posters. I wish you well on your upcoming cruise. There are some single ladies on this site, so ya never know, and you seem like a nice catch Let us know if you get lucky on the dating/crew sites, as well. That info might come in handy for the others here!

Tags
sail