Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2011, 17:07   #31
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Didn't Last Long . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnorv View Post
My family situations outgrew that size many years ago, and I've almost always had sailboats since then. As far as I know, Annapolis Maryland is far from tradewinds as is Washington. Beating several hundred miles against them may not be the OP's idea of a learning sail, maybe it was your first experiences, it certainly wasn't mine. It was many years of daysailing before I experienced the Trades.
Say what? I don't get your point? Doesn't matter what engine you have if you're gonna use it instead of sailin. Been there done that. OP if he wanted to go would go.

Try beating S to the carib against the gulf or an east coast sojourn from the NE to the S and we'll talk some more.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 17:10   #32

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Say what? I don't get your point? Doesn't matter what engine you have if you're gonna use it instead of sailin. Been there done that. OP if he wanted to go would go.

Try beating S to the carib against the gulf or an east coast sojourn from the NE to the S and we'll talk some more.
I understand most East Coast Americans think the world revolves around them
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 17:11   #33

Boat: mt34dt

Pull motor, dump it overboard, install water tank in place of motor. Strap a 12' oar on the back and sail her--anywhere.
zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 17:15   #34

Look at the bright side here ... since the boat will not sell in this economy, you still have your boat!!! Now, you just need to figure out how to reduce expenses and get the boat closer to home so you can work on it and let a little time pass to recover financially.
Bayside Bert28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 17:19   #35
cruiser

No, we just don't believe misaligned excuses.

Any engine can fail along route, so doesn't matter if its an inny or outy. You're gonna have to prepare to sail anyway. So, either strap her to a flatbed and get her home, or take her sailing. Lot easier to deal with an OB if you need to duck in somewhere (if you can duck that is).

Else, its not an engine issue at all. Its a boat that wasn't up for the task to begin with.

Endeavour - nice boat!
Old 23-05-2011, 18:25   #36

Boat: No boat, looking again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genomic View Post
I had almost exactly the same problems with my Triton 24. It was moored in Ross Ck (on one of the bouys behind the museum, exactly as yours is in the pic). I wanted to sail it home to the Sunshine Coast, but weather, repairs, and mechanical issues conspired against me. Eventually I had to bite the bullet and put it on a truck. . . .
Hi Genomic, I remember your boat. I talked with your two crew a couple of times, nice folk. I had heard you managed to get a truck but I had not heard if you got it down okay. Weather was a bit crazy there for a while, two cyclones and floods everywhere. Glad you finally managed to get it down safe.
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 18:37   #37

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnorv
I understand most East Coast Americans think the world revolves around them
Well actually and in no way do I mean to be boasting. I have noticed while stargazing that it appears the universe is revolving around me. Not scientific but I have observed this phenomenon enough times and so far can't prove my observations wrong. Just ran outside again. Sure enough looks like it's revolving around me.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 18:52   #38
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Well actually and in no way do I mean to be boasting. I have noticed while stargazing that it appears the universe is revolving around me. Not scientific but I have observed this phenomenon enough times and so far can't prove my observations wrong. Just ran outside again. Sure enough looks like it's revolving around me.
You must be from Toronto
Old 23-05-2011, 18:56   #39

Boat: No boat, looking again.

Wow, thank you all for your discussion. I did not think my thread would generate this amount of interest.

It is funny, I have bought and sold cars before but never felt the emotion as with thinking of selling this boat. After having scrubbed it from bow to stern inside and out (twice) and lived on board a few weeks, I feel quite intimate with it, if that makes sense. Is having an emotional bond with ya boat okay or do I need therapy? : )

On a different note, yesterday I did a quick trip in a dinghy down the Fitzroy River at Rockhampton to check out changes to sand banks. This is the river I would moor my boat on if it ever gets down here (or my next boat if I sell my current one). According to my mate, there is significant change with the sand banks.

The river is not always this calm! However, I could quite easily spend a week or two on the anchor relaxing, fishing, crabbing, avoiding crocodiles.

Water still quite fresh after flooding.

While some of the sandbanks are smaller in size, some are bigger.

It is not all mangroves.

troppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 20:22   #40
cruiser

gad thats beautiful.

dont sell the boat.
Old 24-05-2011, 01:56   #41
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troppo View Post
Wow, thank you all for your discussion. I did not think my thread would generate this amount of interest.

..... Is having an emotional bond with ya boat okay or do I need therapy? : )
M'maaate, you need therapy if you don't have an emotional bond with ya boat
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 00:29   #42

Thank you. I am just recovering from a 5th visit to West Africa following the path of lack of experience. Every time I go there full of hope. 'This time I only have to ...' only to find when I have done something else is wrong and the boat not safe to sail. Then the self recriminations- ' I should made a short voyage before completing the sail' (I did) 'should have stored the equipment better' (how was I to know the agent named in the West Africa Cruising note as reliable is a a thief and con merchant). A robbery a murder threat or two, many days wasted in the local police station and a murder later I still have not sailed. Why did I not follow my normal mantra ('cant walk to see before buying dont buy')? And with my new knowledge of boats and creek dwellers I have a new mantra. Sail it at least three times before thinking about buying.
GTHDREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote