Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2022, 12:59   #1

Boat: 1981 Pearson 365 ketch
Dinghy Dock Faux Pas

Is there some unwritten rule as to where the water taxi might have dibs at a dinghy dock?
July 2021, Edgartown Harbor, Martha's Vineyard (New England).
This was my first experience driving a dinghy through a crowded mooring field, watching for anchor lines and traffic, weaving my way towards a dinghy dock I couldn't as yet see, three aboard in my field of vision.
Rounding the last corner I saw dozens of dinghies tied to a couple of floating docks. Throttling back I approached a space just big enough to squeeze into when I was told to find a larger spot. This next spot was much closer to the beach and to the main dock. That's an odd bit of luck, I thought, maybe someone has just left. After we tied up I noticed a sign, probably about four dinghies away, for the water taxi. We left to explore the village.
A few hours later we returned to find our painter tied into the hugest mess of knots one could imagine. Obviously we had angered someone. Our outboard was down, prop in the water, so it wasn't that. Our painter shared the same piling that many others had tied to, and in a similar manner. Maybe local knowledge dictates the open corners belong to the water taxi? Maybe it had nothing to do with the water taxi, and somebody was just in a bad mood?

--Cheryl
NavyDave_andMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 13:13   #2

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: Dinghy Dock Faux Pas

Hi Cheryl, hard to say but I've tied up there many times. Did you tie up in a way that hindered another dinghy leaving? That's usually why you'll find a passive-aggressive retie on your return, to make a point. Otherwise I am stumped if you used the same space as other, unless it was into the taxi landing then all bets are off :-)

Just take it as another dinghy dock experience - no scars, all good, carry on.
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 13:16   #3

Are taxi landings marked, or is it assumed that I'd know that's what it was? I'm thinking that must have been it.
Old 03-04-2022, 13:20   #4

Boat: Valiant 42

Well it IS MV so everyone there assumes you know where the water taxi landing is, if it was clearly marked then how could the locals complain about the outsiders? welcome to new england
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 13:21   #5

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Lots of local, unwritten dinghy dock "rules" everywhere you go. It's always best to ask, if you can find anyone around. If not, try to do what everyone else did, even if it doesn't make sense to you at the time.

Be aware, however, that if you ask you might get an "official" answer, and still break some "unofficial" rule. Around here it's the commercial fishermen who make these unofficial rules. The harbormaster will tell you it's OK to tie up a "their" dinghy dock, but they don't agree, and will respond appropriately (i.e.; set your dinghy adrift.)
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 04:01   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I live part time on the Vineyard and crowded dinghy docks are just the nature the place. Generally avoid Edgartown in the summer as it the most crowded, most traffic and almost impossible to park.

And yes indeed there is space at the dock that is reserved for the launch service. Completely makes sense as it is a business that serves all the boats in the harbor, visitors and residents alike and is either associated with or pays rent to the harbor or business that owns the dinghy docks.

Can't recall how but I'm pretty sure it is marked and the space is reserved for their use.

In general since the dinghy docks in all the main harbors on the island are jammed the etiquette pretty much follows standard dinghy dock rules.

- Keep the motor down (so you got that one)
- Use a long painter so your dinghy can push back and leave space for others.
- Don't use a second line or cable with a lock that prevents the dinghy from pushing back.

So who was it that told you to find a bigger spot? Was it someone official or some clueless, entitled visitor that had a finders/keepers mentality? Again don't visit Edgartown that often but other harbors everyone just pushes in and ties off. I often have to climb over and through other dinghies to get to the dock.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 05:20   #7

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

Is it possible someone accidentally snagged your painter in their engine and tangled it up?
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 05:20   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
... - Keep the motor down (so you got that one)
- Use a long painter so your dinghy can push back and leave space for others.
- Don't use a second line or cable with a lock that prevents the dinghy from pushing back.

So who was it that told you to find a bigger spot? Was it someone official or some clueless, entitled visitor that had a finders/keepers mentality? Again don't visit Edgartown that often but other harbors everyone just pushes in and ties off. I often have to climb over and through other dinghies to get to the dock.
I used a small stern anchor, /w 10' of chain + rope, and a LONG painter, to keep my dink off the dock. Pull in, with anchor line taut, tie off painter, discharge passengers, push dink away, whilst exiting. The chain would keep the dingy well away from the dock, until I retrieved it.

If two bights or eye splices are to be placed over the same bollard, cleat, or winch, the second one must be led up through the eye of the first and then placed over the bollard. This makes it possible for either line to be cast off independently of the other and is called dipping the eye.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 05:46   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I used a small stern anchor, /w 10' of chain + rope, and a LONG painter, to keep my dink off the dock. Pull in, with anchor line taut, tie off painter, discharge passengers, push dink away, whilst exiting. The chain would keep the dingy well away from the dock, until I retrieved it.
We do similar at some docks and when beaching the dink as well but the docks on Martha's Vineyard not a viable technique. Problem there is the dinghy docks are in tight areas with limited maneuvering room all around so if the dink is too far off the dock you'll be in a fair way or block the access into the dinghy dock. And even with some chain very likely the anchor line would get snagged. Really one of the most crowded and messiest dinghy dock setups I've seen.

Quote:
If two bights or eye splices are to be placed over the same bollard, cleat, or winch, the second one must be led up through the eye of the first and then placed over the bollard. This makes it possible for either line to be cast off independently of the other and is called dipping the eye.

Can't recall exactly how Edgartown is set up but the dinghy dock in another harbor has no cleats nor bollards. Instead there's a 2x4 running the perimeter of the dock sitting on top of smaller 2x4 blocks every 3-4' like a very low railing. So you run your painter under and around the 2x4 to tie off. A lot of locals attach a snap shackle or similar to the end of the painter, then just around the 2x4 and clip it back to the painter.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 07:54   #10

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I can’t really answer if you were in the wrong spot, because I haven’t been there enough. However, it’s better to just have a really long painter and put your dinghy three rows back out to Sea, tying up to the same rail everyone else is tied to. Then you climb over all of the other dinghies to get ashore. That’s the most courteous way to do it in crowded New England docks in the summer.

The person that told you not to go into the crowd of dinghies was probably incorrect. And probably not from there. And probably a know it all nosy person. Lol
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 08:28   #11
mdc

Boat: 1982 Tayana 37 & 1961 Pearson Alberg 35

You can’t use this dock without handling other people’s boats. Long painter absolutely required.

It gets much more crowded than this. The port launch does not share this dock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	66BFF711-8D30-40D9-84EE-C679218EB981.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	447.8 KB
ID:	255468  
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 08:40   #12

Boat: Taswell 43

IF...its a private dinghy dock AND the water taxi pays a fee...then he's entitled. But, if it's a public dock and the water taxi pays nothing....that's a different situation completely. What I love is the "dinghy" that is 18'-20' long, or an aluminum or f/g runabout, with a 70-115hp outboard, and ties short! With limited dock space and a handful of these "dinghys???" there is no room for anyone else. They need to get a slip, and leave the dinghy dock....for dinghys!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 09:22   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcrazy View Post
IF...its a private dinghy dock AND the water taxi pays a fee...then he's entitled. But, if it's a public dock and the water taxi pays nothing....that's a different situation completely...
Many places, in Canada, have bus stops, and taxi stands, on public roadways. As these conveyances provide a public service, they’re not required to pay rental fees, for these privileges.
I don't see why public docks shouldn't have 'loading zones' reserved for pick up, and drop off, and even 'taxi stands', where applicable. Water taxis also provide a public service, in some areas.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 09:39   #14

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Many places, in Canada, have bus stops, and taxi stands, on public roadways. As these conveyances provide a public service, they’re not required to pay rental fees, for these privileges.
I don't see why public docks shouldn't have 'loading zones' reserved for pick up, and drop off, and even 'taxi stands', where applicable. Water taxis also provide a public service, in some areas.

I think it would depend on the water taxi's relationship with the municipality that owns the dinghy dock.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 17:17   #15

Quote:
So who was it that told you to find a bigger spot?...Again don't visit Edgartown that often but other harbors everyone just pushes in and ties off. I often have to climb over and through other dinghies to get to the dock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
...However, it’s better to just have a really long painter and put your dinghy three rows back out to Sea, tying up to the same rail everyone else is tied to. Then you climb over all of the other dinghies to get ashore. That’s the most courteous way to do it in crowded New England docks in the summer.

The person that told you not to go into the crowd of dinghies was probably incorrect. And probably not from there. And probably a know it all nosy person. Lol

Actually it was just the two women sitting in the front of the dinghy that liked the look of the next spot.
I'm glad to know that even at Martha's Vineyard people do feel free to climb over the other dinghies as needed. I would have been comfortable with that approach over "going to the front of the line".

Quote:
Originally Posted by captstu View Post
Is it possible someone accidentally snagged your painter in their engine and tangled it up?
I really don't think so. If anything, our painter could have been left longer.

Quote:
This...is called dipping the eye.

So in recent weeks I have read about "dipping the eye" but couldn't visualize it. Thanks, Gord, that image makes a lot more sense to me than just the words alone.

Quote:
We do similar at some docks and when beaching the dink as well but the docks on Martha's Vineyard not a viable technique. Problem there is the dinghy docks are in tight areas with limited maneuvering room all around so if the dink is too far off the dock you'll be in a fair way or block the access into the dinghy dock...Really one of the most crowded and messiest dinghy dock setups I've seen.
This exactly! We had just come around the bend of the last fairway, and boom, there are all the dinghies. "Limited maneuvering" for sure.

Thanks, everyone, for making me feel better about a situation that seemed almost too silly to post. First world problems. I had been worried that if I couldn't figure out the correct thing to do in my own native land, how was I going to figure out what to do far from home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
Just take it as another dinghy dock experience - no scars, all good, carry on.

--Cheryl

P.S. This is my first attempt trying multiple quotes in one post. Fingers crossed it approximates what I was attempting to do.
P.P.S. Eventually I hope my husband will get on the forum, and he can discuss much more interesting topics than PARKING THE DINGHY in the wrong spot!

Tags
dinghy, dock