Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2017, 21:27   #1

Boat: Sabre 28
Doh!

So I finally get my boat splashed, and me and the fiance are learning the joys of living on a boat, ie. Wet everything, weather, at least two things breaking a day, etc.
We are day hopping our way down the coast because she has never sailed before, and an overnight is not yet feasible. Along comes a squall and I hurriedly reef the mailsail, but cause a tear. Later after shaking out the reef the small tear in the main sail becomes a blow out and we limp into ossabaw sound, and sail up to a great marina called fort McAllister marina. I have a spare sail on board that I believe I got from cruiserforums, but I cannot remember if it is too large, the jib, or the mainsail. So after calling off the voyage, lining up a sail maker, and renting a car I pulled out the extra sail only to find out the sail is slightly smaller, but perfectly usable version of the sail we blew out, and there was no reason to interrupt our voyage. Doh!
I knew my Mai sail was worn out,and bought a backup, but unfortunately forgot the details, and am now kicking myself for not trusting in my fore sightedness.
So the gist of this post is to trust your instincts, and take an inventory before you had out.
Look forward to a sail wanted post in the classifieds because who would be foolish enough to head out without backup sails?
Old 24-01-2017, 22:31   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Doh!

Shakedown cruises are all part of passage preparation.
Old 31-01-2017, 08:45   #3

Boat: others

Make a list of what you have bought and stick it to the underside of the chart table then you know where and what you have honest its easy when u get used to the system as you use cross of the list and replenish when you can easy
tonytheboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 08:52   #4

Welcome to the sailing life! The first year is probably the hardest. By the end of that year you will have things figured out and know what you really need and want. Have fun! Trust your instincts.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote